FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Out of body experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hello Fisheaters!

A very random question, I just wanted to see if anyone out there has had such an experience! Have any of you ever had an out-of-body experience (whether willingly or unwillingly) and what do you make of such experiences?

Thanks!
mortify your curiosity.  serious about that.

responsible catholics who have had such preternatural experiences will not discuss them here.

there are many realities that are not conducive to our salvation.  curiosity about them can lead one into danger.
(08-06-2013, 05:30 PM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]mortify your curiosity.  serious about that.

responsible catholics who have had such preternatural experiences will not discuss them here.

there are many realities that are not conducive to our salvation.  curiosity about them can lead one into danger.

I appreciate you sharing your perspective. Why do you believe such things are dangerous?
(08-06-2013, 05:06 PM)mortify Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Fisheaters!

A very random question, I just wanted to see if anyone out there has had such an experience! Have any of you ever had an out-of-body experience (whether willingly or unwillingly) and what do you make of such experiences?

Thanks!

I had one the other night. I floated across the Atlantic (what a flight) and ended up sitting in a Paris cafe enjoying my view of the Eiffel Tower. Truely a divine experience! Eye-roll
(08-06-2013, 06:58 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: [ -> ]I had one the other night. I floated across the Atlantic (what a flight) and ended up sitting in a Paris cafe enjoying my view of the Eiffel Tower. Truely a divine experience! Eye-roll

Not helpful. This is a real phenomena.
Many people associate such things in a "new age", or other non-Catholic light.  In which case its pursuit can be can dangerous and is to be avoided.

Such things can also be in full compliance with Catholicism. St. Padre Pio experienced many out-of-body episodes.  He is a holy man indeed and his devotion to Christ and the Church is worthy of imitation.  

Genuine spiritual condolences, gifts, and ecstacies are a reality of Catholicism.  Their exclusive pursuit however can lead to idolatry, spiritual pride, and the neglect of ones routine spiritual disciplines; they can be distracting to the genuine pursuit of prayer, fasting, and alms giving.

Whether you are having spiritual experiences or are merely curious, it is best advised to seek the wise counsel of a traditional priest or spiritual director.
(08-06-2013, 07:16 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]St. Padre Pio experienced many out-of-body episodes.  

St. Pio of Pietrelcina bilocated.  That is an entirely different phenomenon and of a completely different order. 
"Wherein the devil habitually meddles so freely [in revelations and extraordinary phenomena] that I believe it is impossible for a man not to be deceived by them, unless he strive to reject them, such an appearance of truth and security does the devil give them."
Ascent of Mount Carmel, St. John of the Cross
(08-06-2013, 07:20 PM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]St. Pio of Pietrelcina bilocated.  That is an entirely different phenomenon and of a completely different order. 

You speak with certainty but how can you be sure?
(08-06-2013, 07:23 PM)mortify Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2013, 07:20 PM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]St. Pio of Pietrelcina bilocated.  That is an entirely different phenomenon and of a completely different order. 

You speak with certainty but how can you be sure?

I am operatting under the assumption that there are various types of Out-of-Body experiences. Astral Projection is when the soul leaves the body, bilocation is the ability to be in two places at once. Are both not two different types of out-of-body experiences.  Perhaps I am confusing terms. I apologize.  Either way, my intended point is that both experienants and curiosity seekers should seek spiritual counsel.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6