FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Paradigm shift: Novus Ordo to Vetus Ordo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Something very big is happening in the Catholic Church, and it's going on behind the scenes and underneath the radar. It's happening in America, France, Britain, and in other places around the globe. This trend seems to be most evident in industrialised Western nations, but we can see traces of it starting to develop in the rest of the world as well. What we are witnessing is nothing less than a massive paradigm shift. Traditional liturgy is coming back, and the Traditional Latin Mass (Vetus Ordo or "Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite") is leading the way.

The United States of America, like France and Britain, is a microcosm of this worldwide trend. Everywhere we look in the Catholic Church today, the news coming out about the Vernacular Mass (Novus Ordo or "Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite") is becoming downright depressing. Parish attendance is down. The number of people who believe what the Catholic Church teaches is at an all time low. Many Catholic laypeople (particularly politicians) are in open rebellion against Church teaching. The number of new priestly vocations remain at an all time low, and of those few young men who do want to be priests, fewer still want anything to do with the Vernacular Mass (Novus Ordo). Most of them openly prefer the Traditional Latin Mass (Vetus Ordo), and would prefer to celebrate mass that way. The trend holds true in religious orders as well. A few traditional orders are flourishing, while the greater number of modernised orders are fading away.

There is some good news though. Of those priests who prefer the Vetus Ordo, their number is growing at an exponential rate. Likewise, the number of Vetus Ordo masses has more than doubled over the last decade. Even more remarkable, is the disproportionate number of young people attending the Vetus Ordo mass over the Novus Ordo mass. Yes, something is definitely happening in the Catholic Church. It is a big movement, and it is undeniably led by youth! The trend is clear now. It is slow and gradual, but a definite trend nonetheless. Young people are abandoning the Novus Ordo mass, and turning in increasingly large numbers to the Vetus Ordo mass.

Along with this trend has come an increase in fidelity to Catholic teaching. Make no mistake about it, any survey of a Latin Mass parish, will reveal a much larger degree of fidelity to Church teaching than the typical Vernacular Mass parish. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong on this. Per capita, the Latin Mass people beat Vernacular Mass people in fidelity to Church teaching -- hands down!

read the rest at:  http://catholicozarks.blogspot.com/2013/...hurch.html
[Image: holymass.jpg]

How we need this hope that the Truths of the faith and the beauty, reverence, and graces of the Traditional Latin Mass will endure and that more and more people are discovering this.
Good news this, but then why doesn't the Holy Father see that this is where the Holy Spirit (Ghost) is leading the church?

Instead it seems he thinks the Holy Spirit is with the charismatics and the other movements, like the Neocatachumenal Way etc.

Is his personal prejudice keeping him from realizing this?

Traditional Catholicism will exist and hopefully grow in spite of this unhelpful climate - it certainly won't get any support from this pope.
It will happen the same way that it happened in the 60s. I mean look at Pope Pius XII who knew that under him were all these modernist waiting to come out of the woodwork and wreck havoc, the fact is that the ground swell was already building it was the council that brought everything faster and with as much shock as it did. So now we are taking back the Church the same way it was taken away from us. Eventually it will be the so called "biological" solution that will be the most decisive factor in this story. I believe that Pope Benedict always had this idea in mind as he made sure that the SP was always a bottom up project rather than the other way around.

After all the players at the top change with the pontificate however the laborers at the bottom are unknown and simply work. Eventually the players in our side get promoted because they are the only ones left to pick from.
(10-02-2013, 03:02 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]It will happen the same way that it happened in the 60s. I mean look at Pope Pius XII who knew that under him were all these modernist waiting to come out of the woodwork and wreck havoc, the fact is that the ground swell was already building it was the council that brought everything faster and with as much shock as it did. So now we are taking back the Church the same way it was taken away from us. Eventually it will be the so called "biological" solution that will be the most decisive factor in this story. I believe that Pope Benedict always had this idea in mind as he made sure that the SP was always a bottom up project rather than the other way around.

After all the players at the top change with the pontificate however the laborers at the bottom are unknown and simply work. Eventually the players in our side get promoted because they are the only ones left to pick from.

Exactly.  I still think Benedict's prediction of a smaller Church, a return to the mustard seed is in our future.  There was a time when the more Progressive type would remain Catholic in attempt to change the Church.  It seems like with my generation (born in the early 80s) the progressives just leave.
While this certainly makes me happy, I'd love to see an across the board analysis of seminarians including the traditional formation seminarians. I'd like to see a trend line analysis. What I'd like to see is the rate at which this is moving in it's entirety.

tim
I posted this is another thread the other day, but I think it fits here quite well.  I found it interesting.

Update: The Latin Mass in America Today A Candid Interview with Byron Smith

http://reginamag.com/update-latin-mass-america-today/

Here's an excerpt from a note I got today -- yesterday? (I'm bad with time, what with my sleep weirdness) -- from a young guy that just cheered my heart:

From Letter Wrote:"My 23rd birthday was in April; I spent ten years prior oscillating between proclaiming myself an atheist and propounding confused metaphysical paradigms. All the while I dabbled in religious literature of many varieties; by these means I was exposed to the philosophic works, especially of St Thomas, which gradually engendered my return to the Church. In the fall of 2012, during the weeks leading up to my reversion, Fish Eaters almost single-handedly facilitated my discovery of true Catholic culture. The Church in which I was raised bore none of the dignified or sublime marks which define Catholicism. Through your site, I was exposed to movements within the Church which seek to safeguard and promote Her fundamental tenets and concomitants thereof, both intellectual and cultural. I was exposed to the prayers of my childhood in their original dignity, and to the majesty and otherworldliness of our Mother Church as She was meant to be, philosophical aspects intact. Most importantly, those facets of worship which, in my youth, I had so intensely disliked for their meaninglessness and pedestrian nature were exposed as falsifications; your site motivated me to attend Mass in the Extraordinary Form. Myself aside, every traditionally-inclined Catholic I know frequents your site for the same reason I do: it is full of wonderful resources! Prayers, Vatican documents, expositions on all aspects of Catholic life. The art and arrangement is also really cool; through your site my friends and I became fans of Daniel Mitsui's art."

The young people out there are STARVING for stability, tradition, sanity, authentic Catholic culture, ANSWERS. They're literally hungering for these things -- and it's we trads who have what they need. We simply have to reach out to "da yoots" (thanks, Cousin Vinnie) and present what we know to them in a way that "meets them where they're at" (and I have no cheeziness or watering-down of anything in mind, of course. I refer here to understanding the lives of young people, the zeitgeist, the influences they have to battle, what they think they know and why and perhaps using some of the same tools that brainwashed them in the first place in order to "unbrainwash" them -- e.g., the arts, video, comic strips, humor, etc.).

The more I read articles such as the one in the OP, the more I hear from young folks, the more hopeful I feel about the human element of the Church and its future. So the Holy Father doesn't get it. So too many of our hierarchs act as enemy toward what we're trying to do (see the thread The Etiology of [Church Militant TV] just posted today). Know that our seminaries are being filled by these same young guys who are thirsting for what our ancestors had!  And know that the Boomer generation that was at the heart of all the madness are getting old and beginning to die off. We cannot give up the fight, give in to hopelessness; we've got to FIGHT -- and fight harder NOW more than EVER.

But my warning is that unless we do it without minding the things I talked about in the "Stabbed in the Back - Who feels the same?" thread (see quote below), it will not work out in the end. We need a Restoration that will last, that won't simply be a manifestation of the "pendulum swinging back in the other direction," which just leads to another swing in the opposite direction when the next generation comes around.

Vox from the Stabbed in the Back thread Wrote:If Truth were what draws people (as a group), the Church would be filled to the rafters and no one would ever leave Her. "Ideally, they [emotions] are subject to reason" -- sure. But we're not living in an ideal world. We live in a fallen world, a world in which the average IQ is 100,  in which most folks don't read books (let alone books on theology),  in which demagoguery works (think about how many folks thinks "the Republicans" just shut down government, or that gay "marriage" is a great idea), in which most folks couldn't recognize a logical fallacy if it were to crawl up their butts and lay eggs. That's the reality. And the bigger reality is that Our Lord loves those non-bright, average IQ, fallacy-ridden people as much as he loves folks who come to the right intellectual conclusions. And He undoubtedly loves them even MORE than folks who come to the right intellectual conclusions but who are jerks, are nasty, who disrespect (rather than respectfully criticize  or disagree with) His Vicar, and who don't exhibit love of neighbor.

Like I said, the Devil himself knows Who Jesus is. Intellectual conclusions do not save anyone. Faith, a conversion of the heart by the grace that comes from Christ alone, and doing His Will in love, with the aid of His grace, are what saves. And His Will is summarized by two commandments: " The first commandment of all is, Hear, O Israel: the Lord thy God is one God. And thou shalt love the Lord thy God, with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength. This is the first commandment. And the second is like to it: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these."

I've said it before and will keep saying it:  intellectual rigor when it comes to protecting doctrine and coming up with the best ways of evangelizing, etc., is great. It's NECESSARY. But the Faith isn't an IQ test, and the Church isn't Mensa. The overly-intellectual approach that many take in the trad world could well be the death of traditional Catholicism if things were left solely to temporal forces. I very well understand the riches the Church offers to us eggheady types (it's endless!), but She is much more -- SO much more -- than that. Without true conversion, as opposed to treating the Faith like a philosophy, it's all for naught. We trads, as a group, underestimate the needs of the heart to the degree that the touchy-feely Catholics overemphasize them., and like I said in an earlier thread, we underestimate God's Love while overestimating His Justice in the same way that other Catholics do the exact opposite. Both sides are missing out. Nothing will ever be fixed until these things are reconciled. A failure to do that will do nothing but set up the human element of the Church for another "spirit of Vatican II" type situation.  And since we trads are right doctrinally, and are right about the Sacramental rites, traditional devotions, the need for discipline, etc., and since we are the temporal hope of the human element of the Church, it's up to us to move 15 degrees toward the things we're not paying nearly enough attention to, as a group. 

So while our young, new priests offer the traditional Sacramental rites, and our young theologians present authentic traditional Catholic teaching (see FETradition ), we have to nip in the bud the idea that the Faith is a mere matter of having the right premises and coming to the proper philosophical conclusions through valid argumentation. If our hearts are not given to Christ and the Holy Ghost is not allowed to inspire us to love of God and neighbor, it's all a WASTE OF TIME.

thought I should post this

To Evangelize we need our imagination. The imagination is the faculty which can get closest to understanding Christ. Jesus Christ was a sort of novella speaker. He told stories from His imagination. Novels are how most people come to understand concepts. I'm not saying to make things up.

The Sisters liked to tell us about St. Lawrence. Nothing I know of can make more of an impact than a man being cooked alive quipping turn me over this side is done.
The Sisters informed us some thought the martyrs like St. Lawrence full of Christ felt no pain. That fires the imagination for sure.

What are we doing when we are meditating while praying the rosary, but imagining ?? If you can focus of the mystery we are placing ourselves at the scene. We can be with Mary, and the other women, and St. John at the foot of the cross. We can be standing next to Simon of Cyrene.

My next suggestion is to re-read the homilies in the Breviary of the Fathers. St. Thomas should not be front and center, we need to return to the way the Church was for 1200 years before and emphasize that. I'm not being an archaeologist but we must think as they thought.

tim

Pages: 1 2