FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: First TLM at San Secondo D'Asti
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've seen pictures of this gorgeous, mission style church and really liked their website, as it has lots of catechism and other resources available. I visited the property before and was very excited about attending a mass here. However...the experience was sort of bad. The good: the pews were packed; so packed that they had a canopy outside infront of the church to accommodate those without access to indoor seating. The parishionerswere of all ages and all backgrounds. The priest (he was a sub) gave an okay homily regarding Jesus being sad in terms of how we are all living and aborting children but he didn't actually mention abortion.

The bad: the choir was TERRIBLE. So many people were off key that it threw everyone else out of tune. They did not perform any Gregorian chant. It was more like a conservative NO choir but in Latin.

One thing I found a bit odd was that the priest did not enter with the procession and did not sprinkle holy water over us. It was a low mass but every TLM I've been too had those key elements.

Has anyone been here before?
Just realized that I didn't post the city or website. The church is located in Ontario, CA.

http://www.sansecondodasti.org/
Can you sing Missa de Angelis ? If you can it sounds like they need your help. One step at a time.

tim
One thing I found a bit odd was that the priest did not enter with the procession and did not sprinkle holy water over us. It was a low mass but every TLM I've been too had those key elements.

Has anyone been here before?

My wife and I will be there on Sept 8. Looking forward to it. I don't think I've ever been to a TLM low mass that processed and sprinkled holy water on the laity. I thought those were done at High Masses. I've been going to TLM low masses at FSSP and ICKSP for nearly 5 years now and I don't recall ever seeing processing and holy water other than at the High masses. By the way Tim I live about three hours south of you in Springfield Diocese and I would be absolutely no help to the choir. MH thanks for the tip about overcrowded as I'll try to arrive early enough to get a seat inside. I'm hoping they don't do the sign of peace...just kidding.
Tim,
I was actually considering studying like a mad man so I could step in to make it more traditional but ah...how does a person even attempt to do so? I'm pretty positive that even if a professional singer volunteered to step in to perform chant that others would be quite offended. I'm not the best singer, believe me, so I just don't understand why people who clearly cannot sing still plant their way into a choir.

Here's the church

And here's the choir
(07-21-2013, 06:28 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I found a bit odd was that the priest did not enter with the procession and did not sprinkle holy water over us. It was a low mass but every TLM I've been too had those key elements.
If he did not enter with the acolytes, what did he do instead?
Morgan if they got rid of the guy that bleats in once in a while that doesn't seem to know what they're singing it'd be a good place to start. The women can sing on key.
It seems like an opportunity anyway. They've got a TLM, and nice Mission Church and all the things you said so there's a foundation.

tim
Steven,
Nothing. He was just chilling up at the altar and then mass just happened to start.
Tim,
Besides the one ear sore, if you listen carefully you can hear other men or at least one male singing out of key. Also, today the singers were much worse than in the video. I do agree that at least it is a TLM but would it not be better without ANY choir at all?
(07-21-2013, 06:28 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I found a bit odd was that the priest did not enter with the procession and did not sprinkle holy water over us. It was a low mass but every TLM I've been too had those key elements.

Well if it's Low MassĀ  there doesn't have to be a procession as I understand it. As for the Asperges, I was told that is only done at the principal Mass of the day, so if this was a Mass in the afternoon or something then that's probably why it didn't happen.
Pages: 1 2 3