FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Coercive Proselytism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Uncertainty over what constitutes coercive “proselytism,” which is barred by military policy, has led to concern and criticism of recent statements by the U.S. Department of Defense.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/c...oselytism/
(05-08-2013, 05:36 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]Uncertainty over what constitutes coercive “proselytism,” which is barred by military policy, has led to concern and criticism of recent statements by the U.S. Department of Defense.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/c...oselytism/

I think it has to do with hanging around and pestering people as they go by about your faith or trying to get them to go to some meeting or such. Majority of people react negatively to that approach no matter what faith the proselytizer is proclaiming.
I think (okay, I'm sure) it's purposely vague. It'll probably work the same as workplace "harassment" laws. The question comes down to, Does the person on the receiving end feel "uncomfortable"? Crap, everybody feels uncomfortable these days, so of course they will. Or a good number will anyway.

Funny, don't ask, don't tell just passed from the gays to the "religious folks". Right on schedule!
(05-08-2013, 06:20 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]I think (okay, I'm sure) it's purposely vague. It'll probably work the same as workplace "harassment" laws. The question comes down to, Does the person on the receiving end feel "uncomfortable"? Crap, everybody feels uncomfortable these days, so of course they will. Or a good number will anyway.

Funny, don't ask, don't tell just passed from the gays to the "religious folks". Right on schedule!

Excellent point. The military is about to become bogged down by constant HR remediation.
(05-08-2013, 06:20 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]I think (okay, I'm sure) it's purposely vague. It'll probably work the same as workplace "harassment" laws. The question comes down to, Does the person on the receiving end feel "uncomfortable"? Crap, everybody feels uncomfortable these days, so of course they will. Or a good number will anyway.
Actually the Supreme Court has already weighed in on this issue.
I will share my thoughts on this as someone who recently spent time in the US military and who keeps in close contact with a number of Priests who are Chaplains in various branches.

It should be unsuprising to those familiar with the culture of the US Military that the policies (covered in the article in the OP) are primarily cited in reference to the U.S. Air Force. The Air Force has suffered repeated embarassments recently, and is attempting to recover their image.

One of the largest "scandals"/"controversies" that the Air Force has dealt with over the last several years has been allegation of Evangelical Christian Proselytizing as the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.

The members of the various Evangelical protestant groups as the Air Force Academy were known to distribute religious tracts and many other things that were harmful to military discipline and insulting to people who did not share their millenialist protestant faith. Evangelical Officers who staffed the academy prosleytized in the classroom and as leaders of the various cadet wings and squadrons. There was also in a banner in the lockerroom that said "We play for team Jesus!" Something like 40% of non-Christian cadets reported being targeted for unwanted proselytization.

Anyway, I think this is the behavior the military is trying to avoid. The Air Force has gone farther to seperate themselves from this sort of behavior than the other branches, and now discourages prayers at the beginning of its various events.
(05-08-2013, 11:42 AM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, I think this is the behavior the military is trying to avoid. The Air Force has gone farther to seperate themselves from this sort of behavior than the other branches, and now discourages prayers at the beginning of its various events.

This.  There is no evil conspiracy on the part of the DoD to prevent Catholics from exercising their faith or receiving the sacraments.  There's a difference between that and active, unwelcome proselytizing, which is harmful to military discipline.