FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Franics Wears the Panagia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Coptic Patriarch gave His Holiness a panagia which he wore right away.
[Image: ae733d1d1e934914bd1eca234cce3df3-fd17604...54f8-5.jpg]
[Image: ae733d1d1e934914bd1eca234cce3df3-fd17604...54f8-7.jpg]
That's the Orthodox Coptic Patriarch/Pope. I like him a lot! I always thought that the most likely to return to the fold out of the Orthodox are the Copts (notwithstanding the uniate Copts), but I may be wrong. Cool picture too even if the Panagia is a bit ugly.
May God bless and protect them. I hope the Copts will survive Israeli aggression and Islamist politics and not end up like the Iraqi Christians, and soon the Syrian Christians.
(05-11-2013, 02:09 AM)Felix E Wrote: [ -> ]That's the Orthodox Coptic Patriarch/Pope. I like him a lot! I always thought that the most likely to return to the fold out of the Orthodox are the Copts (notwithstanding the uniate Copts), but I may be wrong. Cool picture too even if the Panagia is a bit ugly.

The "Panagia" ugly? That is a matter of taste. I don't dislike its baroque frame. And the portrait of our Lady bearing the baby Jesus looks like an orthodox icon. Not so ugly in my opinion.
I am very happy that our Holy Father had the opportunity to display himself again as a "marian pope" in wearing the Panagia immediately.
It looks muuuuch better, holy and catholic  than that horrible "Ephod" that Paul VI enjoyed to wear provocatively in his time to please the Jews.
I like that panagia very much, and pray the Copts can survive.
(05-11-2013, 08:45 AM)maso Wrote: [ -> ]The "Panagia" ugly? That is a matter of taste.

No it isn't. I was making an absolute dogmatic statement which you can find in Ott and Denzinger.
Good signs. Very good signs. A lot of the Orthodox seem to be coming close now. Keep them and the Holy Father in your prayers. What a sign to the world and to the other separated brethren if they come into communion!
I think I've realized something very important.  If we can get a schismatic to present the Holy Father with red shoes, a mozzetta and (dare we hope) a tiara, do you think he'll wear them?

SQUEE!!!!!!!!   The anticipation is too much!!!!  :wench:
(05-11-2013, 11:47 AM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]I think I've realized something very important.  If we can get a schismatic to present the Holy Father with red shoes, a mozzetta and (dare we hope) a tiara, do you think he'll wear them?

SQUEE!!!!!!!!   The anticipation is too much!!!!  :wench:

:LOL:
I like it.  It reminds me less of an eastern icon than an Italian image.  It looks like Our Lady of Good Counsel.  There was a lot of artistic crossover up through the 1500s.  Venice looks Greek, and according to art scholars in the know, like Patrick Fermor, one can visit tiny chapels in the Greek countryside are painted in a manner highly suggestive of Giotto and Cimabui. 

I like the Panagia far more than that papal staff that looks like it was sculpted by Picasso.  I would pay the Saracans to attack Rome again, if they would promise to carry that thing off with their loot. 
Pages: 1 2 3