FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Traditional Catholics in Boy Scouts? What do we do now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With open and avowed homosexual boy scouts perfectly acceptable in the Boy Scouts of America, what is a traditional Catholic to do?  The new policy states, "No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone."

My son just completed his first year and we both love it.  I feel like I must resign since there nothing morally straight about open and avowed homosexuality.  If they had a policy that one with such leanings must be chaste, I would stay, but the policy as it is written protects the most open and unrepentant queer.  How can I endorse that?

I welcome any advice the forum would like to offer.  Thanks!

Y i'm a leader scout in my country and I think this is one of the most constructive activities a kid or teen can do; I also understand your worry but, in my opinion, the benefit is more than danger. Your kids can take all the good scouting can offer but u always will be his reference of moral.
From their statement:

"Today, following this review, the most comprehensive listening exercise in Scouting's history the approximate 1,400 voting members of the Boy Scouts of America's National Council approved a resolution to remove the restriction denying membership to youth on the basis of sexual orientation alone. The resolution also reinforces that Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting. A change to the current membership policy for adult leaders was not under consideration; thus, the policy for adults remains in place. The BSA thanks all the national voting members who participated in this process and vote."

On the surface, the change only tolerates "orientation" and not conduct, but it certainly is troubling in that it assumes that deviant sexual conduct is only unacceptable because Scouts are minors.  It is hard to imagine how they can continue to resist the pressure for "gay" adult leaders if homosexual practice for adults can be regarded as "morally straight" under the Scout oath.

Your troop is probably OK if you trust the leaders and the sponsoring organization (e.g. a Catholic parish with a good pastor).  Nevertheless, this decision is a very bad mistake.
Catholic parishes who have Boy Scout troops may wish to consider making the switch to Fraternus: http://fraternus.net/wp/
Yes, that's an option: a catholic Scout Association
I was never in Scouts, being a farm kid I was in 4-H and FFA, but I have always had a positive view of them and have many friends who were scouts, and their sons are scouts.  On the surface I would agree with ElGato … the benefit is more than danger. Your kids can take all the good scouting can offer but u always will be his reference of moral.

It appears from the release that they may have simply removed the prohibition rather than explicitly stating that Scouting was “open to all sexual orientations”.  I have an acquaintance in her 80’s who was a staff member for the Girl Scouts for many years.  She was once asked why the controversy hadn’t come up with GS and she said that it had never been an issue, orientation was simply not part of their by-laws.  As far as I know neither was it ever part of the membership requirements for 4-H or FFA, and neither way back then nor now has there been a issue with “open and avowed homosexuals”.  I doubt the organization will be invaded.

In my part of the woods (eastern WA State) the bigger concern among many is the domination of the Scouting organization by the LDS Church here, and the Knights of Columbus have been involved with starting new troops where there wasn’t a non LDS option available.
I don't agree with their decision.

What I gather its tolerance not teaching it. Other groups will valve this as a victory and continue to perverse the world. So embracing it or offering a badge for it will probably be next. They're already complaining that they can have leaders be homosexuals.

Leaders being homosexuals is so dangerous.
Homosexuality destroys everything it touches. Sad to see the Boy Scouts cave in to the world.
(05-23-2013, 08:33 PM)Ursus Wrote: [ -> ]I don't agree with their decision.

What I gather its tolerance not teaching it. Other groups will valve this as a victory and continue to perverse the world. So embracing it or offering a badge for it will probably be next. They're already complaining that they can have leaders be homosexuals.

Leaders being homosexuals is so dangerous.

Those homosexual activists pushing for this change have been very open about this being only a first step.  This is not the end game by a long shot. 
Exactly, the homosexuals will not stop with this.  Should Catholics depart from the organization now or wait?  A group called http://www.Onmyhonor.net is planning to meet in Louisville next month to discuss establishing a rival organization.
Pages: 1 2