FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The pope's Interview in La Repubblica
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(10-02-2013, 02:46 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2013, 02:29 AM)HuskerTom Wrote: [ -> ]"I have the humility and ambition to want to do something."

Can't believe no one has jumped on this line yet.  I don't know about anyone else, but doesnt this sound like he is denigrating his predecessors by suggesting none of them had the humility that he does?  And what humble person would ever say "I have the humility..."?  Odd.

This interview leaves much to be desired.  :pray:

I was accused of 'pope bashing' early in his Pontificate for calling his vaunted 'humility' false.

I agree.  It would be far more humble to take a page out of St. Thomas More's book and wear the regalia that come with the office, and a hair shirt underneath that no one knows about but you.  Talking about how humble you are is a sure sign of the opposite.  It would be fine for him to say that he is working on his humility, needs to work on it, etc. and therefore he is trying to do certain things, but that is not what he is saying. 
(10-02-2013, 08:59 AM)Sant Anselmo Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2013, 02:46 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2013, 02:29 AM)HuskerTom Wrote: [ -> ]"I have the humility and ambition to want to do something."

Can't believe no one has jumped on this line yet.  I don't know about anyone else, but doesnt this sound like he is denigrating his predecessors by suggesting none of them had the humility that he does?  And what humble person would ever say "I have the humility..."?  Odd.

I was accused of 'pope bashing' early in his Pontificate for calling his vaunted 'humility' false.

I agree.  It would be far more humble to take a page out of St. Thomas More's book and wear the regalia that come with the office, and a hair shirt underneath that no one knows about but you.  Talking about how humble you are is a sure sign of the opposite.  It would be fine for him to say that he is working on his humility, needs to work on it, etc. and therefore he is trying to do certain things, but that is not what he is saying. 

(09-12-2013, 12:19 PM)FatherCekada Wrote: [ -> ]another elaborate stunt that betrays the antithesis of humility

(Apparently several people have noticed.)

That said, in all fairness, I wonder if this is a translation problem.  I say that because the terms "humility" and "ambition" are somewhat contradictory (ambition, in its raw sense, being the cousin of Pride), and so perhaps neither term was accurately translated?  I wonder if the concepts are rather (although there is no good way to convey this):

"humility" = grounded in what's basic,  or, interested in the simplest of approaches; down to earth 
"ambition" = determined or single-minded or steadfast

Since this discussion crosses over into the personal spirituality of someone else (i.e., judgment), I'm extending the benefit of the doubt. 

There are many nuances to language especially when it comes to abstract concepts and words which would be "loaded" in one language or misunderstood in another.  A neutral term in one language could, when inaccurately transliterated, be perceived as an insult (or a boast) in another.

I say this ^ despite my anger, frustration, and grief.  :((
(10-01-2013, 05:55 AM)Sigfrid Wrote: [ -> ]He smiles again and replies: "Proselytism is solemn nonsense, it makes no sense. We need to get to know each other, listen to each other and improve our knowledge of the world around us.

So St. Peter converting 3000 after the Holy Ghost descended is solemn nonsense? Without proselytism to some degree, our church would be quite small indeed
This is not the Catholicism I converted to in 2010.  This is not the Catholicism the saints and martyrs (real ones) died for.  This is not the Catholicism that professes itself to be the bride of Christ.

This is modernism.  Relativistic, humanistic, Lordship-denying modernism.  And there is none so blind as he who will not see.
Guy's I think we need to take a page out of the Muslim playbook, were in a demographic battle and as Mark Steyn puts it "Demographics is a game of last man standing." Liberalism is extremely destructive of church attendance and has no long term survivability as delayed adulthood and feminism basically cut the birth rate down to a population death spiral. Traditional Catholics, Orthodox Jews and Evangelical Protestants have large families and they show up for services. Absolute worst case scenario we will win by default in the long term. Granted catastrophic damage will have been done, but in this case demographics favor us.
(10-02-2013, 01:27 PM)Strategos7771 Wrote: [ -> ]Guy's I think we need to take a page out of the Muslim playbook, were in a demographic battle and as Mark Steyn puts it "Demographics is a game of last man standing." Liberalism is extremely destructive of church attendance and has no long term survivability as delayed adulthood and feminism basically cut the birth rate down to a population death spiral. Traditional Catholics, Orthodox Jews and Evangelical Protestants have large families and they show up for services. Absolute worst case scenario we will win by default in the long term. Granted catastrophic damage will have been done, but in this case demographics favor us.

The problem with this is that liberal humanism is incredibly good at making converts. Yes, religious traditionalists might have a lot of kids, but you have to remember that most of those kids will grow up to be secular liberals who despise religion and want nothing to do with its medieval, homophobic nonsense. In truth, any sort of traditional Christianity is probably doomed in the West. I mean, even the Pope is going around telling us that he is in no position to judge anyone and that all that matters is that we each pursue our own unique vision of the good, and when even the head of the Catholic Church has been reduced to saying things that one might hear on Oprah, I don't know why we should think that anyone else will fare any better.
(10-02-2013, 02:19 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2013, 01:27 PM)Strategos7771 Wrote: [ -> ]Guy's I think we need to take a page out of the Muslim playbook, were in a demographic battle and as Mark Steyn puts it "Demographics is a game of last man standing." Liberalism is extremely destructive of church attendance and has no long term survivability as delayed adulthood and feminism basically cut the birth rate down to a population death spiral. Traditional Catholics, Orthodox Jews and Evangelical Protestants have large families and they show up for services. Absolute worst case scenario we will win by default in the long term. Granted catastrophic damage will have been done, but in this case demographics favor us.

The problem with this is that liberal humanism is incredibly good at making converts. Yes, religious traditionalists might have a lot of kids, but you have to remember that most of those kids will grow up to be secular liberals who despise religion and want nothing to do with its medieval, homophobic nonsense. In truth, any sort of traditional Christianity is probably doomed in the West. I mean, even the Pope is going around telling us that he is in no position to judge anyone and that all that matters is that we each pursue our own unique vision of the good, and when even the head of the Catholic Church has been reduced to saying things that one might hear on Oprah, I don't know why we should think that anyone else will fare any better.

Thats true, in the wider culture yes that certainly is a problem, I mean within the Church itself, perhaps there is some hope
(10-02-2013, 09:50 AM)Miriam_M Wrote: [ -> ](Apparently several people have noticed.)

I even have a protestant friend who, when I made my statement, said he thought he was the only one who saw through HH's faux 'humilty'. The problem with your language analysis is that many of us had seen through it long before he used the word. It became obvious in his stunts of refusing the traditional garb after election, going to pay his own hotel bill, insisting on driving himself, etc. The latter case is especially glaring because I'm sure it's against the advice and to the great consternation of his security team.
Here is a blog post from the priest who celebrates the diocesan TLM at my parish:

http://smrcc.org/pastors-blog/202-words

I'm pretty sure we all can figure out who he is referring to. There is much wisdom in what he writes here.
(10-02-2013, 08:27 PM)demoslider Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a blog post from the priest who celebrates the diocesan TLM at my parish:

http://smrcc.org/pastors-blog/202-words

I'm pretty sure we all can figure out who he is referring to. There is much wisdom in what he writes here.

Agreed. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10