FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vatican City Explained
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet.

Snarky.  And I'm not entirely sure it's accurate.  To be effective, snark must always be pointedly accurate.  But it's a skill few possess.
(04-11-2013, 10:44 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Snarky.  And I'm not entirely sure it's accurate.  To be effective, snark must always be pointedly accurate.  But it's a skill few possess.

I agree it's snarky (and who would know better than the good Doctor? LOL) but I didn't notice any errors. Huh?
I was thinking that it was kind of snarky.  It tries to make the pope look like the despotic leader of some kind of business.
(04-11-2013, 10:45 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2013, 10:44 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Snarky.  And I'm not entirely sure it's accurate.  To be effective, snark must always be pointedly accurate.  But it's a skill few possess.

I agree it's snarky (and who would know better than the good Doctor? LOL) but I didn't notice any errors. Huh?

I just wasn't sure about the Holy See being a corporation and how the Holy See is separate from the nation of Vatican City.  Or is it a city-state?  Nation-state?  I dinna kin.
(04-12-2013, 07:58 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2013, 10:45 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

I just wasn't sure about the Holy See being a corporation and how the Holy See is separate from the nation of Vatican City.  Or is it a city-state?  Nation-state?  I dinna kin.

The Holy See is, in terms of US law, a 'corporation sole', just as every diocese is. Since the official title of the other entity is the Vatican City State or State of the Vatican City (Stato della Città del Vaticano, in Italian) I guess it's officially a 'city-state', but it is a recognised nation at international law, sends and receives ambassadors, etc. just like any other nation. However, legally, they are two separate entities, even tho' ruled by the same man. In those countries which do not recognise the Vatican diplomatically the Pope sends an Apostolic Delegate to liase with the Church. In those that do, he sends an Apostolic Nuncio as Ambassador to that country. In many Catholic countries and some non-Catholic ones, the nuncio is de jure Dean of the Diplomatic Corps. In the others countries the Dean is the senior ambassador.

Oh and BTW, I think you meant 'dinna ken' LOL