FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Pope: Finish your dinner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Pope Francis has said that there are people starving all over the world, and it's your fault for not cleaning your plate. If you had just eaten that last macaroni noodle, little shoeless Juanito in Ek Balam would still be alive. How could you?

He also said to wash your hands after using the toilet, hold hands when crossing a street, and don't accept any apples from strangers.

Wasting food is like stealing from poor, pope says
Reuters
http://news.yahoo.com/wasting-food-steal...28292.html

Wasting food is like stealing from the poor, pope says
Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/20...-poor-pope

Pope Francis: 'Wasting Food Is Like Stealing From The Poor'
Huffington
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/..._hp_ref=uk
There used to be a saying; Take all you want. Eat all you take.
And as my Uncle Lorenzo used to say and I'll translate from Genovese, "all that you eat so must you shit". In short greed is wicked evil.

tim
When people acquire more than they need, and then waste/destroy the superfluous, they decrease the overall resource supply which is destined by God to support the needs of all men.  Nothing new here. St. Bernard said:  “It is ours, for the poor cry out for what you squander; you cruelly take away from us what you spend foolishly.” This quote and many more are presented in the following passage from St. Robert Bellarmine:

St. Robert Bellarmine, On Dying Well Wrote:The passages from the Fathers are chiefly these: St. Basil, in his Sermon to the Rich, thus speaks: "And thou, art thou not a robber, because what thou hast received to be given away, thou supposest to be thy own?" And a little farther he continues: " Wherefore, as much as thou art able to give, so much dost thou injure the poor." And St. Ambrose, in his 81st Sermon, says: "What injustice do I commit, if, whilst I do not steal the goods of others, I keep diligently what is my own? impudent word! Dost thou say thy own ? What is this ? It is no less a crime to steal than it is not to give to the poor out of thy abundance." St. Jerome thus writes in his Epistle to Hedibias: " If you possess more than is necessary for your subsistence, give it away, and thus you will be a creditor."

St. John Chrysostom says in his 34th Homily to the people of Antioch: "Do you possess anything of your own ? The interest of the poor is entrusted to you, whether the estate is yours by your own just labours, or you have acquired it by inheritance." St. Augustine, in his Tract on the 147th Psalm: “Our superfluous wealth belongs to the poor; when it is not given to them, we possess what we have no right to retain.” St. Leo thus speaks: “Temporal goods are given to us by the liberality of God, and He will demand an account of them, for they were committed to us for disposal as well as possession.”

And St. Gregory, in the third part of his Pastoral Care: “Those are to be admonished, who, whilst they desire not the goods of others, do not distribute their own; that so they may carefully remember, that as the common origin of all men is from the earth, so also its produce is common to them all: in vain, then, they think themselves innocent, who appropriate to themselves the common gifts of God.” St. Bernard, in his Epistle to Henry, archbishop of Sens, saith: “It is ours, for the poor cry out for what you squander; you cruelly take away from us what you spend foolishly.” St. Thomas also writes: “The superfluous riches which many possess, by the natural law belong to the support of the poor”; and again: “The Lord requires us to give to the poor not only the tenth part, but all of our superfluous wealth.” In fine, the same author, in the fourth book of his “Sentences,” asserts that this is the common opinion of all theologians. I add also, that if one be inclined to contend that, taking the strict letter of the law, he is not bound to give his superfluous riches to the poor; he is obliged to do so, at least by the law of charity. It matters little whether we are condemned to hell through want of justice or of charity.

More from St. Robert on letting goods go to waste:

St. Robert Bellarmine, The Minds Ascent to God Wrote:For those superfluous Riches, which you have kept under guard, and have permitted to be devour'd by Rust, whenas you ought to have dispers'd them amongst the Poor; and the spare Garments which you have chosen to be eaten by Moths, rather than be made a covering for those that were cold and naked ; and your Gold and Silver, which you have suffered to be devoured by Canker, rather than exchang'd for Bread for the Hungry; all these, I say, will exhibit severe Evidence against you, in the Day of Judgment. The Moths, with the Rust of your Riches, shall be converted into vehement Fire, which shall everlastingly devour your Flesh, and never consume it, that the Fire may be unquenchable, and your Anguish without Remedy.
I've heard that around 1/3 of all vegetables are rejected and wasted for not meeting aesthetic guidelines from supermarkets (here in the UK anyway). So before it's even reached our dinner-plate we're wasting good food because we're scared of a strangely shaped cucumber.

I don't mean we as in all of us here. Just we as in the West. My step-brother throws away about 1/2 of his toast because he only eats the center and avoids the edges. Chucks the rest away. Really rustles my jimmies to see that. So much waste going on both in terms of lack of common sense and love of sensuality (I am sure that at least 25% of the UK eats well over double their caloric limit 2-3 times per week). But nooooo the world's poverty is because of the 'Vatican' with it's gold vestments.
The West, all of us, have forgotten what it was like a short fifty years ago. Charity is the inverse of prosperity. When we in the West had less we shared with our neighbors. Just an example the UK was near revolution in the years after the war because of lack of jobs ending in the 70's. America had a vast working class and middle class was far away. My mother and grandmother would give our hand me downs to families in the neighborhood, and send the rest to family in Ne, Genova after the war.
I don't see anything like that, now.

tim
But if people only bought as much food as they could eat, this would decrease production and decrease employment overall.

In survival conditions where there is less food than demand for it, then the Holy Father's comments might make sense, but in the present world there is more than enough food for everyone, the question is really one of corrupt governments limiting distribution.
(06-13-2013, 09:11 AM)Felix E Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard that around 1/3 of all vegetables are rejected and wasted for not meeting aesthetic guidelines from supermarkets (here in the UK anyway). So before it's even reached our dinner-plate we're wasting good food because we're scared of a strangely shaped cucumber.

I don't mean we as in all of us here. Just we as in the West. My step-brother throws away about 1/2 of his toast because he only eats the center and avoids the edges. Chucks the rest away. Really rustles my jimmies to see that. So much waste going on both in terms of lack of common sense and love of sensuality (I am sure that at least 25% of the UK eats well over double their caloric limit 2-3 times per week). But nooooo the world's poverty is because of the 'Vatican' with it's gold vestments.

Well it is not as if the vegetables that are rejected are going to a land fill. They are put into processed food products etc.

Anyway, I was raised to eat all my food, but not to completely clean everything from the plate - apparently that can give people the impression that you are gluttonous.
St. John Chrysostom had a few things to say about the poor too. The following are just three quotes I found, but I've read so much more from him regarding waste and poverty. 

"Not to enable the poor to share in our goods is to steal from them and deprive them of life. The goods we possess are not ours, but theirs."

"Lift up and stretch out your hands, not to heaven, but to the poor; for if you stretch forth your hands to the poor, you have reached the summit of heaven, but if you lift up your hands in prayer without sharing with the poor, it is worth nothing."

"Every family should have a room where Christ is welcome in the person of the hungry and thirsty stranger."
I worked in the food business and retail. LOTS of stuff is thrown away. Lots of food is thrown away. Meanwhile people are licking their bowls from starvation. I think that's where he is going. Distribution is a big problem, but bloated Westerners is another. Them belly full but we hungry ... And fast once in a while.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5