FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Beach ball on altar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just noticed via http://www.novusordowatch.org (under novus ordo wire heading) that http://www.romereports.com has video of Francis returning to Rome from Brazil and going to St Mary Majors where he puts a beach ball and t-shirt on the altar near the tabernacle and prays.  What for, who knows.

Joe
I hate that.

I ALWAYS reprove anyone who puts something 'unholy' like a cup or something, even near our home Altar or Bible.

Wasn't it Ezechiel who said one of the reasons God's ire got up against His people was because they had failed to keep seperate the profane and the Holy?
Don't be such a prude. This is a great way to welcome the youth by making things relevant. Its summer so this was a good gesture.

Amirite?
I get the knee-jerk reaction to this, but is it possible that this was temporary and that he was praying for those who gave it to him?

I'm really trying hard not to criticize everything.
(07-30-2013, 07:56 AM)Basilios Wrote: [ -> ]Don't be such a prude. This is a great way to welcome the youth by making things relevant. Its summer so this was a good gesture.

Amirite?

Welcoming? Relevant?
These considerations have no place in the objective worship of God, because they put the priority on the people and not God.

I wanna say "Well(at least) it's not Mass/Liturgy" but that excuse seems to be wearing thin more and more. At the same time it's not unlike it doesn't have precendent, in the pre-1955 Holy Week rites the palms were placed on the altar to be blessed, the candles for Candlemas are also placed on and near the altar, the envelopes holding the intentions for Mother's Day, Father's Day, All Soul's Day, etc. are also placed on the altar. I'm guessing the Holy Father here meant to pray for those who gave him the beachball and t-shirt, and in extension all the intentions of WYD attendants, granted in a less innocuous form.

The worst part would probabaly be that the cameras were rolling and some liberal priest is probably gonna see this and think "Hey I should place a beachball on the altar for Mass!"
When i think of all the holy FSSP priests and seminarians who have come to our parish through the years it bothers me that a POPE could be soo casual where as these young men are soo vigilant making sure they do all that is holy at the altar.
Profaning the Altar in never a good thing.
For one thing this happened before his trip to Brazil. Second it was a gesture towards our Lady, those objects were given to him by kids outside the Church.

Look let's be critical on the Pope on solid things but lets not go overboard over every little thing.
(07-31-2013, 05:47 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]For one thing this happened before his trip to Brazil. Second it was a gesture towards our Lady, those objects were given to him by kids outside the Church.

Look let's be critical on the Pope on solid things but lets not go overboard over every little thing.

Yes, let us gloss over everything including Vatican II and all that flows from it. People are too mean spirited! Besides, who are we to judge!
Pages: 1 2