FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Student ordered to remove cross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A student at Sonoma State University was ordered by her supervisor to remove her cross necklace while she was working at an orientation for new students.

Audrey Jarvis, 19, was told “that she could not wear her cross necklace because it might offend others, it might make incoming students feel unwelcome, or it might cause incoming students to feel that ASP [Associated Students Productions] was not an organization they should join,” her attorney said.

The supervisor also said that the university’s chancellor had forbidden the wearing of religious items, according to the attorney.

Jarvis is “a strong Christian, a faith-filled young woman who spent her summers at Catholic camp,” her mother observed.

Her mother recounted that Jarvis said, “Our faith was attacked. It’s unnerving. I know what’s going on in this country. I know Christianity is being attacked. Now, I know it first-hand and it sickens me and saddens me.”

Ruben Armiñana, the university’s president, offered a public apology.

“It was a stupid request and uncalled for and unsubstantiated and the person who did it has admitted all that,” said Armiñana, who added that there are “no constraints whatsoever, and there should not be and there will not be, about wearing what you want to wear — a cross, the Star of David, a covering on your head.”

When asked whether Jarvis’s supervisor would be disciplined, Armiñana said, “I think I’m going to let the process dictate that.”

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=18366
" it might make incoming students feel unwelcome, or it might cause incoming students to feel that ASP [Associated Students Productions] was not an organization they should join.
I wonder how it made her feel or if ASP is an organization that any Christian should want to join?
Good on this young person to have the courage to stand up with conviction for her beliefs.  Courage has not been seen in abundance by many church leaders who at times give every indication that they are more interested in the popularity of the church and in the appeasement of the secular world, than for standing with conviction and defending the faith
This sort of thing will only get worse a time goes on and it will be a huge temptation for us because it is so easy to fall for human respect and peer pressure and just "go along to get along". There might come a time when to refuse to remove a Cross or to refuse to stomp on a crucifix or take an oath of atheism or pluralist secularism might cost one a job,a livelihood. This pushing faith to the private sphere alone is the consequence of pluralism, almost the natural logical consequence of it.
This is more pervasive than we think. I've had nurses in examining me point at my crucifix and scapular and ask me to remove them because she wouldn't listen to my heart unless I did,. I hold them in my hand but refuse to take them off. You guys better believe, we with these sacramentals,, are considered to be dangerous throwbacks like neanderthals.The society at large because of the propaganda from SPLC and the ADL and the many other progressive groups intend to make us so.

tim
Because it might offend someone? TFB!. What about the young lady being offended by being asked to remove it? That doesn't count? Their offence is more important than the young lady's is what they are saying. They are more important than her. I would not remove it! Tell them you choose to follow God not man. Its her right to wear it. I would go above the satanic fool and report her to a superior, if that didn't work, consider contacting a lawyer. Contact the local news agency, give them some bad pub.

It really is time to take a stand and battle these satanic forces.
(07-06-2013, 10:31 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]This is more pervasive than we think. I've had nurses in examining me point at my crucifix and scapular and ask me to remove them because she wouldn't listen to my heart unless I did,. I hold them in my hand but refuse to take them off. You guys better believe, we with these sacramentals,, are considered to be dangerous throwbacks like neanderthals.The society at large because of the propaganda from SPLC and the ADL and the many other progressive groups intend to make us so.

tim

:O That's crazy, that she wouldn't listen to your heart while you were wearing sacramentals! I'll bet if you had been wearing a medical ID pendant, or some kind of military pendant there wouldn't have been a problem.  >:(
Deidre, that's why I tell these little tales, I believe it's my job here. These incidents are not isolated. I'm at the mercy of the most wicked medical system in the world, medicare. If this is how a medical professional, a person dedicated to help in healing, doe, what do we think goes on with the bureaucrats. Satanic is not an understatement.

tim 
Back in the second century, Roman authorities told the Christian bishop Polycarp to stop persuading people to turn from paganism and put their trust in Jesus Christ. He refused.

"Then we'll take all your possessions," they told him.

"Go ahead," he said. "My God has promised to supply all I need according to His riches in glory. He will take care of me." (Philippians 4:17-19)

"If you don't stop preaching, we'll take your wife and children and kill them," they threatened.

"You can't take them away from me," he answered, "for they belong to God. I will spend all eternity in heaven with them." And he continued teaching about the love of God.

They came back with a final warning: "Then we'll kill you."

"That would be best of all," answered Polycarp, for I would go immediately into the presence of my Lord. Nothing could be more wonderful."
:pray:
And if it was a Jewish star all the pressure groups would be there to protect her religious identity, it would be covered in several news stories, the university prez would have to step down, Christians would hold vigils for their Jewish friends. Etc.

Pages: 1 2