FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Archbishop Wolfgang Haas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know about Archbishop Wolfgang Haas? I have heard that  he  was so  unpopular in his former diocese that Pope John Paul II established an archdiocese just for him. I don't know if that is correct though.
That is the story I have heard originally. At one point he was Bishop of the diocese of Chur in Switzerland (which at that time included all of Liechtenstein.) He is very conservative and so very unpopular. The priests practically revolted from what I heard. So John Paul II established the new Diocese of Vaduz, which is all of Liechtenstein.

Recently, Archbishop Haas had the chrism mass for his diocese in the traditional form. It was the first time this had been done anywhere (excluding the situation in Campos Brazil) since the switch to the new mass.
Here's his info from Catholic Hierarchy... http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/bhaasw.html
He's a great Archbishop!!
The Truth is rarely popular.  Good on the Archbishop.
(04-26-2013, 01:59 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]That is the story I have heard originally. At one point he was Bishop of the diocese of Chur in Switzerland (which at that time included all of Liechtenstein.) He is very conservative and so very unpopular. The priests practically revolted from what I heard. So John Paul II established the new Diocese of Vaduz, which is all of Liechtenstein.

That is correct.

Mr. Haas was born in Vaduz in 1948, which is the capital of the Principality of Liechtenstein, belonging ecclesiastically to Chur (in Switzerland).

He seems to have evolved into a great Tridentine performer (Cappa magna included to be sure), but one should note as a sobering fact that he was ordained in 1974 and consecrated in 1988.

At first sight, he seems to be more discreet about his quadragesimal prowesses, though

[Image: Mgr_Wolfgang_Haas.jpg]

and:

http://es.gloria.tv/?media=147896