FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Church History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just started a course called Church History I: Early Christians to Middle Ages at an online, accredited Catholic university.

Week one's discussion topic is "what is meant by the term Church History?"

The answers of other students vary from mine with some more literal and some more conceptual, as mine is.

Anyway, since I know this forum is full of history nuts, I figured I'd paste my answer and start a running discussion. I'll try to summarize each week's lesson so as to share what I'm learning.

Here's my discussion answer for this week:
"The term Church History is one of both depth in time and promised future presence by the reality of its narrative, good and bad. It is a study of the events of man's sin and natural development of doctrine which prove Christ's promise the gates of Hell shall not prevail. "Nothing under the sun is new" (Ecclesiastes 1:10), and while competitor institutions may rise up and men may fall, no sin can destroy the Church due to man's machinations, bad ideas, or explicit intent to destroy. The history of the Church, as a historical narrative, and the presence of the Church, as promised, is to hope for the future of both Her children and Her. Where the world sees a sign of contradiction and through false, out of context claims or misunderstood study may attack the Church, Church history proves the Church's ensured, and insured, future presence--which shall one day too be Her history. "
"Church History" seems pretty self-explanatory.  It's the history of the Church.  If some professor asked me for a more in-depth answer than that, I would be arrested for shooting him with a Gatling gun that fired a barrage of Snickers bars.  I would be hauled away in handcuffs while shouting about a crazy sucka who wanted pointlessly verbose answers to simple questions.  The last anyone would hear of me would be my final cry, echoing down the hall as I was dragged away...  "GET SOME NUUUUUUUUTS..."  A final exhortation to eat a Snickers and stop being a crazy fool.
I agree, but I don't get an A for shooting the internet. At least he didn't ask how we "feel" about Church History. Big Grin
This could be a good one, keep them coming, J.

tim
I would think Church History can be defined as "the record of Christ's saving action in history after the Ascension."
After all, the Church is the Mystical Body of Christ acting in the world to save souls.
(05-06-2013, 11:09 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: [ -> ]Week one's discussion topic is "what is meant by the term Church History?"

About three credits?
(05-07-2013, 07:28 PM)Warrenton Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2013, 11:09 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: [ -> ]Week one's discussion topic is "what is meant by the term Church History?"

About three credits?

LOL. Indeed.
(05-06-2013, 11:09 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: [ -> ]I just started a course called Church History I: Early Christians to Middle Ages at an online, accredited Catholic university.

Week one's discussion topic is "what is meant by the term Church History?"

The answers of other students vary from mine with some more literal and some more conceptual, as mine is.

Anyway, since I know this forum is full of history nuts, I figured I'd paste my answer and start a running discussion. I'll try to summarize each week's lesson so as to share what I'm learning.

Here's my discussion answer for this week:
"The term Church History is one of both depth in time and promised future presence by the reality of its narrative, good and bad. It is a study of the events of man's sin and natural development of doctrine which prove Christ's promise the gates of Hell shall not prevail. "Nothing under the sun is new" (Ecclesiastes 1:10), and while competitor institutions may rise up and men may fall, no sin can destroy the Church due to man's machinations, bad ideas, or explicit intent to destroy. The history of the Church, as a historical narrative, and the presence of the Church, as promised, is to hope for the future of both Her children and Her. Where the world sees a sign of contradiction and through false, out of context claims or misunderstood study may attack the Church, Church history proves the Church's ensured, and insured, future presence--which shall one day too be Her history. "

I would like to ask what texts are you using for this course?

C.
Cetil,

To answer your question:

The course textbook is "The Catholic Church Through the Ages" by Fr. John Vidmar, O.P. (http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Church-Th...0809142341); the weekly readings include the professor's lesson, the Bible (this week I need to complete Acts of the Apostles in its entirety), and various texts such as "The Historicity of the Gospels" (http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/pbcgospl.htm) by the Pontifical Biblical Commission and writings by the Popes (this week is two general audience transcripts by Pope Benedict XVI).

I'm also taking an Ethics and Morality class and a core-requirement writing class, but that is off-topic.
I used the Vidmar text for two different courses.  Still haven't read the whole thing.  But that's how I roll.  I'd suggest you read it.  Never follow my example on matters academic, that's my advice.  Tip o' the hat I don't have much use fer fancy book lernin'.
Pages: 1 2 3