FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Legion of Mary, Pope John Paul II, and Eastern Orthodox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So what is the difference between proslytism and reunificationi?
The problem is not with strategy and tactics, but rather the bizarre and novel concept of a "sister church." Christ founded one Church, which is his mystical body. The catholic church is that body. Christ does not have 2 bodies. He does not have 2 churches.
Part of the problem is the misleading language that Pope John Paul II used when talking about the Eastern Orthodox as one of the lungs of the Church:
Ut Unum Sint Wrote:In this perspective an expression which I have frequently employed finds its deepest meaning: the Church must breathe with her two lungs!

There is simply no warrant for this in Tradition. If the Eastern Orthodox constitute a 'lung' then it is one that is not in its proper place i.e. in the Mystical Body. Further, such language implies that the Catholic Church needs the Eastern Orthodox, which it does not since it is a perfect society and possesses all of the helps to sanctification that any human being needs.

Whilst not denying the many good things that the late Holy Father did, I think John Paul II has left a legacy of confusion about some of the fundamental truths of the faith. Sadly, I'm sure when John Paul II is canonised (which now seems inevitable) then a great many Catholics will justify false ecumenism towards the Eastern Orthodox (amongst other misguided actions) by invoking the name of Saint John Paul II. These are strange and terrible times.
(05-23-2013, 07:09 AM)Scotus Wrote: [ -> ]Sadly, I'm sure when John Paul II is canonised (which now seems inevitable) then a great many Catholics will justify false ecumenism towards the Eastern Orthodox (amongst other misguided actions) by invoking the name of Saint John Paul II. These are strange and terrible times.

Some will even convert to Orthodoxy in a protest for his canonization  :LOL:

Or at least as popular legend tells it  :grin:
My parents were active in the Legion of Mary back in the 1950’s and early 1960’s.  One doesn’t hear too much about them anymore, so it’s nice to see that this type of organization is still active.

My only real knowledge is remembering my parents’ work way back when and a conversation with a priest once while in college who was very keen on the LofM apostolate.

With that said my impression (which may be incomplete) has always been that a primary focus of their work has been to reach out to lapsed and fallen away Catholics, and to non Catholics who may have in some manner expressed an interest in the Church.  They often received their “leads” from the parish priest.  I’ve never seen them as an organization which went “door to door” like the Mormons and the Jehovah Witnesses, but maybe that is a part of the apostolate also.  Still, except in certain parts of the country, even going “door to door” it would be unusual for them to encounter an Orthodox to convert, there’s just not that many around in many places, as compared to bible thumping fundamentalists and “snake handlers”, who it would be really fun to convert.

I may not be correctly understanding the complete context of Pope John Paul II’s “two lungs of the Church” analogy, but my understanding has been that he was referring to the Western and Eastern tradition of The Church, NOT to the Orthodox and Catholic Church (the Catholic Church having churches of the Eastern patrimony within Her bosom).

Newyorkcatholic is correct that even pre VII it has been the hope that the various Orthodox communions would reunite themselves to the Holy Apostolic See.

Pope Pius XI wrote of the Orthodox in Rerum Orientalis (1928)
Quote:… among those nations a very great part of Revelation has been religiously preserved, sincere service is rendered to Christ Our Lord, great piety and love are shown towards His sinless Mother, and devout use made of the Sacraments. Therefore, since God in His mercy has willed that men, and especially priests, should as His instruments co-operate in the work of Redemption, what is there left to Us, Venerable Brethren, but once more to supplicate, yea to compel you not only to agree in mind and in heart with Our designs, but also to labor that the longed-for day may soon dawn, when We shall all welcome back, not only a few, but the vast majority of the Greeks, of the Slavs, of the Roumanians, and of the Eastern nations, hitherto separated, to their former communion with the Roman Church.

This type of labor would necessarily occur at the hierarchical level, the role of priests and the laity mostly to foster mutual understanding and dispel animosities that would be a barrier to reunion, I would think. 

In the OP’s citation where it says what is said in reference to the conversion of those who are not Catholics does not apply to our brothers and sisters of the Orthodox Churches does not apply to our brothers and sisters of the Orthodox Churches. we don’t have the additional information to know “what is said”.  I can’t imagine that if an individual who was Orthodox expressed an interest in personally coming into full communion with the Catholic Church (Eastern or Latin Rite) they would be turned away.
Pages: 1 2