FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Leo XIII 's Vision & Prayer Against Satan & his Apostate Host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
    I am certain that most of you are familiar with  Pope Leo's vision or private revelation he received on  October 13, 1884 concerning these very times we live in today.  Exactly 33 years later to the day at High Noon near  Fatima, Portugal people experienced the Miracle of the Sun.  The Holy Father received this revelation after saying Mass and was near the  altar.  So stricken with fear he retired to his chambers and wrote several forms of the Prayer to St. Michael &  a prayer known as "Prayer Against Satan and His Apostate Host."

Pope Leo XIII wrote a prayer of exorcism and he wanted the faithful to pray the Rosary & then recite his prayer Against Satan and his Apostate Host. This is a preventative measure. Said privately in this manner it doesn't violate Canon Law. This is usage is clearly different than those prayers involving those suffering from demonic possession.

I have a copy of the Latin letter written by  Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger,  Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith titled "Inde Ab Aliquot Annis On The Current Norms Governing Exorcisms, Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, September 29, 1985 and the English translation of the same with commentary by Fr. Gabriele Amorth.  This letter from was written in response to grave abusive use of this prayer by laity.

Basically,  I thought as a lay person we are forbidden to use this prayer.    Confused as to why we can no longer follow the Holy Father's instructions,  I asked an exorcist priest who stated  that we can say this prayer as a simple exorcism.    I then asked  three of the exorcists and they all stated the same.    I was assisting at the time the web master of  Catholic exorcist priest from Spain.  After several years of  correspondence we became friends and brothers in Jesus Christ.    When his father became ill with terminal brain cancer  I was asked to help with emails in English to lessen his work load.  Basically people would ask for help or to clarify some point.  If the person's symptoms indicated they needed help we would find a Catholic exorcist priest.  At the time there was only 12 exorcists reportedly in the USA.  Eighteen of these people were able to get public solemn exorcisms as a result of my efforts helping my friend.  I am disabled and largely confined to the house.  I did all this to serve Jesus Christ.

There are no forbidden official prayers; but there are forbidden uses of prayer.  Also, although the Church allows lay deliverance ministers unless one has undergone assisting a Catholic exorcist for a number of years and then after examination by one's Bishop one should not attempt any sort of exorcism or deliverance directly on a person.  But a person can pray indirectly and surely they can pray for themselves and family.

There is a big difference between the usage by laity of  the Prayer Against Satan & His Apostate Host as envisioned by  Pope Leo XIII and attempting a public solemn exorcism on someone deemed possessed.  This particular prayer is recorded in Chapter 3 of the old Roman Missal of  Exorcism.  It is used by priests for demonic infestations and latter was found to be effective or efficacious for the possessed.

I remember on  Fridays in Lent after attending Mass (I went to a Catholic School)  the priest would say this prayer  for us and his Church Parish.  I am certain many here  have memories of priests using this prayer.    Pope Leo XIII  according to my understanding wanted  people to pray this prayer with their family,  priests to pray this prayer for their parishes, and Bishops to pray this prayer for their dioceses.

I post my findings to clear up misunderstandings.  Fr. Gabriele Amorth & Bishop Andrea Gemma both  lecture at the Pontifical University in Rome where exorcism is taught.  I believe it is important to pray the Rosary daily and to say  Pope Leo XIII's prayer.

Here are some of my findings:

Thomas Euteneur wrote a book called "Exorcism and the Church Militant. " Appendix E, pages 260-266 of that volume is titled "Commentary on the 1985 Letter of the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith: On the Current Norms Governing Exorcisms." Euteneur conclusions agree with Fr. Amorth concerning laity & private exorcism or prayer, & the Exorcism Prayer of Pope Leo XIII. Euteneur goes further citing Fr. Francis Martin in the footnotes on page 263:

"Fr. Francis Martin clarified the cardinal's (Ratzinger's) letter in a talk at Mundelein Seminary, and latter through personal correspondence. He stated that it is clear the restrictions in point three of Cardinal Ratzinger's letter are to be applied to pubic assemblies. He also wrote, "When asked by Fr. Rufus Pereira concerning the third paragraph of [the] statement of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, September 29, 1984 [actually 1985] the then Prefect of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, Cardinal Joesph Ratzinger, stated that the restrictions apply to public assemblies. While Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) clearly restricts exorcisms and prayers for exorcisms to authorized clergy, there is nothing here to prohibits the laity from using the imperative. "Exorcism" means the Rite of Exorcism not the imperative command." (page 148)

Fr. Francis Martin is a renowned Scripture scholar and Professor Emeritus of New Testament at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, D.C. He was Senior Fellow at the Intercultural Forum for Faith and Culture at the John Paul II Cultural Center in D.C. and visiting professor at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit, Michigan. In the past, he has taught at the Gregorian University in Rome, Ecole Biblique in Jerusalem, Catholic University in Washington, D.C. and held the Cardinal Adam Maida Chair in Biblical Studies at Sacred Heart Major Seminary. He has also taught at Franciscan University of Steubenville and the John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family in Washington, D.C. He was ordained at St. Joseph’s Abbey in 1956, received his Licentiate in Sacred Theology (S.T.L.) from St. Thomas Pontifical University in Rome in 1959 and his Doctorate in Sacred Scripture (S.S.D.) from the Pontifical Biblical Institute in 1978, also in Rome. Fr. Martin is a priest of the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C. where he is also chaplain of the Mother of God Community in Gaithersburg, MD.

Said of Francis Martin:

"I have had the privilege of knowing and working with Fr. Francis Martin for many years. His profound knowledge of and love for the living Word of God continues to inspire me. He continues to help people in all walks of life to open their hearts to Christ, the living Word Incarnate. I warmly recommend Fr. Francis Martin Ministries to one and all."

Most Rev. William E. Lori
Archbishop of Baltimore

"What a blessing to be a priest in a time such as this! Our world is in such desperate need of the love and truth you can offer. Please know that I pray for you and your priesthood. I am joined in this prayer by my long-time friend Fr. Francis Martin. He has been the main teacher at our priest conferences over the years since their beginning in 1975. I encourage you to... take advantage of his offering. I know you will be blessed by this spiritual resource."

Fr. Mike Scanlan, CFR

Monsignor Andrea Gemma, former bishop of Isernia-Venafro [served 1990-2006] & once the Vatican's Head Exorcist before being consecrated a Biship, is among the greatest exorcists living. Mons. Gemma was the Head Vatican exorcist prior to becoming a Bishop. He is famous for titles such as "The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail" & " I, Bishop Exorcist,"

The link below connects one to a Bishop Gemma interview by Gianluca Barile

http://www.meryem-ana.it/index.php/Gocce...monio.html

Interview With Mons. Andrea Gemma

"My experience daily - says, in fact, the prelate - tells me that the exorcism done by telephone is immediately effective, as evidenced by the reactions on the other side of the wire. Moreover, for those who are spirit local distance does not matter; has the power of prayer and exorcism, as I always say, is nothing more than a prayer that is made ​​in the name of Christ and the Church. The devil then you can fight from a distance. Consider that the great Pius XII exorcised Hitler directly from the Vatican, although, unfortunately, in that case, without effect. " Many lay people, including most 'charismatic', is slowing in advancing the ministry of deliverance with the fear of breaking a rule of the Church and of falling into sin. Another legend holds that Monsignor Gemma to debunk. "If everything is done in private, the prayers of deliverance and exorcism also imperative - that of Leo XIII in Latin can be a great example - there is no sin. It is, indeed, an act of fraternal charity, of which I can personally testify to the effectiveness. " An act of charity that does not absolutely require the approval or the mandate of the diocesan bishop. "

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.aiutonline.org/esorcismo.htm&usg=ALkJrhhBy2MuWqf6CaTUmebchDryOjR79Q

Exorcism of Leo XIII
against Satan and the Rebel Angels

Sancte Michaël Arcangele, Defende nos in proelio!
Ut not pereamus in tremendous iudicio!

From the Book of Don Gabriele Amorth
"An Exorcist tells."
Dehoniane editions, Rome.

Premise

"When the Church asks publicly and authoritatively in the name of Jesus Christ that a person or object be protected against the power of the Evil One and withdrawn from his dominion, it is called exorcism. Jesus practiced (Mk 1.25 s) is from him that the Church derives the power and the duty to exorcise. In a simple form, exorcism is performed at the celebration of Baptism. The solemn exorcism, called "a major exorcism," can be performed only by a priest and with the permission of the bishop. In what must proceed with prudence, strictly observing the rules established by the Church. Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Very different is the case of illness, especially mental, whose care falls within the scope of medical science. It is important, therefore, ensure, before an exorcism is performed, which is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness "(Catechism of the Catholic Church, n. 1673).

Even this exorcism contained in the Ritual Romanum, is reserved to the bishop and priests expressly authorized by him and can be recited by the faithful only privately. The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has drawn the observance of this rule in the letter Inde ab annis aliquot of 29 September 1985. In it is also stated that this recall "in no way away from the faithful pray as Jesus taught us, are delivered from evil (cf. Mt 6:13)."

Pray the exorcism (in this or in any other form) is especially recommended when you feel the action of the devil becomes more intense in us (very strong temptations), families (discord) in public life (when they are trampled rights of God and man), in the relations between states (war) in the persecutions against the Church. You should also recite for diseases.

I  posted this for those of us particularly  the ones who can remember  priests reciting this prayer after Mass and who were confused as to why we can't recite this prayer any longer.  Also,  it would be something that a prayer written and promulgated by a Pope for these very times & we could no longer follow his instructions.

May Lord Jesus Christ & His Mother Keep  All of  Us Safe in their Sacred & Immaculate Hearts,
Pax Christi,

Militaris Christi

(07-14-2013, 12:02 AM)DustinsDad Wrote: [ -> ]Pope Leo XIII's prayer "Prayer Against Satan and His Apostate Host'' is in the Angeles Press '62 missal towards the back.

Thanks!  I was not aware of this.

Many Blessings,
Pax Christi
MC
Whatever happened to Father Thomas Euteneur? I remember when this book was pulled and never knew why? He has disappeared. The book has a foreward by Father John Corapi who also disappeared. The used copies online are expensive.
Fr. Euteneur had a scandal and resigned from HLI. I am not sure if he remains in the priesthood at this time. I know he does a lot of work in Latin America, so it may be that he is simply going about his work there. He did issue a statement of apology on HLI's webpage some time ago.

However, I do not believe that his works or observations are less valid simply because he faltered as every human being does. It's a shame that his books were pulled because the information in them is profound and ultimately encouraging. He is a good man and a good priest.
(07-15-2013, 06:36 PM)PurposefulMother Wrote: [ -> ]Fr. Euteneur had a scandal and resigned from HLI. I am not sure if he remains in the priesthood at this time. I know he does a lot of work in Latin America, so it may be that he is simply going about his work there. He did issue a statement of apology on HLI's webpage some time ago.

However, I do not believe that his works or observations are less valid simply because he faltered as every human being does. It's a shame that his books were pulled because the information in them is profound and ultimately encouraging. He is a good man and a good priest.

I am sorry to say that  Thomas Euteneur  is no longer a priest in the sense that he has lost all public faculties to perform official Church rites. As an ordained priest he remains so for eternity.  He is laicized which means his status as a cleric has formally been reduced to laity.

Yes I agree,  his book Exorcism & the Church Militant is a scholarly study work and he cites all  sources he references.  We need to pray for all involved:  victims,  Euteneur, and ourselves.

May We All Be Kept  Safe in the Hearts of Jesus & Mary,
MC

Father Anthony Cekada has what appears to me to be a well researched history of the prayer of Leo XIII.

http://www.fathercekada.com/2007/11/12/t...fied-text/

C.
(07-16-2013, 05:59 AM)Cetil Wrote: [ -> ]Father Anthony Cekada has what appears to me to be a well researched history of the prayer of Leo XIII.

C.

Interesting and that makes the most sense.  I don't think we realize how big a deal it was at the time for the new Liberal Italian state to take over Rome and how much apocalyptic symbolism was seen in that event.  From my reasearch, it seems the embellished version of the LaSallette messages deal with that time period as well.  They came about and were then suppressed for similar historical reasons (in that case, however, the embellishments were added by private initiative, not  as a public act by the Church like the legitimate expansion of the St. Michael prayer).
Unless they have changed, even EWTN said the prayer after their daily Mass. I know the streaming daily Low Mass from Sarasota prays it and the other prayers like the Mass before 55, every day.

tim
(07-16-2013, 05:59 AM)Cetil Wrote: [ -> ]Father Anthony Cekada has what appears to me to be a well researched history of the prayer of Leo XIII.

Yes, that is a good snopes debunking. I wonder if there is any real truth to Leo XIII having  vision, and the 100 years deal. Is there any solid source for this story?
Pages: 1 2 3