FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Growing Evidence for "Demonic Possession": What Should Psychiatry's Response Be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Thought y'all might be interested in this paper -- "The Growing Evidence for "Demonic Possession": What Should Psychiatry's Response be?", by Betty Stafford. The source of the article is the Journal of Religion and Health, Vol. 44, No. 1 (Spring, 2005), pp. 13-30P

It comes from as secular a point of view as can be had while maintaining the presence of what the author describes as "more or less intelligent beings, insensible to us, with a will of their own who seem to
bother or oppress us or, in rare cases, possess our bodies outright, and with whom we can relate in a variety of ways." She contrasts that with "anything like devils with tails and pitchforks
who fell from heaven with Lucifer and have been cursed by God to an eternal life in some cosmic ghetto, from where they tempt us to a similar perdition under the leadership of a head devil named Satan..."

Nonetheless, she refers frequently to Fr. Malachi Martin, and says, "In this essay I will survey and assess some of this evidence [for demonic possession], then suggest what psychiatry's reaction to it might be."

I would have thought it would be career death for a psychiatrist to get involved, publicly at least, with demonic possession. It's the polar opposite of scientific enquiry because you can't reproduce miracles at will, demonic or otherwise.

In practical terms if a patient is:

- Showing abnormal physical strength;
- Having a revulsion for sacred objects;
- Having knowledge, such as foreign languages, they couldn't possibly have learned normally;
- Exhibiting impossible abilities, like levitiation

... then a phone call to the local PP would be in order. IMHO.
I think there are some demon possessed psychiatrists and therapists out there.  Just because someone is in "the helping profession" doesn't mean they want to help. 
A small correction - the article is by Stafford Betty, not Betty Stafford (the author is male):

http://www.csub.edu/~sbetty/

ps Yes Vox it is me  Grin

Hi everybody,

Here is a well documented case of possession:

http://www.sott.net/article/151935-Among...Possession

MC
(08-21-2013, 05:06 PM)historienne Wrote: [ -> ]A small correction - the article is by Stafford Betty, not Betty Stafford (the author is male):

http://www.csub.edu/~sbetty/

ps Yes Vox it is me   Grin

Teehee.. you called me "Vox," you sweet little sweet pea baby Sticking tongue out at you  Off to read the link in the post following yours. Looks fascinating...

... It's best that this line not be crossed.  Fo' Shame
(08-22-2013, 01:43 AM)RedCaves Wrote: [ -> ]... It's best that this line not be crossed.  Fo' Shame

? What line? What are you talking about? Why the little "shame on you" icon?
Wrong emotiocon, sorry.

Didn't know it meant that.

I'll explain later.
Mmm, interesting fella.  Yeah, I'm curious now. 

Huh?
Pages: 1 2