FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Eastern Rite Churches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

What's the diff between the Latin & Eastern Rite Churches?  Are the Easterns more orthodox( no pun intended)?  What's the diff between Eastern Catholics & Eastern Orthodox?
Just in case we lose the EF. ??? :shrug:
  Any advice, links, etc., would help.
(08-01-2013, 11:31 AM)AstroKitty Wrote: [ -> ]       What's the diff between the Latin & Eastern Rite Churches?  Are the Easterns more orthodox( no pun intended)?  What's the diff between Eastern Catholics & Eastern Orthodox?
Just in case we lose the EF. ??? :shrug:
  Any advice, links, etc., would help.

The Eastern Catholics churches use the various Eastern rites (Byzantine, Syriac, Coptic, etc.) as opposed to the Roman rite used in the Latin church.  Some Eastern parishes are more orthodox, others are heavily watered down, either by latinization or novusordoization.  Byzantine rite Catholics use the same liturgy, practice the same spirituality and adorn their churches similarly to the Eastern Orthodox.  The main disagreement between EC and EO is what the proper role of the Pope is.  ECs are in communion with the Pope, EOs are not.
that is fascinating!  :puss:
I have attended Byzantine, Maronite, and Melkite Catholic Churches...try them all-you'll be glad! :salute:
Okay, well first two things to know the difference between the terms Rite and Church, both have different levels of meanng that change depending on the context.

Church: At its broadest level means the total collection of God's People, the entire Catholic Church. Beneath that we can divide the overall Church into local Churches, for example a Diocese is a local Church. On an international level there are what we call Sui Iuris Churches, this means that teach Churches each have an independent Hierarchy, and are(In theory) governed by their own Canon Law. There are 23 sui iuris Churches

Rite: Has several meanings too, but for our purposes it means, the collective patrimony of Liturgical traditions. The way a people worships, using two thurifers instead of one, or using leavened bread instead of unleavened, etc. A rite can span across different Churches, for example the 14 Catholic(sui iuris) Churches follow the Byzantine Rite.

I am going to list the different Churches, and grouped them under the Rite they belong to.

The Latin Church - This is us, the Latin Church is unique in that due to its massive size, several different Rites may be found within it.

Roman Rite

(In two forms, Ordinary and Extraordinary)
Ambrosian Rite
Mozarbaic Rite
Bragan Rite
Rites of Religious Orders

Byzantine Rite - I will also list which Church they came back from, all the Byzantines came from Eastern Orthodox churches, but I won't specify which ones, because it's really confusing, some are obvious, like the Russian Catholic church came from the Russian Orthodox Church.
Albanian Byzantine Catholic Church
Belarusian Greek Catholic Curch
Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church
Byzantine Church of Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro
Greek Byzantine Catholic Church
Hungarian Greek Catholic Church
Italo-Albanian Catholic ChurchAlso claims to have never broken communion with Rome
Macedonian Greek Catholic Church
Melkite Greek Catholic Church Interesting that, unlike the others, the current Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch, broke off FROM the Melkite Church, when the Melkite hierarchy decided to reunite with Rome
Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic
Russian Byzantine Catholic Church
Ruthenian Catholic Church
Slovak Greek Catholic Church
Ukranian Greek Catholic Church

West Syrian(Antiochian) Rite

Maronite Catholic Church - Has always been united with Rome
Syrian Catholic Church - Syriac Orthodox Church
Syro-Malankar Catholic Church - Malankara Orthodox Church, which is an autonomous part of the Syrian Orthodox Church

East Syrian(Chaldean) Rtie

Chaldean Catholic Church - Church of the East
Syro-Malabar Church - Indian Orthodox Churc, but has abandoned the East Syrian Rite for the West Syrian

Alexandrian Rite

Coptic Catholic Church - Coptic Orthodox Church
Ethiopian Catholic Church - Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church

Armenian Rite

Armenian Catholic Church - Armenian Apostolic Church
Georgian Catholic Church -Georgian Orthodox Church, but has dropped the  Armenian Rite in favor of the Byzantine

I wouldn't say that the Easterns are more orthodox(little o) but they are more reverent in their worship(even the ones who have been heavily NO latinized)

Sorry to nitpick, but:

You left out the Melkite Catholic church altogether (wtf?) Which is the only de jure patriarchal church of the Byzantine Rite.

There is some disagreement over whether the Greek Catholics in Macedonia constitute a separate church.  Most lists include it in the Byzantine Catholic Church of the former Yugoslavia.

The counterpart to the Syro-Malankara Catholic church is the Malankara Orthodox church.  It is autonomous within the Syriac Orthodox church.

The Indian Orthodox church is actually the counterpart of the Syro-Malabar Catholic church.  The Syro-Malabars retain the use of the East Syriac rite, though heavily latinized.  The Indian Orthodox have abandoned the East Syriac rite for the West Syriac.  They are ritually identical to the Malankara Orthodox, but the Indian Orthodox are autocepahlous.

You also missed the Georgian Catholic church, which has no hierarchy like the Russians and Belarussians.  Unlike the Georgian Orthodox, who have adopted the use of Byzantine rite, Georgian Catholics have retained use of the Armenian rite.
(08-01-2013, 03:19 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to nitpick, but:

You left out the Melkite Catholic church altogether (wtf?) Which is the only de jure patriarchal church of the Byzantine Rite.

Sorry honest mistake! LOL.
Quote:There is some disagreement over whether the Greek Catholics in Macedonia constitute a separate church.  Most lists include it in the Byzantine Catholic Church of the former Yugoslavia.

I realize there are some disputes, I was just going by the "official" lists that I could find on the net.

Quote:The counterpart to the Syro-Malankara Catholic church is the Malankara Orthodox church.  It is autonomous within the Syriac Orthodox church.

The Indian Orthodox church is actually the counterpart of the Syro-Malabar Catholic church.  The Syro-Malabars retain the use of the East Syriac rite, though heavily latinized.  The Indian Orthodox have abandoned the East Syriac rite for the West Syriac.  They are ritually identical to the Malankara Orthodox, but the Indian Orthodox are autocepahlous.

The Indian churches are a bit a of a mess, so sometimes I get them confused.
Quote:You also missed the Georgian Catholic church, which has no hierarchy like the Russians and Belarussians.  Unlike the Georgian Orthodox, who have adopted the use of Byzantine rite, Georgian Catholics have retained use of the Armenian rite.

Ah, thank you another I overlooked!

I have modified my previous post to reflect the corrections, thank you!
(08-01-2013, 01:19 PM)Juanthetuba Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, well first two things to know the difference between the terms Rite and Church, both have different levels of meanng that change depending on the context.

Church: At its broadest level means the total collection of God's People, the entire Catholic Church. Beneath that we can divide the overall Church into local Churches, for example a Diocese is a local Church. On an international level there are what we call Sui Iuris Churches, this means that teach Churches each have an independent Hierarchy, and are(In theory) governed by their own Canon Law. There are 23 sui iuris Churches

Rite: Has several meanings too, but for our purposes it means, the collective patrimony of Liturgical traditions. The way a people worships, using two thurifers instead of one, or using leavened bread instead of unleavened, etc. A rite can span across different Churches, for example the 14 Catholic(sui iuris) Churches follow the Byzantine Rite.

I am going to list the different Churches, and grouped them under the Rite they belong to.

The Latin Church - This is us, the Latin Church is unique in that due to its massive size, several different Rites may be found within it.

Roman Rite

(In two forms, Ordinary and Extraordinary)
Ambrosian Rite
Mozarbaic Rite
Bragan Rite
Rites of Religious Orders

Byzantine Rite - I will also list which Church they came back from, all the Byzantines came from Eastern Orthodox churches, but I won't specify which ones, because it's really confusing, some are obvious, like the Russian Catholic church came from the Russian Orthodox Church.
Albanian Byzantine Catholic Church
Belarusian Greek Catholic Curch
Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church
Byzantine Church of Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro
Greek Byzantine Catholic Church
Hungarian Greek Catholic Church
Italo-Albanian Catholic ChurchAlso claims to have never broken communion with Rome
Macedonian Greek Catholic Church
Melkite Greek Catholic Church Interesting that, unlike the others, the current Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch, broke off FROM the Melkite Church, when the Melkite hierarchy decided to reunite with Rome
Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic
Russian Byzantine Catholic Church
Ruthenian Catholic Church
Slovak Greek Catholic Church
Ukranian Greek Catholic Church

West Syrian(Antiochian) Rite

Maronite Catholic Church - Has always been united with Rome
Syrian Catholic Church - Syriac Orthodox Church
Syro-Malankar Catholic Church - Malankara Orthodox Church, which is an autonomous part of the Syrian Orthodox Church

East Syrian(Chaldean) Rtie

Chaldean Catholic Church - Church of the East
Syro-Malabar Church - Indian Orthodox Churc, but has abandoned the East Syrian Rite for the West Syrian

Alexandrian Rite

Coptic Catholic Church - Coptic Orthodox Church
Ethiopian Catholic Church - Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church

Armenian Rite

Armenian Catholic Church - Armenian Apostolic Church
Georgian Catholic Church -Georgian Orthodox Church, but has dropped the  Armenian Rite in favor of the Byzantine

I wouldn't say that the Easterns are more orthodox(little o) but they are more reverent in their worship(even the ones who have been heavily NO latinized)
WOW :O You did your homework!  Thanks! :tiphat:
(08-01-2013, 09:05 PM)AstroKitty Wrote: [ -> ]WOW :O You did your homework!  Thanks! :tiphat:

Darn right he did, eh? He even included the Byzantine Church of Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro of which I am juridically a member. I refer to it as the Serbian Rite, but my Serbian Orthodox (for the most part, former) friends refer to it derogatorily as the 'Croatian Church'.
I have thought of driving 45 minutes to visit a Byzantine church.  Do women cover their heads?  Is it beautiful?  Is it more reverent than the OF of the Mass?  I know it is called the Divine Liturgy, but that is all I know.  I have looked at a forum about it  but feel very timid about actually checking it out for real.
Pages: 1 2 3