FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Remnant Responds to CAF Blog Article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm disappointed that the August 12th reshow will once again have Tim Staples in the guest seat. He already had his shot, now give someone else a chance if they're going to go through with it again. I wasn't thrilled the first time because Staples is so longwinded.
From the article ...
"Why did the hosts of this show, Tim Staples and Patrick Coffin, dwell on a few Catholic adherents of the Society of Saint Pius X who (allegedly) lost their faith, while ignoring the “silent apostasy” that plagues the entire Western world—and this a half-century after the Council that was supposed to have made the faith more accessible to the masses? Why have Staples and Coffin planned another two hours of traditionalist bashing on August 12 ?"

The answer is obvious imo. This thread.......

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...454.0.html

CA mods, forum members, and other CA staff are watching it for sure. They don't like it. It's a threat and surely has the potential to cost them money.

Make no mistake, the CA staff appears to hate Traditional Catholicism.
" Evidently, Coffin sees nothing amiss with mass gatherings of deluded people who think they can turn the Holy Spirit on like a water faucet, babble nonsense they insist is the readily available “gift of tongues,” worship to the accompaniment of rock music, and treat the Holy Eucharist like portions of a personal pan pizza distributed by the unconsecrated hands of lay people."

Sad but true.....
Because I'd like to set them straight I'd love a priest from the FSSP or ICK or Transalpines from Stronsay to be there on the program. He can't talk horsefeathers then, they are all in full communion and he'd better understand that.  I'd especially like to see the Brother from Stronsay, and I can't remember his name, that is an expert on Fatima and the Russian Orthodox, because he seemed like a no nonsense take no prisoners kinda brother. It's not just to make us out as marginally adjusted loonies.

tim
(07-27-2013, 11:27 AM)Whitey Wrote: [ -> ]From the article ...
"Why did the hosts of this show, Tim Staples and Patrick Coffin, dwell on a few Catholic adherents of the Society of Saint Pius X who (allegedly) lost their faith, while ignoring the “silent apostasy” that plagues the entire Western world—and this a half-century after the Council that was supposed to have made the faith more accessible to the masses? Why have Staples and Coffin planned another two hours of traditionalist bashing on August 12 ?"

The answer is obvious imo. This thread.......

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...454.0.html

CA mods, forum members, and other CA staff are watching it for sure. They don't like it. It's a threat and surely has the potential to cost them money.

Whitey, are you saying that the planned August 12 program is retaliation for the above thread?

As to the money part, yes.  CAF is all about self-promotion and enlarging the CAF population, so that they can sustain themselves by selling products.  However, why would anyone pay good money to be "instructed" by self-appointed "apologists" who possibly know even less about Catholicism than the purchasers do?  Answer to rhetorical question:  This is called sharp marketing.  CAF is possibly aware of the massive level of ignorance out there among baptized Catholics, and is exploiting it by claiming a market on  basic Catholic information available in the public domain, which they are selling as DVD's, etc.

Also, please raise your hand if you are regularly surrounded by atheists hounding you, and if you would therefore "need" a CD or a DVD about "How To Talk to Atheists."
(07-27-2013, 11:57 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Because I'd like to set them straight I'd love a priest from the FSSP or ICK or Transalpines from Stronsay to be there on the program. He can't talk horsefeathers then, they are all in full communion and he'd better understand that.  I'd especially like to see the Brother from Stronsay, and I can't remember his name, that is an expert on Fatima and the Russian Orthodox, because he seemed like a no nonsense take no prisoners kinda brother. It's not just to make us out as marginally adjusted loonies.

tim

Brother Nicodemus Mary!

I think the Transalpine Redemptorists would be the best to have on the show or any show for that matter. The Superiors and the Fathers/Brothers there are honestly the holiest bunch of men I have come across - I guess that's natural since they are Religious, and carrying on the Redemptorist charism while the modern Redemptorists abandon it. They are knowledgeable, experienced in these matters (having been SSPX affiliated and also come into full communion) and they are also extremely supernaturally focused. I could listen to Father Michael or Father Anthony speak for hours.
(07-27-2013, 10:54 AM)Miriam_M Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.remnantnewspaper.com/Archives...d-trad.htm

Sums up my view as well.

One area  of concern that I did have was the utilization of arguments based upon logical fallacy.  In particular, the mention that Cardinal Sodano's acts regarding Fr. Marcel decrease his credibility regarding the message of Fatima.  This is untrue, and arguments such as these are counterproductive, and frankly, unconvincing.  I am not condoning the Cardinal's actions, or agreeing with his statements on the Consecration of Russia, but his actions in one area have nothing at all to do with the veracity of his statements in the other.  If the author wishes to engage on the topic, the argument itself should be attacked and defeated, not the person making it. 

Another area which detracts from the article and the author's points was towards the end, he stared getting off track by talking about things like Coffin's book, etc. and really making it more of a personal attack on him.  Discussions of NFP, etc. may be worth having, but not in the context of this article.  Doing so merely took the reader's mind away from the salient points made earlier in the article.  The article should have been about 65% as long as it was, and should have focused more carefully on the arguments being made, and stuck to a careful refutation of them.  Making it personal, or delving off into areas which may be related in the abstract, but not specifically germane to this topic, only served as a distraction from the author's intent. 

Other than that, I agree that there were some very good things in the article. We need more thoughtful engagement like this, on a point by point basis, with solid theological arguments and Sacred Tradition in support, in order to have any hope of changing hearts and minds.  In particular, we need this if we wish to actually avoid actually being that which we are often purported to be ("mad trads" and the like).  In short, if and when we engage, it should be in a prayerful and thoughtful manner that raises the level of discourse, not drops it.

Thanks for sharing. 
You're welcome, S.A.
Saint Anselmo, the Maciel affair does speak to the integrity and character of Cardinal Sodano, putting truth and justice secondary to Vatican politics, at the expense of the most innocent! What can happen once can happen again; that is the correlation that allows actions in one area to be indicative of actions in the other!  It is said that Cardinal Sodano "knows where the bodies are buried", in the ugliness that is the Vatican underworld, which may explain why the politician that he is was the one to speak on his 'interpretation' at the 3rd secret unveiling press conference, because the politician would say what the theologian Ratzinger would not. The record of Cardinal Sodano is forever tied to the history of Fatima and the non consecration. It was Sodano who was the leading voice against JPll mentioning Russia in the 1984 consecration, that alone speaks to where he holds the church with regards to secular world politics. What you see as untrue, counterproductivr and unconvincing is subjective.
Pages: 1 2