FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Are Oaths binding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If a someone swears an oath invoking God, is it binding upon that person to fulfill it? Would it be a sin to break that oath?
(05-10-2013, 10:12 AM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]If a someone swears an oath invoking God, is it binding upon that person to fulfill it? Would it be a sin to break that oath?

Depends on intention, mental state and I guess the object of the oath. My guess is at least venial; probably mortal if the oath isn't fulfilled (though it may not be directly from breaking the oath but rather invoking God's name on something you never intended to dom something like that I guess?). Anyway this is why you never make oaths without your confessor and his permission.
Oaths are dangerous for several reasons. At Audio Sancto there is a sermon on the 2nd and 3rd commandments regarding Our Lady of LaSalette. If I remember correctly it contains a good bit on oaths.

http://www.audiosancto.org/sermon/200401...lette.html

tim
(05-10-2013, 10:30 AM)Felix E Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2013, 10:12 AM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]If a someone swears an oath invoking God, is it binding upon that person to fulfill it? Would it be a sin to break that oath?

Depends on intention, mental state and I guess the object of the oath. My guess is at least venial; probably mortal if the oath isn't fulfilled (though it may not be directly from breaking the oath but rather invoking God's name on something you never intended to dom something like that I guess?). Anyway this is why you never make oaths without your confessor and his permission.

Well there has to be some sort of special significance I would agree. I was thinking somewhat of the English Martyrs under Henry VIII when I posted this topic. They could have sad one of Henry's oath but no honored it - but they obviously refused an it cost them their lives.

Yes and yes. Get hold of a good, pre-Conciliar moral theology manual. Jone, e.g., has a good section on the moral implications of oaths and vows.