FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Good News for Detroit-Area Trads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Only a handful of Detroit-area parishes offer the TLM today. How gratifying to know a "growing interest" in it should spawn more.

~Anam-Chara

http://www.themichigancatholic.com/2013/...-workshop/

Detroit —Acknowledging the growing interest among parishioners in the Archdiocese of Detroit, Sacred Heart Major Seminary has invited the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius of Chicago to give a workshop Oct. 10-13 for priests and seminarians on how to celebrate the Extraordinary Form of the Mass — commonly known as the traditional Latin Mass or the Tridentine form.

Fr. Daniel Jones, professor of patristics at Sacred Heart, made the announcement Aug. 23. He said the Canons Regular have a special charism and expertise in celebrating and training others in the Extraordinary Form. Priests and seminarians in their third and fourth years of theology are invited to participate.

An exact cost to participate isn’t yet known, but priests and seminarians interested can contact Fr. Jones to RSVP or for more information at (313) 883-8711.
Good  News!!!!!!
After the great job they did in Cullman AL Detroit is just the place for them!
WOW, that is my parish! I had no idea they were going there! I go to St. John's sister parish in the northern suburbs, but every chance I get I like to go downtown for mass. These same priests are at both parishes. This is a great gift for Detroit Catholics!
FYI--after learning from this thread that the Canons Regular were going to Detroit, I passed a link on to Church Militant TV and asked them to include it in their news roundup. They did! Thanks guys!   Grin

OH NO! I just sent Fr. Phillips an email expressing my gratitude and support for the Latin mass workshop in Detroit. Here is his reply back this morning:

Dear Mary,
As I was informed the training session in Detroit was cancelled.
Fr. Frank Phillips, CR

Huh?
(09-08-2013, 06:44 PM)anamchara Wrote: [ -> ]Only a handful of Detroit-area parishes offer the TLM today. How gratifying to know a "growing interest" in it should spawn more.

~Anam-Chara

http://www.themichigancatholic.com/2013/...-workshop/

Detroit —Acknowledging the growing interest among parishioners in the Archdiocese of Detroit, Sacred Heart Major Seminary has invited the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius of Chicago to give a workshop Oct. 10-13 for priests and seminarians on how to celebrate the Extraordinary Form of the Mass — commonly known as the traditional Latin Mass or the Tridentine form.

Fr. Daniel Jones, professor of patristics at Sacred Heart, made the announcement Aug. 23. He said the Canons Regular have a special charism and expertise in celebrating and training others in the Extraordinary Form. Priests and seminarians in their third and fourth years of theology are invited to participate.

An exact cost to participate isn’t yet known, but priests and seminarians interested can contact Fr. Jones to RSVP or for more information at (313) 883-8711.

Sounds great! Grin I wonder how the training that the FSSP held recently in California (it was free of charge, free room & board) went? I hope
it was well attended. Thanks.
Did no one read my post? The workshop was cancelled. This is not great.
(09-12-2013, 10:03 AM)lauermar Wrote: [ -> ]Did no one read my post? The workshop was cancelled. This is not great.

I am sorry to hear that the workshop was canceled.  I hope that it was not canceled out of hostility to the traditional Mass.
(09-12-2013, 10:10 AM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2013, 10:03 AM)lauermar Wrote: [ -> ]Did no one read my post? The workshop was cancelled. This is not great.

I am sorry to hear that the workshop was canceled.  I hope that it was not canceled out of hostility to the traditional Mass.

The Archdiocese of Detroit has only had an Indult Mass for the last couple of years – a Johnny come lately. And that is only because there are several independent chapels that provide a valid Mass and valid sacraments making them look bad. To top it off, the Indult Masses are offered in the worst neighborhoods you could imagine. The churches themselves are quite nice, but you are lucky if you aren't a victim of a crime if you tarry is such places...

I think that it is reasonable to assume that the traditional Masses were allowed because the then-boss in Rome, Benedict, wanted it. I'll bet the rope will tighten since the new man in charge of the Vatican has no use for traddies... It's a game of politics for the NO Archbishop Vigneron who wants a cardinal's hat in the worst way!