FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Francis names new Secretary of State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As expected, the Pope has named Pietro Parolin to replace Cardinal Bertone as Secretary of State.  So far, I haven't been able to find anything wrong with him, which is a good sign.  Discuss.
Can someone explain to my ignorant self what the Secretary of State's role is for the Pope/the Church? Is it similar to the US Secretary of State? 
Sort of.  He's the head diplomat in the Vatican, he's in charge of the Curia, and is usually considered to be the #2 in the church. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_Se...y_of_State
His Humble Servant: Sister M. Pascalina Lehnert's Memoirs of Her Years of Service to Eugenio Pacelli, Pope Pius XII  is being released this month.  The last time someone was pulled out of the diplomatic corps and elevated to the Sec State position was in 1930.  Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli (54 years-old), of course, went on to become Pope Venerable Pius XII. :amen:
(09-01-2013, 10:12 AM)eschera Wrote: [ -> ]His Humble Servant: Sister M. Pascalina Lehnert's Memoirs of Her Years of Service to Eugenio Pacelli, Pope Pius XII  is being released this month.  The last time someone was pulled out of the diplomatic corps and elevated to the Sec State position was in 1930.  Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli (54 years-old), of course, went on to become Pope Venerable Pius XII. :amen:

I didn't know that Pacelli was in the Dip Corps.  I assume that was during Pius XI's pontificate, right?
Benedict XV and Pius XI.  Don't forget the Reichskonkordat signed July 20, 1933.  Cardinal Pacelli the master diplomat until Blessed JPII. 8)
(09-01-2013, 10:29 AM)eschera Wrote: [ -> ]Benedict XV and Pius XI.  Don't forget the Reichskonkordat signed July 20, 1933.  Cardinal Pacelli the master diplomat until Blessed JPII. 8)

Let us not forget how the Nazis despised Cardinal Pacelli, and that he was their worst fear as papabile in the 1939 conclave.  Here's a good article that talks about him in depth:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/answers/piusjews.htm
My favorite is when Cardinal Pacelli in 1935  wrote an open letter to the bishop of Cologne describing Hitler '... as a false prophet of Lucifer.'  :possess:

I'm sure Churchill noted that; I wonder if FDR was aware of that characterization? :confused:
Here's the discussion at CAF:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=819868

It is interesting to note that a poster mentions that the Archbishop, like Pope Francis, backs away from traditional pomp and circumstance.  Granted, this is only one person's view, but he doesn't sound pro-tradition.  Then again, to be fair, I'm not sure how that POV fits into his position as SOS.
(09-01-2013, 09:49 AM)2Vermont Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone explain to my ignorant self what the Secretary of State's role is for the Pope/the Church? Is it similar to the US Secretary of State? 

Before the Church had a Secretary of State, the administration was run by the Cardinal-nephew, the last being Pietro Ottoboni, who died in 1740. :comp:
Pages: 1 2