FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Communion on the tongue now mandatory at St Philomena's, Mysore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In an attempt to prevent "profanation" of the Holy Communion, St Joseph's Cathedral, popularly known as St Philomena's Church, has asked Catholic communicants to receive it on the tongue and not in their hands.

This comes in the wake of growing incidents of the Holy Communion being received by non-baptised visitors coming to the church, a popular tourist destination in city. The Catholic church allows only baptised persons to receive the Holy Communion.

The church's Parish Council, which met a fortnight ago, took a decision in this regard after a prolonged discussion that was endorsed by the Mysore Diocese. Since then, announcements are being made during every prayer service asking the pupils to receive the communion on their tongues.

Fr K A William, parish priest of the church, said: "It will be easy for priests to identify non-Catholics while giving the communion on the tongue from the way they open their mouths and stretch the tongues. But it is not the same while giving it in the hand. It is an old tradition and ideal to receive it on the tongue, especially in a church such as St Philomena's where there is a significant inflow of non-Catholics and a possibility of them receiving it unintentionally."

Fr William said a lot of non-baptised persons line up for the communion. "It is difficult to identify them if they use hands to receive the communion," he said.

At present, the church is not denying communion to Catholics who want to take it by hand. "It will take time for people to know about the new decision. Announcements will be made continuously for a few more weeks to make them fall in line," he said.

The rule will be applicable to only St Philomena's Church while others will continue with the traditions of giving communion on the tongue and by hand. [newindianexpress.com]
"It will be easy for priests to identify non-Catholics while giving the communion on the tongue from the way they open their mouths and stretch the tongues."

Seriously?  A Catholic can be identified by the way they open their mouth?  This is silly.  True Scotsman Fallacy anyone?
(07-24-2013, 07:17 AM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]"It will be easy for priests to identify non-Catholics while giving the communion on the tongue from the way they open their mouths and stretch the tongues."

Seriously?  A Catholic can be identified by the way they open their mouth?  This is silly.  True Scotsman Fallacy anyone?

They certainly have put it in a silly way. In the city of Mysore, India, St Joseph's Cathedral (formerly known as St Philomena's Church - and still popularly known as such) has a shrine of St Philomena (containing a first-class relic of the saint) which is visited by many Hindus and Muslims as it is part of that city's tourist circuit. The priest should announce at Mass that only Catholics should come forward to receive Communion.
It would make sense announcing before Mass that only Catholics in a state of Grace can receive, but perhaps in India the culture has not been americanized so that Hindus and Mohammedans are identifiable by something as simple as extending their tongues.

tim
In the USA there are too many Protestants taking holy communion in Catholic churches. I wonder if the changing the GIRM to make kneeling and COTT the norm again (as it was prior to 1962) would be sufficient to discourage the Protestants. In my conversations with them, they express dislike for kneeling and taking communion on the tongue. It looks like "cookie worship" to them, so they may be less tempted to take our communion. The norm for them is standing in line or passing the bread basket around while sitting. The same might be true for Mohammedens. If they see Catholics kneeling at the rail, I'd think they'd be turned off by that. No prior announcement before mass would be necessary. I doubt these people abide by announcements anyway.
(07-24-2013, 07:17 AM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]"It will be easy for priests to identify non-Catholics while giving the communion on the tongue from the way they open their mouths and stretch the tongues."

While I am grateful that they have decided to start doing only COTT, that part worried me also, I know when I first started to recieve on the tongue I was told to put out my tongue a little more, because apperantly I wasn't putting out enough, so I could imagine some incidents were a Catholic is denied communion because they were mistaken for a Muslim or Hindu based on how they opened their mouth.
Whatever their strange reasoning for this change is,,,, it is better than receiving in the hand and so it is a good thing.