FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: For those that attend an Indult Mass....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(05-15-2013, 11:52 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-15-2013, 07:33 AM)Chris87 Wrote: [ -> ]I cant imagine being able to attend a TLM everyweek or Holy Days  it would be unbelievble.
This Comeing from a Scotsman. Some of you Americans are so so blessed and dont realize it, yet complain nonstop, no offence.

This.

That.
Indult was replace by ED, but the term is still heavily used and I even occasionally will use it when I must talk with SV folk or in a mood.

In my area, we have one Low a week (Tuesday evening), but that is often impeded by what seems to be the wind shifting to blow in a different direction. The Low tends to be very Crunchy and in a troubled parish church that is in near ruins.
Yes, my church has holy days in the TLM. If they didn't, for some reason, I'd drive to one within reason. Reasonable for me is up to an hour drive one way. This Ascension was no problem since we had a Mass at Noon. The third option is to go to a NO Mass, when the Mass is the actual holiday. If the feast obligation is moved to Sunday (essentially dispensed), then going to Mass on the feast day is bonus. But I've never had a problem, so I never had had to go that route. If you build it, they will come. It was quite well attended for Ascension. Everyone's situation is different.
(05-15-2013, 12:31 PM)Lateran15 Wrote: [ -> ]Indult was replace by ED, but the term is still heavily used and I even occasionally will use it when I must talk with SV folk or in a mood.

In my area, we have one Low a week (Tuesday evening), but that is often impeded by what seems to be the wind shifting to blow in a different direction. The Low tends to be very Crunchy and in a troubled parish church that is in near ruins.

There are a few options for "The Mass" in Denver area. One purely diocesan Mass, not FSSP, etc.,  is at Holy Ghost and the priest who celebrates it is retiring due to health reasons. He is being replaced by a known liberal priest, and the Mass for those people is now on the chopping block. The ED reality is a facade unless one goes to FSSP or similar. It's still very much indult otherwise, in practice if not the letter of it all. The only protection is with the FSSP, Institute of Christ the King, or SSPX. For Denver, we have no need of the SSPX for the Mass but if that were not the case... I'd never set foot in a Novus Ordo travesty.

If one submits themselves in total to the diocese, they submit themselves to happy-clappy slavery at the whim of those who decide what priest is assigned where. A Latin Mass bone thrown to the house slave is still a bone thrown to a dog.

As for me, I have vehicle and will travel.
(05-15-2013, 12:31 PM)Lateran15 Wrote: [ -> ]Indult was replace by ED, but the term is still heavily used and I even occasionally will use it when I must talk with SV folk or in a mood.

Are we thinking of the same parish? I'm still at a loss as to what 'crunchy' means, but you make it sound like the parish is nothing but "bare, ruined choirs", which I'm fairly sure it is not.
(05-15-2013, 02:50 PM)LongfellowDeeds Wrote: [ -> ]

Are we thinking of the same parish? I'm still at a loss as to what 'crunchy' means, but you make it sound like the parish is nothing but "bare, ruined choirs", which I'm fairly sure it is not.

Until very recently an umbrella was required inside the Church on rainy days. The place has served as a dumping ground in the last decade for Priests that can not be placed elsewhere. The RCIA program, in recent years has been plagued by dangerous faults. There are large, visible holes in the walls and other structural problems exist. And even worse, new Gather hymnals are in all the pew racks.

It is a modern miracle that faith hangs on in this area and only the dictate of the last Archbishop (that there be at least one parish per County, minimally) has saved this last outpost of the Church.
(05-15-2013, 07:33 AM)Chris87 Wrote: [ -> ]I cant imagine being able to attend a TLM everyweek or Holy Days  it would be unbelievble.
This Comeing from a Scotsman. Some of you Americans are so so blessed and dont realize it, yet complain nonstop, no offence.

All too true, Chris.  We have daily TLM (and only TLM), follow the traditional Holy Days and radiate classic Catholicism with parish-wide devotions.  And yet...

You will appreciate this: I and a team of a few others were drafted to serve Mass at a nearby diocesan parish.  It is a work of art, but on the edge of a crack alley.  In any event, I and friends are trying to teach those at this parish how to serve Mass and served a Solemn High for its patronal feast day.

Afterwards we gathered for dinner.  Within seconds of sitting down, one of the peanut gallery proceeded to complain about my home oratory.  Mr. Crabapple dislikes St. X's because he has a big problem with how one of the Priests performs the sprinkling at Asperges.  I kid you not, he was furious that one cleric sprinkled both sides on his way down, as opposed to sprinkling one side and then the other while going back up to the sanctuary.

Or maybe he wanted it the other way around- that was unclear.  What was readily apparent was his anger that the sprinkling sequence was not done the way he wanted.  And so my oratory was not good enough for him.  Bear in mind that the order that runs my chapel is well-known for exceptional liturgies.  And never mind that three men volunteered hours of time to deconstruct a Novus Ordo sanctuary so people like him who do practically no work in any sense could sit back and complain about how a TLM is not done right.

Yes, many trads are their own worst enemy and, in some cases, people I can't stand to be around: Either nothing is right or one is forbidden from any discourse not strictly ecclesial (except of course when the want to sample 'free' wine, calamari and other such fare.)

I try to remember how callous my actions are to Our Lord and try to let the callousness of fellow creatures not affect me so much.

Keep up the good fight in Scotland.
(05-15-2013, 05:37 PM)kingtheoden Wrote: [ -> ]Afterwards we gathered for dinner.  Within seconds of sitting down, one of the peanut gallery proceeded to complain about my home oratory.  Mr. Crabapple dislikes St. X's because he has a big problem with how one of the Priests performs the sprinkling at Asperges.  I kid you not, he was furious that one cleric sprinkled both sides on his way down, as opposed to sprinkling one side and then the other while going back up to the sanctuary.

Odd.  There are three acceptable ways to do the sprinkling of the people at the Asperges:  from the Communion rail (i.e. not going down the aisle at all); walking down the center aisle and returning by the same center aisle, in which case both sides should be sprinkled at the same time to avoid sprinkling people's backs on the return to the Sanctuary; and, in large churches, walking down the aisle to the Epistle side, sprinkling the faithful on that side, and returning by the aisle to the Gospel side, sprinkling the faithful on that side of the church.

As long as the priest was following one of these three methods, he was following the instruction of the S.R.C.  Regardless, it's a rather trivial point.  If I knew the priest well, I might bring it up in conversation, but actually being angry about it?  Not worth it.  I have enough sins to worry about already without adding that to the list.
Pages: 1 2