FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Christie joins the dark side
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Governor Christie has signed a law outlawing conversion therapy, which seeks to change homosexuals to straight. This is the part he said to Piers Morgan on satanic news which gets me.

A Catholic, Christie in the past has stated his opposition to gay conversion therapy and in a June 2011 interview on CNN said he did not think homosexuality is a sin.

“Well, my religion says it's a sin,” Christie said on ‘Piers Morgan Tonight.’ “But for me, I don't. I've always believed that people are born with the predisposition to be homosexual. And so, I think if someone is born that way, it's very difficult to say then that that's a sin. But I understand that my church says that. But for me personally, I don' t look upon someone who is homosexual as a sinner.”

here's the article

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/201...?hpt=hp_t2

So now the Republicans will digest this and move a little more into the suffocating embrace of the Dynastic Families. No more ways to vote now.

tim
He's obviously doing it for the wrong reasons, but I think one can easily reject conversion therapy while still holding the Church's teaching on homosexuality.  Banning it is the right thing to do if it can be shown that conversion therapy actually causes psychological harm.  From what I know of it, there are very few success cases, and the few that exist, people haven't truly changed their orientation, they've just learned to live with it and perhaps develop some weak heterosexual orientation along side it.
So? Since when do Catholics believe that people with strong homosexual tendencies can be "converted" to being attracted to the opposite sex? Those so called therapies are Protestant idiocy.
i strongly oppose so-called conversion therapy because it just doesn't work and it can be very damaging.

however, i don't think it's bad enough that it should be banned.  there are a lot of things that don't work, are damaging, and are not banned.  the solution is education, not legislation.

i'm not a libertarian, either.  i just think this law is dracionian.
...and we breeze right by his comment that The Church says it's a sin and he says it isn't.

tim
(08-19-2013, 02:16 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]...and we breeze right by his comment that The Church says it's a sin and he says it isn't.

tim

Yeah him and 50% of so called Catholics. "Thats a management problem" as Father Pacwa would say.
(08-19-2013, 03:04 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2013, 02:16 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]...and we breeze right by his comment that The Church says it's a sin and he says it isn't.

tim

Yeah him and 50% of so called Catholics. "Thats a management problem" as Father Pacwa would say.

Actually I've heard him say that but this is his problem and his pay grade's problem. Christie's  pastor didn't tell him when he gave the interview to Piers ? EWTN should be all over this problem, or are they too entangled with the lavender mafia too ?? A nice double shot of hard catechesis on world wide TV would be just what is needed.

tim
(08-19-2013, 03:04 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]

tim

I think it's for more than 50%.
he's just setting himself up for the 2016 nomination.... can't come across as "anti-gay" ya know!   Heaven forbid we actually have a Catholic politician who stands up for Catholic teachings...  very sad day for my 12 year old son who actually got to spend a day with him and thought him to be a really great guy... just another political hack saying what needs to be said to get votes
(08-19-2013, 03:38 PM)catholicschoolmom Wrote: [ -> ]he's just setting himself up for the 2016 nomination.... can't come across as "anti-gay" ya know!    Heaven forbid we actually have a Catholic politician who stands up for Catholic teachings...  very sad day for my 12 year old son who actually got to spend a day with him and thought him to be a really great guy... just another political hack saying what needs to be said to get votes

We have a winner!

But to OUTLAW conversion therapy?  On what basis?
Pages: 1 2 3 4