FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Best Epistle Commentaries?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are plenty of saints that have commented on the Gospels, but does anyone have a favorite commentator(s) on the epistles? I know St. John Chrysostom has some good Pauline ones, as does St. Thomas. Just curious as to opinions.
Yes, for the Pauline epistles, I personally always turn first to Chrysostom. Wonderful treasures on every page there.

For the others, I go first to Bede's Commentary on the Seven Catholic Epistles (available in English from Cistercian Publishing; ISBN 9780879079826). Very different stylistically from Chrysostom, of course, but the two have three things in common: (1) their orthodoxy is beyond question; (2) they both treat the material not as an academic exercise, but as a real matter of hands-on day-to-day living; (3) each of them shows its author at his very best.

Later commentaries? Apart from St. Thomas, I like to consult Cornelius a Lapide. (Am I right in thinking that only the epistles as far as Galatians were ever translated into English? He did them all in Latin, of course.)

And I often look at Calmet (never Englished, but he wrote childishly simple French and is also available in Latin). He doesn't offer anything very profound or spectacular, but he's always sound & sensible & never ventures into any territory that he isn't equipped to handle.
Hey Euthymius,

Thanks for your post.  Do you have any recommendations of Chrysostom's works in print that might be a good starter?
Please forgive the complexity of the following answer... there are a number of different options!

To date, I believe there’s only one English translation of St. John Chrysostom’s homilies on the Pauline epistles. This was an Anglican translation done at Oxford in the 1840s and substantially improved under the general editorship of Philip Schaff half a century later, as part of the 14-volume set Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Series 1. Vols. 1-8 of that series were selected works of St. Augustine; vol. 9 contained Chrysostom’s On the Priesthood and other assorted writings; vols. 10-14 contained his complete NT homilies (as listed below). NOTE that much of the material in vols. 1-9 is available elsewhere in more recent translations (although the NPNF translations are still very good).

There seem to be four reprints of this edition in (or just out of) print:

1) A good-quality well-bound hardback 14-volume set of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Series 1, has been published by Hendrikson. It seems to be available only as a set (ISBN 9781565630949).

2) Good-quality well-bound hardbacks were published in the 1980s-1990s by Eerdmans. Unlike the Hendrickson series, these were available individually. They’re now out of print, but “new” or “as new” copies can still be bought from some secondhand booksellers, e.g. here.

3) All volumes have been issued individually by a small specialty publisher, Cosimo Classics. They’re available both in paperback and in hardback. I don’t know Cosimo Classics and have no information about the quality of their reprints, although their website looks presentable.

4) All volumes have also been published by a large-scale cheap on-demand publisher, Kessinger, but I wouldn’t recommend their products, as their quality control is zero. You might easily find that the volumes have missing pages, or that all pages have been reproduced in very tiny print with huge vacant white margins all around them.

All volumes can also be viewed or downloaded free from various websites, e.g. at the following links. (Just click on each title to view the link. In each case, I also list the Eerdmans and Cosimo ISBNs.)

Volume 10: Homilies on the Gospel of St. Matthew
Eerdmans: 0802881084
Cosimo paperback: 9781602066083
Cosimo hardback: 9781602066090

Volume 11: Homilies of the Acts of the Apostles and the Epistle to the Romans
Eerdmans: 0802881092
Cosimo paperback: 9781602066106
Cosimo hardback: 9781602066113

Volume 12: Homilies on 1st and 2nd Corinthians
Eerdmans: 0802881106
Cosimo paperback: 9781602066120
Cosimo hardback: 9781602066137

Volume 13: Homilies on Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Thessalonians, Timothy, Titus, and Philemon
Eerdmans: 0802881114
Cosimo paperback: 9781602066144
Cosimo hardback: 9781602066151

Volume 14: Homilies on the Gospel of St. John and Hebrews
Eerdmans: 0802881122
Cosimo paperback: 9781602066168
Cosimo hardback: 9781602066175

In GREEK the best edition of these homilies to date was edited by Frederick Field in the mid-19th century and can be downloaded from Google Books. A new bilingual Greek-French edition is planned in the Sources Chrétiennes series, and this might eventually lead to a new English translation... but it might be many years before that happens.

Afterthought: If someone found 5 vols. of Chrysostom too much, the answer might possibly be Theodoret’s Commentary on the Letters of St. Paul, which has also always been greatly respected. It’s available English in 2 vols. (ISBN 9781885652522 and 9781885652539).

It follows closely and deliberately in the steps of Chrysostom, but is much more succinct. Of course, there’s a trade-off in that. I love Theodoret’s simplicity & humility, but he does tend to be a kind of Microsoft Help commentator, i.e. he often tells you neither more nor less than you’ve already figured out for yourself from reading the passage.

Good samples are visible of Vol. 1 here and of Vol. 2 here.