FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mother driving me batty! re: Adam & Eve
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, my mother is one of these people that thinks because she read a few blogs, forums, websites and opinions of others that she developed an understanding of the bible that most people won't grasp. She claims that she gathered the information from various sources and they all jive with her own theories thus making them 100% correct.

Her factual knowledge is that Adam & Eve never went near a tree or ate any sort of fruit. She is certain that the fruit that is referenced is actually a metaphor for Eve's sexual desires. Eve seduced Adam and they had sexual intercourse for the first time ever...losing their virginities and innocence and causing them to get kicked out. Supposedly their first child was conceived at that time as some sort of sinful, getoutofthegarden baby. The tree of life and knowledge are not and were never meant to be taken literally because GOD always spoke in parables and metaphors.

I tried to explain to her that the fruit they bit into could be taken literally or not but the whole point to the story is that, the garden was indeed a real place, Adam & Eve were real people and they disobeyed GOD's rules. Perhaps the trees were real or maybe they weren't but if the Garden of Eden was real then why wouldn't the trees be real? She refuses to accept any views other than her own "the trees and fruit were just symbols, nothing more.". With charity I tried to meet her halfway again "perhaps they were real, perhaps they weren't. none of us are capable of decoding the bible...only GOD. If you claim to have the knowledge that no one has, that makes you like Eve and you'll be kicked out of the Garden too.".

Help? haha
The creation account in Genesis was literal...real events. Some recommended books are Genesis,Creation and Early Man; The Doctrines of Genesis 1-11 and The First Created Man. All will show that the constant tradition of the Church through the fathers and the saints was to view Adam and Eve as literal people, Eden as a real place and the story of the trees and the fruit as real. This mythologizing  of Genesis is at the very heart of the West's apostasy from God and the Church.
Ask her if they had belly buttons.
I do believe all that happened during creation was to be taken literal. However, if some of it was written in some sort of poetic fashion drenched in metaphor it still would not change the events or message. My mother is driving me nuts, haha. She is so sure she finally knows information others are in denial over. She had the nerve to laugh at me and say that if people read the bible the way that I do then all Christians would believe Adam & Eve were going to live in the Tree of Life forever. I don't understand what she meant by that but whatever haha.

I just can't get through to her. I asked her what makes her so much more knowledgeable than a Pope or the other apologists that studied for most of their lives. She had no answer
Adam and Eve were going to live forever, had they not sinned. If they had eaten of the Tree of Life, they would have been given eternal life, and probably would have been assumed into heaven eventually

Tell your Mom sex isn't t dirty, that Adam and Eve were created with the right parts so they could do that, etc.
It's good to read views that reflect mine!

Vox,
I tried telling her virtually the same thing. She just says that I take things too literally because my mind cannot understand the abstract, hahaha. All I can do is laugh out loud when she says these wacky things. This is also the woman who says she hates going to church when other people are there. She wants go to mass (or just church in general) by herself with no one else there. I tried telling her that GOD wanted us to prayer together. My mother is getting weirder the older she gets! She's only 47! What's going to happen when she's 55? Even more stubborn?
(06-19-2013, 07:46 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]It's good to read views that reflect mine!

Vox,
I tried telling her virtually the same thing. She just says that I take things too literally because my mind cannot understand the abstract, hahaha. All I can do is laugh out loud when she says these wacky things. This is also the woman who says she hates going to church when other people are there. She wants go to mass (or just church in general) by herself with no one else there. I tried telling her that GOD wanted us to prayer together. My mother is getting weirder the older she gets! She's only 47! What's going to happen when she's 55? Even more stubborn?

I'm 50, and I predict yes. More stubborn :P
Honestly get her those books i mentioned especially the doctrines of Genesis 1-11 one which is a deeply Catholic look at Creation. What she is saying I'd the same old tired arguments and points rationalists and modernists have been saying for years. its hard to be too hard on her though, as the de-mythologizing of Genesis has been par for the course in Catholic circles for a long time now.I've heard priests spouting the same nonsense....probably learned it in seminary "theology" courses.
(06-19-2013, 04:13 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]Her factual knowledge is that Adam & Eve never went near a tree or ate any sort of fruit. She is certain that the fruit that is referenced is actually a metaphor for Eve's sexual desires. Eve seduced Adam and they had sexual intercourse for the first time ever...losing their virginities and innocence and causing them to get kicked out. Supposedly their first child was conceived at that time as some sort of sinful, getoutofthegarden baby. The tree of life and knowledge are not and were never meant to be taken literally because GOD always spoke in parables and metaphors.
That doesn't make sense. God specifically told Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply, i.e. to have intercourse. And then he punishes them for following his command?  ???
Pages: 1 2