FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Home Aloners" remind me of the Russian Old Believer priestless Orthodox.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Seriously, that's what they resemble. The Old Believers believed that the Russian Orthodox fell into schism and heresy with the Nikon reforms in the 1600s and withdrew. There are groups that have priests and bishops, but there are also groups that have no priests anymore. They still build churches, but they no longer have a Eucharist (So I believe they build an iconostasis but no altar behind it) and they use lay readers for readings. Has anyone else realized this? There are only a few steps to make before the Home Aloners basically are Latin Old Believers.
yes, of course there are some similarities. 

there was also the petite eglise in france, discussed on fisheaters here.  after their last bishop died, they went into decline and were finally reconciled in 1911.

these groups are instructive.  you might think you're preserving the truth and holding out against mass apostasy, but maybe . . . you're just a small group of nuts that painted yourselves into a corner.

it's always the latter, it seems.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "Home Aloner"?
(09-15-2013, 05:14 PM)maldon Wrote: [ -> ]Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "Home Aloner"?

a home aloner is an extreme type of sedevacantist who believes that groups like SSPX, SSPV and CMRI are not legitimate because they do not strictly speaking have a canonical mission.  they will only receive the sacraments from very old priests who have never celebrated the novus ordo and who, somehow, still have a canonical, legal mandate from a bishop before 1958.  so, in practice, they never attend mass or receive sacraments.  they stay 'home alone' on sundays and read the missal or pray the rosary instead of attending mass.

the foremost home aloner is gerry matatics.  when i was going through my sedevacantist phase several years ago, i talked to him on the phone for well over an hour.  well, he talked to me.  and talked.  and talked.   LOL

this is crazy stuff, by the way.  for me, it turned out to be a reductio ad absurdam.  this is what i mean about nutty people painting themselves into corners.

and on that topic, i've taken my own advice and simply returned to my territorial, novus ordo parish, where i will attend mass without receiving the sacraments (because i cannot accept certain dogmas).  i realized that it's better for me to be an ordinary shlub, like a divorced and remarried person, who cannot receive the sacraments, rather than an old catholic (although I do agree with their theology on the papacy), or an episcopalian, or orthodox (again), or whatever.  i just walk 8 minutes to a standard novus ordo and focus my spiritual life on prayer, benedictine spirituality and service to others (the 'sacrament of the brother,' in the words of st. john chrysostom).  it's not ideal, but i'm tired of weird crap.  again, i'd rather be an ordinary, imperfect shlub than a perfect weirdo.
(09-15-2013, 05:24 PM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]and on that topic, i've taken my own advice and simply returned to my territorial, novus ordo parish, where i will attend mass without receiving the sacraments (because i cannot accept certain dogmas).  i realized that it's better for me to be an ordinary shlub, like a divorced and remarried person, who cannot receive the sacraments, rather than an old catholic (although I do agree with their theology on the papacy), or an episcopalian, or orthodox (again), or whatever.  i just walk 8 minutes to a standard novus ordo and focus my spiritual life on prayer, benedictine spirituality and service to others (the 'sacrament of the brother,' in the words of st. john chrysostom).  it's not ideal, but i'm tired of weird crap.  again, i'd rather be an ordinary, imperfect shlub than a perfect weirdo.

I think you have made the right decision.
Guacamole, that does sound like the right decision. Aside from reconciling the demand to go to confession and receive communion once a year though. But, aside from that, what you do seems to really be the best attitude for someone who dislikes the NO but doesn't really have much else of a choice. Sounds like something I should consider. I'm of the belief of obedience to the Church, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or be into it. As long as I do what is required of me by the Church, I am happy. So I toss in other things as well that aren't required of me but can't exactly hurt, like prayers on the side, the Jesus Prayer and the Rosary and such things like that. If I have the option to do more within the Church, like the chance to attend a TLM, then by all means, I go and I do more there. But when limited, I do what I can.
(09-15-2013, 05:24 PM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]i've taken my own advice and simply returned to my territorial, novus ordo parish, where i will attend mass without receiving the sacraments (because i cannot accept certain dogmas).  i realized that it's better for me to be an ordinary shlub, like a divorced and remarried person, who cannot receive the sacraments, rather than an old catholic (although I do agree with their theology on the papacy), or an episcopalian, or orthodox (again), or whatever.  i just walk 8 minutes to a standard novus ordo and focus my spiritual life on prayer, benedictine spirituality and service to others (the 'sacrament of the brother,' in the words of st. john chrysostom).  it's not ideal, but i'm tired of weird crap.  again, i'd rather be an ordinary, imperfect shlub than a perfect weirdo.

What about confession?  I have stayed away from Holy Communion for years but I cannot imagine going without confession.
(09-15-2013, 06:34 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]What about confession?  I have stayed away from Holy Communion for years but I cannot imagine going without confession.

i do not believe the dogma of infallibility.  i deny it.  canonically, therefore, i am a heretic and cannot receive either communion or the sacrament of penance.  i am absolutely convinced in this matter and i do not foresee that changing.
Pray
(09-15-2013, 06:37 PM)guacamole Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2013, 06:34 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]What about confession?  I have stayed away from Holy Communion for years but I cannot imagine going without confession.

i do not believe the dogma of infallibility.  i deny it.  canonically, therefore, i am a heretic and cannot receive either communion or the sacrament of penance.  i am absolutely convinced in this matter and i do not foresee that changing.

What about going Eastern Rite Catholic?  I think they see the Pope as being the "greatest among equals"
Pages: 1 2 3 4