FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Political theory and Catholic social teaching
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I side with Ferrara over Woods in that debate. His arguments (and that of Distributist folks) just win in the long run. Taken to the logical end, the Libertarian doctrines are, well, liberal...hence the name. Born of freemasonry and of the protestant revolt and of usury and of the so called enlightenment.

That being said, libertarianism is better than what we have now. It would reset the clock, so to speak, and in a few decades we would be right back to this point again.

And that being said....while I tend to side with the distributist approach, I think ain't nothin gonna work this side of a chastisement...or the consecration of Russia in accord with Heaven's request. Whichever comes first.

The Distributist Review - http://distributistreview.com/mag/ - has interesting articles from that economic perspective.
Peter II - the question is not IF we have a government or IF we have a King, it's whether we have a government that recognizes Christ as King, or denies it. Ya gotta serve someone, as the saying goes. Goes for nations as well as individuals. Social Reign of Christ the King (See Quas Primus...and Libertas too on the encyclicals page).
Yep, I'd say the USA founding documents with some judicious Catholic editing, and confessing Christ the King, we'd be okay.The founding fathers all without realizing where basing their work on S. Roberto Bellarmine, and some on Fr. Suarez, with the removal of their Protestant and Masonic deviations, the USA would be a decent Nation. Just a bit of irony, when Eisenhower was President we had 95% at the top of income tax, and we grew magnificently. And contrary to popular mythology, Chicagoans of African descent were doing well, but none of us of any color had entitlement fever like today.

tim
(07-01-2013, 08:07 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone read writings from Tom Woods? Do you guys reccommend his work? I like the fact that he is a traditional Catholic and has written about the Catholic Faith, however I have heard mixed reviews over the economic view points he holds.
Tom Woods is great. I highly recommend his works, especially The Church and the Market, and Beyond Distributism. The latter one I believe is just a kindle version. There is also a good book I read recently, Free is Beautiful, why Catholics should be Libertarian, by Randy England.
(07-02-2013, 07:46 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, I'd say the USA founding documents with some judicious Catholic editing, and confessing Christ the King, we'd be okay.The founding fathers all without realizing where basing their work on S. Roberto Bellarmine, and some on Fr. Suarez, with the removal of their Protestant and Masonic deviations, the USA would be a decent Nation. Just a bit of irony, when Eisenhower was President we had 95% at the top of income tax, and we grew magnificently. And contrary to popular mythology, Chicagoans of African descent were doing well, but none of us of any color had entitlement fever like today.

tim
Tim, wasn't it you that posted something a while back showing the similarity of the US founding and Saint Robert Bellarmine and Fr. Suarez? I believe it was an article. If you have it, can you re-post it?
Distributism is fantastic and, in my opinion, the only logical economy philosophy/theory a good Catholic can follow.
(07-02-2013, 09:25 AM)Farmer88 Wrote: [ -> ]Distributism is fantastic and, in my opinion, the only logical economy philosophy/theory a good Catholic can follow.
This is a huge mistake to make. You make the assumption that if a Catholic disagrees with you, they're not a good Catholic.
As a very old priest I knew that drove a brand new 1959 chevy station wagon would always say and he was a corn ball to the max, Abra-Ca-Dabra-Presto-Change-O-Transatlantico-Poof !!

I think was the article, but several years ago I had one which went point by point and I can't seem to find that.

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/l...ecnum=6607

tim

I have in my possession a book called Conferences For Men, a book from the early 1900's written for groups like the Holy Name Society. The imprimatur is... 1917 or 1920, I'd have to re-look. Either way, it goes into explanations of doctrines, including Social Teaching, in a manner accessible to most. I've been considering doing some transcribing, and might hit those up first.

As far as Distributism, I cannot get a solid, consistent explanation from people outside of perhaps just the dry concrete which makes up its foundations. Even then, there seems to be disagreement on its mixture. Worse, the manner of implementation is not well-explained. It sounds to me like all the commies, libertarians, etc. when explained; "a vague mist of ethical platitudes," as C.S. Lewis described of Protestantism going bad. And no wonder, for it's merely the ideas of men based on even the notions of truth, but without the test of much beyond fantasy-filled gaps in explanation.

I can lend my support to things if they are cogent beyond the emotion-filled concept stage. At this juncture I don't see a hope for any system before the complete societal collapse necessary to provide the arable land and space for a new crop of destined to failure edibility. Will not man corrupt that which is good, without protection of the Holy Ghost?

Economic theories seem to be bubble gum on leaking ships' breaking bows in the high seas of man's sin-induced chaos.

If the goal is reduction or destruction of poverty in fact, it's going to fail. We'll always have the poor with us.

I look forward to any sources put forth on moving the idea beyond itself into action, and in a way that isn't steeped in fantasy supporting the walls.

(07-02-2013, 10:02 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]As a very old priest I knew that drove a brand new 1959 chevy station wagon would always say and he was a corn ball to the max, Abra-Ca-Dabra-Presto-Change-O-Transatlantico-Poof !!

I think was the article, but several years ago I had one which went point by point and I can't seem to find that.

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/l...ecnum=6607

tim
Thank You Tim.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6