FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Being new on traditional Catholicism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As someone that is new to Traditional Catholicism I have observed that there are multiple pitfalls that one might fall into. These pitfalls are things that I believe newcombers like myself to tradition should watch out for, but also for everyone else that has been traditional for a while already.

pride- The holier than thou mentality

I have found myself easily fallen into this mentality as a newcomber to tradition. It is something that I believe many people easily fall into. It includes thinking that you are holier than other people. I have found myself as being new to tradition feel holier than other people, and for that reason would have to counteract this feeling of pride. This includes extensive prayer, specifically for humility. Just today I found myself constantly thinking that my Novous Ordo priest a good friend of mine would mess up in his homily. I know that this is not the right mentality. It is a mentality of pride. I have had other feelings similar to this and have had to remind myself that I came to tradition not because I am holier than other people, but for the beauty of it. The lost traditions that we have had. This includes the traditional Latin Mass, amongst many other things. It also includes bringing others towards the saving power of the Catholic church, rather than just telling others to be good at whatever religion they happen to be.

We are all in different places in our spiritual journey

Another pitfall I have observed is forgeting that we are not all in the same place in our spiritual journey. Some of us have been Catholics our whole life, others have converted. Some of us have practiced our Catholic faith our whole lives, others including myself haven't. Not all of us know extensively about the truth in the Catholic church as other people, neverless about things like the Latin Mass. I think that we should always remind ourselves that.

Cultural differences

This is another thing. Not all of us have been raised in the same culture. This has nothing to do with the Catholic church being universal, which it is. Rather it has to do with knowing that many of us have come from different cultures. Not all of us will understand the same thing as another person might.

These are some of the few things that I have found  that someone new to tradition including myself should watch out for. Feel free to add anyother thing to this that you might think people new to Catholic tradition should work on.
What you say has merits but Traditional Catholicism either  the FSSP.ICK kind or the SSPX kind is not the problem in the church. Lets focus on where all the heresies and scandals have occurred the Novus Ordo establishment. Neither the FSSP or the SSPX are responsible for those!
(05-17-2013, 07:11 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]What you say has merits but Traditional Catholicism either  the FSSP.ICK kind or the SSPX kind is not the problem in the church. Lets focus on where all the heresies and scandals have occurred the Novus Ordo establishment. Neither the FSSP or the SSPX are responsible for those!

I don't think Arturo's post was saying that traditional Catholicism is posing a problem to the Church. Rather, he simply makes observations about the unique spiritual temptations that may be particularly poignant to traditionalists.
(05-17-2013, 07:24 PM)Joshua Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2013, 07:11 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]What you say has merits but Traditional Catholicism either  the FSSP.ICK kind or the SSPX kind is not the problem in the church. Lets focus on where all the heresies and scandals have occurred the Novus Ordo establishment. Neither the FSSP or the SSPX are responsible for those!

I don't think Arturo's post was saying that traditional Catholicism is posing a problem to the Church. Rather, he simply makes observations about the unique spiritual temptations that may be particularly poignant to traditionalists.

I am not attacking Traditional Catholicism, but rather stating the pitfalls one may have being new to it. I love traditional Catholicism, but I myself have found myself falling into particular habits, such as those listed above. Holier than thou mentality, forgeting we are not in the same place spiritually, etc.

I think that if one is not carefull they can let something good turn into something bad. Satan likes to work like that. I have seen many times when something that would be good, ends up being bad, not because the thing itself is bad, but rather because the person was not carefull with whatever it happened to be that he was doing.

An example to this would be having an innocent beautiful thought about a person you might like. That itself is not bad, but I from personal experience have noticed that if I am not being careful this thought can go to a whole new direction that is BAD.

I am just trying to tell people to watch out for these pitfalls.
Agree Arturo,for this things my personal jaculatoria is "solo dios conoce los corazones" something like "only God knows what's on human hearts". Love the tradition is always a give not a merit
Ha ha, yeah, new Trads can be annoying.  Don't mean to be condescending or anything as I was that way myself.  They usually want to talk about some horror story at the NO parish they came from: And then Father stood on the altar while juggling!!.  The more seasoned trads say, "Oh really", then get back to telling lies about fishing and their vacation plans.    A Trad parish is a parish.  Period.  It is just like any other parish.  Most people are normal families raising their kids.  You'll find the occasional divorce or adultery.  Or some wingnut saying crazy stuff.  But that's everywhere.  In fact, there are more crazies at the NO Mass with the charismatic crap.  You'll find most of the fellow Trad parishioners are just family people living their lives.
(05-19-2013, 02:29 AM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]Ha ha, yeah, new Trads can be annoying.  Don't mean to be condescending or anything as I was that way myself.  They usually want to talk about some horror story at the NO parish they came from: And then Father stood on the altar while juggling!!.  The more seasoned trads say, "Oh really", then get back to telling lies about fishing and their vacation plans.    A Trad parish is a parish.  Period.  It is just like any other parish.  Most people are normal families raising their kids.  You'll find the occasional divorce or adultery.  Or some wingnut saying crazy stuff.  But that's everywhere.  In fact, there are more crazies at the NO Mass with the charismatic crap.  You'll find most of the fellow Trad parishioners are just family people living their lives.

I agree with this

Father Chad Ripperger in one of his talks called "scandal" said that one of the problems of people that just came towards traditional Catholicism is that they let church scandal get in the way. They let the problems of the church, whichever they may be make them gossip and get outraged. It makes people loose their charity towards their priest. Because of this instead of praying for the priest, and trying to solve the problem, they make the problem worse.

I was a complete prick when I first came to Catholicism. I'm working on it.

If anyone remembers when I was active before, before I went on a hissy due to the crowd which left elsewhere, a hissy due to their neo-naziism cloaked in Catholicism amongst other things, I was absolutely a little jerk. And largely stupid to boot as concerns certain doctrines--but that didn't stop me from knowing everything. I'm still stupid about a lot, but I'm working on not being so in your face.

I just wrote a letter to a priest out of state and discussed this very issue. In part:
Quote:I find that I am often too zealous, or perhaps not zealous enough but certainly too brash in what little zeal I possess. I find it very trying to burn with the zeal of this amazing truth of the Faith while not engaging in verbal fisticuffs over Its defense, or perhaps my erroneous opinion of what the Faith is in total. Additionally, I asked an acquaintance what he thought I might be able to improve on and his answer matched my suspicions: I need to watch my tone and volume, as I come off too wild. Mea culpa! The weird thing is I was not like that before being in the Army and I really think it is one of the things I need to have worked out of me. It was necessary in the military but perhaps is a bit of a shock to the civilized types. ... Either way I seek to improve this and certainly would appreciate your prayers, Father.
(05-19-2013, 08:08 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: [ -> ]I was a complete prick when I first came to Catholicism. I'm working on it.

If anyone remembers when I was active before, before I went on a hissy due to the crowd which left elsewhere, a hissy due to their neo-naziism cloaked in Catholicism amongst other things, I was absolutely a little jerk. And largely stupid to boot as concerns certain doctrines--but that didn't stop me from knowing everything. I'm still stupid about a lot, but I'm working on not being so in your face.

I do remember what you were like before and I have noticed a big change in your recent posts.  I appreciate you sharing that this was a conscious decision. 
The problem always starts with oneself. If everyone stopped finger pointing and started becoming saints, that would bring us a huge step ahead. And that would cut off many of the tendencies cited in the OP at the root. Do not interpret this as ignoring the problems and difficulties in the Church. It is just that you are the only person who has first person knowledge of yourself and can correct yourself. You don't have that knowledge of another, and often cannot correct another. Set the example. Become a saint. Live the holy life. Then when you see a chance to share the Gospel with your neighbor, do it.
Pages: 1 2