FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Entrance jokes, no procession: confused.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope some of you can clarify this issue for me.

I got this in an email from a friend, and I haven't been able to find an answer:

"Lately our Pastor has been replacing the entrance procession with a personal greeting, often including interaction from the congregation. I've never seen this done before--is it legit? Is there a reason for this that I don't know about? It just seems odd to see the deacon and celebrant "starting out" in the sanctuary when Mass [on a saturday evening vigil or any mass on Sunday] begins."

I've actually seen these take place myself as well... In these interactions, there are at times, jokes being made, with laughter, talking back and forth from pastor and someone in congregation, etc.

Usually, servers, the deacon, and the celebrant all entered the sanctuary not together, usually the celebrant beginning in the back of the sanctuary speaking/joking/making announcements from the back and as he makes his way up the center aisle. If he's not done with what he is saying, usually the servers and deacon get to their respective seats near the altar and sit or stand there, until he is done speaking.

Once finished, he usually goes up to the chair next to the altar, says, "let's pause for a moment before we celebrate the Eucharist together," sits down for 10 or so seconds, before standing and opening the hymnal as the cantor(s) sing the chosen processional hymn for the day. However as omitted above, there is no processional.

I think both the friend who emailed me and myself were wondering if
A) such an entrance was licit,

and

B) if a processional hymn is allowed to be sung when there is no procession into the sanctuary since the ministers and assistants are all at the altar already.

I hope all of this helps clarify things.

(08-01-2013, 10:58 AM)OzarkCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I hope some of you can clarify this issue for me.

I got this in an email from a friend, and I haven't been able to find an answer:

"Lately our Pastor has been replacing the entrance procession with a personal greeting, often including interaction from the congregation. I've never seen this done before--is it legit? Is there a reason for this that I don't know about? It just seems odd to see the deacon and celebrant "starting out" in the sanctuary when Mass [on a saturday evening vigil or any mass on Sunday] begins."

I've actually seen these take place myself as well... In these interactions, there are at times, jokes being made, with laughter, talking back and forth from pastor and someone in congregation, etc.

Usually, servers, the deacon, and the celebrant all entered the sanctuary not together, usually the celebrant beginning in the back of the sanctuary speaking/joking/making announcements from the back and as he makes his way up the center aisle. If he's not done with what he is saying, usually the servers and deacon get to their respective seats near the altar and sit or stand there, until he is done speaking.

Once finished, he usually goes up to the chair next to the altar, says, "let's pause for a moment before we celebrate the Eucharist together," sits down for 10 or so seconds, before standing and opening the hymnal as the cantor(s) sing the chosen processional hymn for the day. However as omitted above, there is no processional.

I think both the friend who emailed me and myself were wondering if
A) such an entrance was licit,

and

B) if a processional hymn is allowed to be sung when there is no procession into the sanctuary since the ministers and assistants are all at the altar already.

I hope all of this helps clarify things.

I am sure this goes against the GIRM.

The law of prayer is the law of belief  -- I've seen this sort of thing for a long time-- my best advice is to start attending your nearest TLM community.  :)

http://www.ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm

The de facto standard for a lot of novus ordo's. But yeah, it's kinda against the rules. I say kinda because I believe the GIRM advises the priest upon entering to make an 'appropriate greeting' or something like that. We all know what that means. Introibo ad altare dei is far too medieval. Not appropriate. Jokes are better.

Reminds me of my days back in SA when the Priest would come in on a Sunday and raise his fist and shout out the name of his favourite rugby team who had won a game the night before.
(08-01-2013, 11:54 AM)Basilios Wrote: [ -> ]Reminds me of my days back in SA when the Priest would come in on a Sunday and raise his fist and shout out the name of his favourite rugby team who had won a game the night before.

Now that's just wrong. Anyone with half their wits about them knows that Australian football is SA's sport par excellence.
(08-01-2013, 11:13 AM)Gidge Wrote: [ -> ]I am sure this goes against the GIRM.

The law of prayer is the law of belief  -- I've seen this sort of thing for a long time-- my best advice is to start attending your nearest TLM community.   :)

http://www.ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm

I already attend a TLM when I can... the nearest is 100 miles away though> I'm not looking to pick fights with my local pastor though... he's already allowing us to bring in a priest from the institute and some others in our diocese for a solemn high nuptial mass for my wedding. I just was hoping for any GIRM or other citations that I could point my friend to on whether this is technically allowed, if it is or is not the ideal atmosphere of the mass (citations on what that atmosphere should be), or if it is forbidden in part or in whole.
If there is no hymn then you are supposed to recite the entrance antiphon.