FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Article on anti-Catholicism in English History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/93506...rming.html

Quote: For five centuries England has been in denial about the role of Roman Catholicism in shaping it. The coin in your pocket declares the monarch to be Defender of the Faith. Since 1558 that has meant the Protestant faith, but Henry VIII actually got the title from the Pope for defending Catholicism against Luther. Henry eventually broke with Rome because the Pope refused him a divorce, and along with the papacy went saints, pilgrimage, the monastic life, eventually even the Mass itself – the pillars of medieval Christianity.

To explain that revolution, the Protestant reformers told a story. Henry had rejected not the Catholic Church, but a corrupt pseudo-Christianity which had led the world astray. John Foxe embodied this story unforgettably in his Book of Martyrs, subsidised by the Elizabethan government as propaganda against Catholicism at home and abroad. For Foxe, Queen Elizabeth was her country’s saviour, and the Reformation itself the climax of an age-old struggle between God, represented by the monarch, and the devil, represented by the Pope

The author concludes:
Quote: It is time to look again at the Reformation story. There was nothing inevitable about the Reformation. The heir to the throne is uneasy about swearing to uphold the Protestant faith, and it seems less obvious than it once did that the religion which gave us the Wilton Diptych and Westminster Abbey, or the music of Tallis, Byrd and Elgar, is intrinsically un-English. The destruction of the monasteries and most of the libraries, music and art of medieval England now looks what it always was – not a religious breakthrough, but a cultural calamity. The slaughtered Popish martyrs look less like an alien fifth column than the voices of a history England was not allowed to have.
Wow !

tim
Nice. Eamon Duffy has some good books. Strangely though (just hearsay and a recollection from a vague memory) I think he's a bit of a liberal. I pray not, but I have a memory of either reading something of his condoning some way out stuff, or I had a conversation about it. Either way, God bless him.
I know I have come across the name Eamon Duffy before but I am blanking out on where.  My reaction to the article was much like Tim's.  I just felt "wow".  I think it is hard for me to really grasp how deeply anti-Catholicism is ingrained in some people. 
(05-24-2013, 01:01 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]I know I have come across the name Eamon Duffy before but I am blanking out on where.  My reaction to the article was much like Tim's.  I just felt "wow".  I think it is hard for me to really grasp how deeply anti-Catholicism is ingrained in some people. 

The Stripping of the Altars is his most famous book (traddies love it unsurprisingly as it gives them an historical look at the deformation, and they then have the ammo to shoot at the deformation post 1969 Missal).
(05-24-2013, 01:32 PM)Felix E Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-24-2013, 01:01 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]I know I have come across the name Eamon Duffy before but I am blanking out on where.  My reaction to the article was much like Tim's.  I just felt "wow".  I think it is hard for me to really grasp how deeply anti-Catholicism is ingrained in some people. 

The Stripping of the Altars is his most famous book (traddies love it unsurprisingly as it gives them an historical look at the deformation, and they then have the ammo to shoot at the deformation post 1969 Missal).

Yes, I have had that book recommended to me.
(05-24-2013, 12:00 PM)Felix E Wrote: [ -> ]Nice. Eamon Duffy has some good books. Strangely though (just hearsay and a recollection from a vague memory) I think he's a bit of a liberal. I pray not, but I have a memory of either reading something of his condoning some way out stuff, or I had a conversation about it. Either way, God bless him.

Oh, yeah, he is a big time liberal, at least on doctrine.  He's expressed support for "ordaining" women, among other things.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commenta...-disagree/