FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Need help with cousin's secular mindset
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my cousin and I are going to the same college, however my cousin is taking a different class entitled A history of Mexico. The point is that they are reading a book about the Aztecs and how there is much error and falsehood regarding the Aztecs. According to my cousin the book goes on to say that the Aztecs did not sacrifice as many humans as previously taught and that the Spaniards put a lot of this false information to conquer them.

The book further on states that conversion to the Catholic Church was so hard, that the Catholic Church and to mix its religion with some of the Aztecs belief in order to not drive away potential Aztec converts. Obviously this is not true at all.

Are their any good articles or books, or simply advice that people knowledgeable in this area can help me with?

I have tried to explain to my cousin about the falsehood found in this book and explained to him about the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe but would like further help
(09-03-2013, 01:24 AM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: [ -> ]So my cousin and I are going to the same college, however my cousin is taking a different class entitled A history of Mexico. The point is that they are reading a book about the Aztecs and how there is much error and falsehood regarding the Aztecs. According to my cousin the book goes on to say that the Aztecs did not sacrifice as many humans as previously taught and that the Spaniards put a lot of this false information to conquer them.

The book further on states that conversion to the Catholic Church was so hard, that the Catholic Church and to mix its religion with some of the Aztecs belief in order to not drive away potential Aztec converts. Obviously this is not true at all.

Are their any good articles or books, or simply advice that people knowledgeable in this area can help me with?

I have tried to explain to my cousin about the falsehood found in this book and explained to him about the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe but would like further help

One can only imagine the outrage if a class on the history of Germany taught that not as many Jews were killed as previously thought but that it was all made up by the Allies.
(09-03-2013, 01:24 AM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: [ -> ]So my cousin and I are going to the same college, however my cousin is taking a different class entitled A history of Mexico. The point is that they are reading a book about the Aztecs and how there is much error and falsehood regarding the Aztecs. According to my cousin the book goes on to say that the Aztecs did not sacrifice as many humans as previously taught and that the Spaniards put a lot of this false information to conquer them.

The book I will recommend is not specifically  about this, but it should be read by all catholics, non catholics too, as it explains the necessity of attaining salvation thru the church, and what awaits if you don't, St Alphonsus Liguori "Preparations for Death" if this does not wake you up you must be Rip Van Winkle. Should be required reading for all.
you should invite him over to watch the film apocalypto.  buy a 6-pack of his favorite beer and his favorite snack food.

he sounds like an 'aztec human sacrifice denialist.'
(09-03-2013, 01:23 PM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]you should invite him over to watch the film apocalypto.  buy a 6-pack of his favorite beer and his favorite snack food.

But there's no possible way to blame the Aztec sacrifices on Christians, so they're less important.
(09-03-2013, 01:23 PM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]you should invite him over to watch the film apocalypto.  buy a 6-pack of his favorite beer and his favorite snack food.

I would invite him too, but I am pretty sure he will discard the movie right away. I have an uncle who is just like my cousin and he hates the movie Apocalypto for the same reason. That reason being that they portray the Aztecs as savages, when according to my uncle they were really civilized and organized
Yes, they were organized alright.  :eyeroll:
The schools and colleges these days have lied about history so most people who dont read fall for these lies.
(09-03-2013, 07:13 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: [ -> ]they were really . . . organized

So were the Germans.
(09-03-2013, 07:25 PM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, they were organized alright.   :eyeroll:

I noticed you used a sarcasm emoticon
That takes off a lot of confusion Haha