FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: When the Novus Ordo meets the Byzantines!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
>sad

See if you can stomach this video. Now if you know anything about the Orthodox, particularly the ROC, you'll know that this video will make them want to vomit and cast a thousand anathemas at the Roman Church. Before I started learning and loving the Byzantine Rites (specifically the Russian Church) I thought I was a somewhat strict rubricist and understood what a "High" liturgy is all about. Anyway have a look at this video. It's... I don't even know. The singing is really nice, but just compare the two videos.

For a start, why on earth is there a Swiss Army knife on the altar - I assume he will be using it as a liturgical Spear. My goodness. Anyway, watch and enjoy (first part seems to be him just talking):

Compare with:

The sad thing is that the "Novus Ordo Byzantine Rite", despite the Swiss Army knife, is still better than most NOMs I've been to.  Cry(

What's up with that giant chalice in the properly celebrated Byzantine Rite video?
(04-12-2013, 05:31 AM)Adelbrecht Wrote: [ -> ]The sad thing is that the "Novus Ordo Byzantine Rite", despite the Swiss Army knife, is still better than most NOMs I've been to.  Cry(

What's up with that giant chalice in the properly celebrated Byzantine Rite video?

Yeah when I posted the video I actually thought the same thing about it being better in some ways than most NO's I have been to  Huh?

Generally the chalice is bigger in the Russian Orthodox Church than in the west (from what I have seen) but yeah this chalice is huge. Probably because it's an important Mass (Byzantine Christmas?) and in Moscow with thousands of people attending. More people = more precious blood.
I have one personal experience with Eastern liturgy, a Greek Orthodox wedding at the local Greek Orthodox Cathedral (both parties to the wedding were Orthodox)--it was just as bad as any bad NO Catholic Mass. it opened with a cheesy 70s style processional hymn, there was a pantsuited woman and two casually dressed men right up in front of the iconostasis that did the signing throughout the liturgy, no women had a head covering (including the pant-suited singer, despite most being Orthodox) there was no iconostasis doors (although maybe because there is no Eucharist in the wedding liturgy they took them off), and the priest constantly broke with the flow of the liturgy to tell jokes or add his own stuff.  It wasn't really what I was expecting. Shrug
(04-12-2013, 05:31 AM)Adelbrecht Wrote: [ -> ]What's up with that giant chalice in the properly celebrated Byzantine Rite video?

Whether Orthodox or Byzantine Catholic, communicants at the Divine Liturgy receive under both sacred species.  With what appears to be a large congregation through the Royal Doors in the iconostasis, the chalice will be full of the Precious Body and Blood so all may receive.

As a side note, our priest at St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church in Anchorage, AK taught us to kiss the chalice after receiving as the chalice is a type of the Blessed Mother.
The title of this thread sounds like a bad B-movie on the Night Owl Theater.

LOL