FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Patriarchate of Constantinople wages war against rebel monks on Mount Athos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seems like the Ecumenical Patriarch has problems with some of his traditionalists as well. Ironic the timing, with the news of the FFI as well. At least this is more political vs spiritual. The Orthodox still defend their liturgies and their implementation!.

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/wor...cia-26846/
I never thought of Orthodox ecumenism with Catholicism as being regarded as modernist (that is, contrary to tradition) by the Orthodox until now.
I hope he succeeds. The monks on Mt. Athos have been some of the most virulent opponents of orthodoxy within the EO Church.
Man O Man, I don't care which way we turn, nothing is right. 60 minutes had a piece on Mt. Athos, and all I can say is I was impressed by their ancient holy lives.

tim
(07-30-2013, 12:42 AM)devoutchristian Wrote: [ -> ]I hope he succeeds. The monks on Mt. Athos have been some of the most virulent opponents of orthodoxy within the EO Church.

Oh?  How so?
I think we can all agree with these monks, in the ecumenism is a total mistake and waste of time.
(07-29-2013, 10:30 PM)dark lancer Wrote: [ -> ]I never thought of Orthodox ecumenism with Catholicism as being regarded as modernist (that is, contrary to tradition) by the Orthodox until now.
Ecumenism is one thing, appearing to commune with Rome is another thing entirely. The EOC never really had much of a sticking point issue with Rome in general, (nothing that couldn't be resolved) but they're not dumb either. They saw clearly, probably before most RC clergy, that this new wave of modernism was destructive to the faith. Sometimes, even I consider orthodoxy for exactly this kind of allowing the world to infest the church. Especially after studying the history of the church and what a turnaround V2 was! All of a sudden, you could wriggle your way out of anything, including a marriage that had met all qualifications for validity. You could just ignore anything you didn't like, you could eat a porterhouse on Friday and who cares? V2 allowed hedonism to reign supreme because anything that needed reiteration or clarification is only ever discussed in vague terms.
The EO sees the RC as having fallen away from their purpose and function, so a smiles-all-around meeting with Paul VI would have been taken as a sign that the EO was now in danger of modernism.
(07-30-2013, 08:57 AM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-30-2013, 12:42 AM)devoutchristian Wrote: [ -> ]I hope he succeeds. The monks on Mt. Athos have been some of the most virulent opponents of orthodoxy within the EO Church.

Oh?  How so?

They oppose efforts to reconcile the Orthodox to the Holy See more than the EO hierarchy.
(07-30-2013, 10:24 PM)devoutchristian Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-30-2013, 08:57 AM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh?  How so?

They oppose efforts to reconcile the Orthodox to the Holy See more than the EO hierarchy.

I see what you mean. I was thinking about it from their (EO) perspective wherein not "reuniting with the Holy See" is one of the tenets of their orthodoxy. And Mt. Athos is the spiritual center that, to a certain extent, keeps the rest from embarking on an ecumenistic collision course by calling even patriarchs to account.
I wonder if CNN is going to send in Anderson Cooper.  LOL
Pages: 1 2