FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: PH Omlor, RIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We have lost an extraordinarily good man.

If you would like to know what this man was like, read the Litany of St. Joseph. It's also a description of this wonderful father, Patrick Omlor.

He truly thought nothing of himself. He always did his duty. He was habitually good-humoured, with a ready smile, a seemingly limitless hospitality, and his good will towards all was simply manifest. He did not judge. He loved the truth. His will was not merely of iron, it was of tempered, hardened, steel. He was one of those rare men who made everybody in his presence better than they were. He could tell you the same joke for the fourth time, and you found it irresistibly funny.

He loved baseball. He was an American in his very bones.

He was exceptionally intelligent, and wonderfully clear-minded. A mathematician by trade, he was at one time a professional teacher. He was an extraordinarily effective teacher. From teaching he moved to Stanford Research Institute where he worked in math-oriented research, writing computer programmes (on punch cards!). After emigrating to Australia, he worked in computing at Alcoa. He also assisted a local university with setting difficult mathematics problems for examinations.

He raised ten children who all have the faith and practice it, during the greatest apostasy in history.

Patrick Omlor never assisted at the Novus Ordo Missae. When the new English translation of the Canon of the Mass was introduced publicly in the USA in October, 1967, he took his family to his local parish church as usual, and when he heard the priest utter the butchered words of Our Lord in the consecration of the wine, Patrick Omlor thought, "They have changed Our Lord's own words!" and he walked out, taking the entire family with him.

By his writings against the novelties of the Modernists, he assisted a very great number of other Catholics, including many priests.

He suffered in his health for the past ten or more years. He was familiar with the cross, and he knew how to carry it.

He was anointed on Wednesday by Fr. Shane Johnson whilst still conscious and clear-minded.  His death was as beautiful as his life.  His face is peaceful, his noble brow unfurrowed, he looks to have stopped still, looking to eternity with wonder.

Please pray for him, and for his dear wife and family.

In Christ our King,
John Lane.
Wasn't he in the Reno Diocese when he published his book? How old was he?
One of the first pioneers of Sedevacantism. 
(05-02-2013, 08:56 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't he in the Reno Diocese when he published his book? How old was he?

He was living in Menlo Park, California when he wrote and published his book (1968).  He was born in 1931, in Amarillo, Texas.  His father was a highly decorated WW1 serviceman and the coach of the winning football team in the 1919 Ohio League football championship (the predecessor to the NFL).

(05-02-2013, 09:04 PM)nmoerbeek Wrote: [ -> ]One of the first pioneers of Sedevacantism. 

He didn't write about "sedevacantism" until some time in the 1990s, and my wife (his daughter) tells me that he hardly ever mentioned it in the home when she was growing up.  He was certainly a sedevacantist from at least the late 60's, but it was not his primary interest.  What he was about was the integrity of the faith, and the true mass.

I don't think he was influential in spreading sedevacantism, as such.  In fact, I'd say Archbishop Lefebvre was immeasurably more influential in that direction.  What PH Omlor did was save people from the New Mass and the errors and heresies of Vatican II.
Mr. Omlor's "Questioning the Validity" was a real eye-opener for me. For an excellent read, try "The Robber Church" @ http://www.huttongibson.com/PDFs/huttong...h_book.pdf
(05-02-2013, 09:57 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: [ -> ]Mr. Omlor's "Questioning the Validity" was a real eye-opener for me. For an excellent read, try "The Robber Church" @ http://www.huttongibson.com/PDFs/huttong...h_book.pdf

" There is one and only one place for debate about the wisdom of where to worship: the "Extraordinary Form (Diocesan) vs. SSPX" sub-forum. All talk of schism, warnings about attending this Mass or that, need to be kept there and nowhere else"  Forum Rules
(05-02-2013, 10:10 PM)nmoerbeek Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2013, 09:57 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: [ -> ]Mr. Omlor's "Questioning the Validity" was a real eye-opener for me. For an excellent read, try "The Robber Church" @ http://www.huttongibson.com/PDFs/huttong...h_book.pdf

" There is one and only one place for debate about the wisdom of where to worship: the "Extraordinary Form (Diocesan) vs. SSPX" sub-forum. All talk of schism, warnings about attending this Mass or that, need to be kept there and nowhere else"  Forum Rules

Report me, tough guy.
(05-02-2013, 08:34 PM)John Lane Wrote: [ -> ]We have lost an extraordinarily good man.

[be sure to read the first post in full]

Please pray for him, and for his dear wife and family.

In Christ our King,
John Lane.

What a fine eulogy.  I am confident that it just reflects the man.  I met him once when he visited briefly with my family in California, and I was impressed in particular with his kindness.  My family and I were hugely influenced by his writings.

John, would you mind if I post a copy of your post on Suscipe Domine?

May he rest in peace.  I am praying for him and for you and your family.
You may re-post wherever you like, sir.

Yes, he was incredibly kind-hearted.  Somebody said that he was a man about whom it was impossible to exaggerate.  This is true.
Pages: 1 2 3