FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I respectfully disagree
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Trads will listen to an argument and then tell you why it is wrong.
Tolerance doesn't mean agreement.
(05-13-2013, 07:44 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-12-2013, 10:57 AM)loggats Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes it seems like the heart of Catholic (especially traddy) debate and discussion is a forceful drive towards total conformity.

You just don't like it when people disagree with you.

Not about 'liking' anything, but good of you to participate I guess.
(05-14-2013, 02:52 PM)loggats Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2013, 07:44 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]You just don't like it when people disagree with you.

Not about 'liking' anything

I respectfully disagree.
(05-14-2013, 03:01 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-14-2013, 02:52 PM)loggats Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2013, 07:44 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]You just don't like it when people disagree with you.

Not about 'liking' anything

I respectfully disagree.
There you go :) You're learning.
The other side of the coin: Taking responsibility for your positions and knowing that the price will be paid in full.
The problem with a forum like this one - if it can be properly be called a problem (no disrespect intended, although I'm sure the knives will come out) - is that certain topics are banned. Yes, I'm talking about sedevacantism. If certain topics are off the table, there's no way for honest debate. If sedevacantism is so out of the question and beyond a possibility, it will be disproven here by sound argument. Bottom line: if the thesis is wrong, there's nothing to fear.
(05-15-2013, 04:27 PM)Semper Idem Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with a forum like this one - if it can be properly be called a problem (no disrespect intended, although I'm sure the knives will come out) - is that certain topics are banned. Yes, I'm talking about sedevacantism. If certain topics are off the table, there's no way for honest debate. If sedevacantism is so out of the question and beyond a possibility, it will be disproven here by sound argument. Bottom line: if the thesis is wrong, there's nothing to fear.

You could claim the same for almost any false position. There is nothing wrong with banning defense of a position that is offensive to pious ears. Especially when it is almost always accompanied by distasteful personal attacks against the hierarchy. And unfrotunately it is also used as a beating stick for traditionalism in general so it's best to totally avoid it. It has nothing to do with fearing the position. I fear it as much as I fear Protestantism, but those with ears often do not hear and as such shout the loudest which can make for a terrible discussion forum.
(05-15-2013, 04:27 PM)Semper Idem Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with a forum like this one - if it can be properly be called a problem (no disrespect intended, although I'm sure the knives will come out) - is that certain topics are banned. Yes, I'm talking about sedevacantism. If certain topics are off the table, there's no way for honest debate. If sedevacantism is so out of the question and beyond a possibility, it will be disproven here by sound argument. Bottom line: if the thesis is wrong, there's nothing to fear.

While I do agree with you, I will say that SV is a unique cancer that twists the very words of the faith, distorts the truth, and seeks to poison the minds of the faithful. A clear example of this has happen to a certain Crunchy forum that has fallen into deep, deep error.
Offensive to your ears, perhaps, but I don't think it would necessarily be offensive to everyone. And who's to say it's necessarily false? I don't say it's true and I don't say it's false. I'm still discerning. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility, though.
(05-15-2013, 04:44 PM)Felix E Wrote: [ -> ]You could claim the same for almost any false position. There is nothing wrong with banning defense of a position that is offensive to pious ears. Especially when it is almost always accompanied by distasteful personal attacks against the hierarchy. And unfrotunately it is also used as a beating stick for traditionalism in general so it's best to totally avoid it. It has nothing to do with fearing the position. I fear it as much as I fear Protestantism, but those with ears often do not hear and as such shout the loudest which can make for a terrible discussion forum.

I respectfully disagree (as do a number of the most-learned pre-Vatican II theologians, not to mention Pontiffs and Doctors as well).
Pages: 1 2 3