FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Antiwar Conservatism Isn’t Going Away
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/a...oing-away/

God article about the return of isolationist conservatives and the hopeful death of conservative militants
I am certainly not a pacifist but the Neo-Conservatives were at the end of the day Utopian's who thought that Liberal Democracy could fix the broken condition of man. They were neither willing to take the immense time and expense to effect true change, nor willing to pursue actual strong isolation and so they were the worst of both worlds. Say what you will about the British they put their backs into it and were able to end global slavery. Instead we get Iraq and Afghanistan pointless wars that are unwinnable without a level of brutality and strength that we are not willing to display. As Mike says on breaking bad "there is nothing worse then half measures" and as a civilization all we are is half measures.
I would not call armed neutrality, freedom to trade and travel, and open lines of communication "isolationism."
(09-17-2013, 08:48 PM)Strategos7771 Wrote: [ -> ]I am certainly not a pacifist but the Neo-Conservatives were at the end of the day Utopian's who thought that Liberal Democracy could fix the broken condition of man. They were neither willing to take the immense time and expense to effect true change, nor willing to pursue actual strong isolation and so they were the worst of both worlds. Say what you will about the British they put their backs into it and were able to end global slavery. Instead we get Iraq and Afghanistan pointless wars that are unwinnable without a level of brutality and strength that we are not willing to display. As Mike says on breaking bad "there is nothing worse then half measures" and as a civilization all we are is half measures.

I myself consider myself to be a blend between paleoconservativism and libertarianism with a Catholic emphasis. My favorite people I keep up with are Tom Woods, Pat Buchanan and Ron Paul.

Neverless besides Catholic social teaching which we should place above all things, I also study history as we learn a lot from historical events.

I also think that the British played the right move by the House of Commons voting down military action
(09-17-2013, 09:00 PM)anamchara Wrote: [ -> ]I would not call armed neutrality, freedom to trade and travel, and open lines of communication "isolationism."

Lately I have been wanting to study more Spanish history specifically with an emphasis on its past.

If I am not mistaken did not Francisco Franco have neutrality while at the same time having an armed military in case of need?

I remember seeing a documentary that stated that Francisco Franco although playing neutral had a big military. Nerveless I think that it was his decision not to intervene that made Spain a safer haven for Jewish escaping Nazi Europe. If you think about it, Jewish people knew that because Spain was playing neutral it was a safer chance to go over there than to other places in Europe. This was my Mom's line of reasoning.
I generally just call myself right winged I am kind of a mutt, I like alot of stuff about paleo-conservatism and libertarianism although I am more of a Realist on foreign policy then a neo-con or a isolationist. I also have a lot of respect and admiration for the Traditionalist Dictatorships of Franco and Salazar I admit I just personally really dislike democracy, I think it has caused nothing but trouble and my ideal government would likely be something like what Mad Monarchist says here http://madmonarchist.blogspot.ca/2012/07...ement.html. An Executive Catholic Monarchy that is also federal and libertarian lol.

I always feel out of place I often feel light a right wing authoritarian among libertarians and a libertarian among conservatives.
(09-17-2013, 09:02 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: [ -> ]I also think that the British played the right move by the House of Commons voting down military action

Right 100% the Syria war is madness he may be a thug but I have backed Assad since the start of this, we need some counterbalance to the Super Muslim Bro's they are sweeping across the middle east and North Africa and I fear if Syria falls its just the next domino next could be Jordan, or Iraq, or Lebanon or Turkey might decide to break with the west. Obama's backing of the Super Muslim Bros was insanity, at this point in time anything that can stop the Green Tide is priority number one.

I don't think we can be fully isolationist on this because I think what we do is irrelevant as its their ideology to conquer the world and not anything any particular country as done. The Maniacs in the middle east attack everybody regardless of foreign policy including themselves.

What i would really like and ironically Putin is the only one hinting at this is protection of our Christian Brothers, perhaps an intervention to allow them to leave. It breaks my heart that those poor blessed souls who have been there since our Lord rose would have to leave their homes but I don't see how else they come out of the storm alive I pray Putin even if it is crass self interest does something for our eastern brothers God knows the current crop of morons who run the west won't
It's interesting to note Wilson a progressive wanted to make the world safe for democracy, which sounds a lot like "W.  I think all of the I'm paleo, or neo-con, is a waste.

Philosophy has meaning in Ivory Towers, but not where we are. I see the right left paradigm as a false dichotomy, and put forward only to keep us occupied. Christ is a contradiction and that's where we should be.

tim