FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral (and other modern churches)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whenever I visit Liverpool, I cannot contain my disgust whenever I see this specimen (despite being a house of God). It must be one of the most horrific buildings I've ever seen, never mind one of the most horrific churches.

[Image: rc1.jpg]

Here is the interior:

[Image: flat,550x550,075,f.jpg]

A church, in its ideal form, ought to bring us to our knees in awe and reverence that tries to reflect the majesty of God and not the famed architectural maxim: "Less is more" (or, should I say, "mediocrity and ugliness is humility; and only the 'humble' is truly artistic"). This is nothing but gaudy, hostile, nauseous and malevolent wigwam - certainly not befitting of a great cathedral. My mother excuses it by calling it "interesting" while calling the original design "boring, stuffy and traditional" (I paraphrase slightly). Here is said original design:

[Image: Model_of_Edward_Luyten%27s_original_desi...hedral.jpg]

[Image: liverpool_postcard.jpg]

At least it would have resembled a cathedral. And at least it wouldn't have been hideous.

Does anyone here know of a church that is more oppressive?
Catherdal of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles
[Image: 0007.jpg]
[Image: media_27677.jpg]
The Cathedral of St. Sebastian of Rio de Janeiro
[Image: 640px-Rio-Cathedral1.jpg]
[Image: 640px-Rio_de_janeiro_cathedral_sao_sebastiao_2010.JPG]
Cathedral of Our Lady Aparecida in Brasília
[Image: 640px-Catedral_metropol.jpg]
[Image: 400px-Cat_innen.jpg]
Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland
[Image: 450px-The_Cathedral_of_Christ_the_Light_2724.JPG]
[Image: 484px-Oak_Cathdrl_interior.jpg]
(05-01-2013, 10:00 PM)CatholicLife Wrote: [ -> ]The Cathedral of St. Sebastian of Rio de Janeiro
[Image: 640px-Rio-Cathedral1.jpg]
[Image: 640px-Rio_de_janeiro_cathedral_sao_sebastiao_2010.JPG] this is an aztec temple  Scratching head