FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Confused about Americanism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a few questions about the Americanism heresy.

I carefully read the encyclical Testum Benevolentiae Nostra that talks about Americanism and need some clarification. I am not an expert in church documents.

http://www.fisheaters.com/testembenevole...ostra.html

I read from the encyclical about the dangers about license with liberty, rejecting the supernatural virtues (faith, hope, love), dropping contemplation and mortification, undermining monastic life, and "democratizing" the church.

"These dangers, viz., the confounding of license with liberty, the passion for discussing and pouring contempt upon any possible subject, the assumed right to hold whatever opinions one pleases upon any subject and to set them forth in print to the world, have so wrapped minds in darkness that there is now a greater need of the Church's teaching office than ever before, lest people become unmindful both of conscience and of duty."

"This over-esteem of natural virtue finds a method of expression in assuming to divide all virtues in active and passive, and it is alleged that whereas passive virtues found better place in past times, our age is to be characterized by the active."

"[a] contempt of the religious life which has in some degree taken hold of minds. That such a value is generally held by the upholders of new views, we infer from certain statements concerning the vows which religious orders take. They say vows are alien to the spirit of our times, in that they limit the bounds of human liberty"

Dose this mean that I should not get involved in american politics like donating contributions, supporting bills (i.e. pro life bills), petitions, and calling or writing members in the government?

I am aware of the crisis going upon the Catholic faith and I pray fervently on issues like the pro-life movement and the persecution in Syria. Can a person who mingles with these issues to a government member be guilty of an americanist heresy?

I looked up an article outside that says that "Obamacare, the HHS mandate is an issue of religious liberty." which is very scary to read about it in light of explaining what Americanism is
http://www.faithfulanswers.com/americanist-heresy/ 

Sorry, I am struggling with the scruples.
No, of course it doesn't mean that you should not take an interest in political issues.  Some people were saying that contemplative religious orders were not suited to modern times, and that all religious should have an active apostolate in the world, or even that religious orders are not suited to the modern world at all.  That's the error that Pope Leo XIII was trying to correct.
Americanism in this case was more about advocating the introduction of certain American civil liberties and democratic governance into the Church's governance and discipline.  In other words, it was about advocating that the Church be governed like the USA was.  But this did not mean US civil liberties and government were condemnable or had to be avoided--they were good for those circumstances and ultimately beneficial to the Church there.  The problem lay in trying to therefore make the US system the ideal for absolutely all societies and all circumstances, those existing and in the abstract, including the society of the Church.

Just to add, Leo XIII himself encouraged French Catholics to get involved in French Republican politics (to the consternation of many royalists).
Alright, thank you both for the help! God bless!  :)
Here's a video "Roman Forum", it features E. Michael Jones interviewed by Michael Voris.

tim
(09-05-2013, 08:38 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a video "Roman Forum", it features E. Michael Jones interviewed by Michael Voris.

tim
Thanks for this! I love E. Michael Jones. Fr. Ripperger, FSSP, recommended his Libido Dominandi: Sexual Liberation and Political Control.
I remember I received a Culture Wars letter in the mail years ago, and I have no idea how they got my address, but I'm glad I received it!
(09-05-2013, 08:38 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a video "Roman Forum", it features E. Michael Jones interviewed by Michael Voris.

tim

Thanks for the video! It was really good and I learned a gist about it! All the more that I should make reparations for all people who are in error.