FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 50 ‘Hand-Picked’ Christians Trained To Convince Churches To Re-Interpret Scriptu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

From the Aquila Report:

50 ‘Hand-Picked’ Christians Trained To Convince Churches To Re-Interpret Scripture’s Gay Boundaries

Fifty hand-picked Christians were part of a seminal conference in an effort to spread the idea in the American church that Scripture allows for monogamous homosexual activity
Written by Jeff Schapiro | Sunday, September 29, 2013

Many Christians think they cannot believe in the full authority and inspiration of the Bible and at the same time support same-sex relationships, says Matthew Vines, though he hopes to convince them that isn’t the case. Vines says he’s received several hundred emails over the course of the last year-and-a-half from conservative-minded Christians who have changed their minds on the issue. Most of them were laypeople, he says, though he never expected conservative pastors to change their minds immediately.

Fifty hand-picked Christians were part of a seminal conference last week planned by Matthew Vines, a 23-year-old gay Christian who believes Scripture allows for monogamous homosexual activity, in an effort to spread the idea in the American church over the next decade.

Vines says he has had success in convincing lay members of churches over the last year that monogamous homosexual activity is allowed by Scripture, but is encountering resistance from Scriptural scholars. He is likely to encounter much more, say theologians.

Vox Wrote:LOL OK, so the folks who actually study Scrripture aren't buying it. I see. Shouldn't he take that as a clue? 

More than 100 people applied to participate in the four-day conference, though only 50 were accepted, and the chosen were required to rigorously study throughout the summer before the conference even began. Vines sent them 1,100 pages of dense, academic reading material, for example, to make sure they understood both sides of the issue before the event began last Wednesday.

“The goal of the conference was to be training Christians who are in churches that don’t currently support LGBT people and to give them the biblical tools and knowledge that they need to go back to their churches and have constructive, persuasive conversations with other believers on these issues,” Vines told CP.

Vox Wrote:This is what angers me:  one can support LGBT people (though I wish the non-fetish "T" folks weren't grouped in with them) without changing Church doctrine regarding the sinfulness of acting sexually on homosexual impulses. They set up a false dichotomy in which, of course, we lose. We either don't agree with Church teaching -- OR -- we "don't support LGBT people." See how it goes? 

Some conference participants do attend LGBT-affirming churches, Vines told CP, though those who do so have other ties to conservative Christians.

The event was held last week at Asbury United Methodist Church in Prairie Village, Kan., and was hosted by The Reformation Project, an effort started by Vines to re-educate the church concerning gay activity. The Reformation Project is a “Bible-based, Christian non-profit organization that seeks to reform church teaching on sexual orientation and gender identity,” according to the group’s website.

Event participants, who are simply being called “Reformers,” are required “to be willing to be a public, accessible, visible leader in their communities for the indefinite future going forward on these issues,” said Vines. Regardless of what each leaders’ strategy is for inspiring reform, the 23-year-old said it is important for them to be both “respectful and sensitive” when engaged in dialogue with others.

“Our primary goal is not to make the church pro-LGBT,” said Vines. “Our primary goal is to protect the integrity of the body of Christ as the witness to God’s love on earth.”
This is stupid. As Catholics, we and the whole Church should pay no attention to such things. Like, how can this guy expect to be taken seriously? He hand-picked 50 "scholars" or whatever to promote his own beliefs. Apparently these 50 random people know things better than the past 2000 years of Catholic scripture scholars. As I said, pay no attention to them and they shall go away for they will notice that they get nowhere.
This is demonstrative of what is wrong with the Protestant religions. They determine morality be a democratic vote. in this case Adam and Eve commited no wrong because they met and had a democratic vote that eating fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was not immoral but rather actually good. Then why are we not still in the Garden of Paradise? Because the one vote that really counted was not consulted.   
This is an example that shows the need for a teaching authority to remove all doubt in various areas of scripture interpretation.

I wouldn't discount the impact of these kinds of initiatives, it has worked in the past - the masons and modernists did the same thing, strategically planting their people in seminaries and key positions in the Church.

Of course within the Catholic context, these initiatives can only go so far as ideally the Pope is able to identify this rot and stamp it out through condemnations, firings, excommunications and calls to repentance.

However the gay movement within the Church will continue to grow if Our Lord's Vicar on earth keeps saying "who am I to judge?"
(10-03-2013, 10:49 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]This is an example that shows the need for a teaching authority to remove all doubt in various areas of scripture interpretation.

I wouldn't discount the impact of these kinds of initiatives, it has worked in the past - the masons and modernists did the same thing, strategically planting their people in seminaries and key positions in the Church.

Of course within the Catholic context, these initiatives can only go so far as ideally the Pope is able to identify this rot and stamp it out through condemnations, firings, excommunications and calls to repentance.

However the gay movement within the Church will continue to grow if Our Lord's Vicar on earth keeps saying "who am I to judge?"

Sadly that is so true. If His Holiness wanted to be liked, he got in the wrong business. Catholics are never popular. I agree, let's not be tied down to just 3 issues. Holy Father is right we are much more than moralists...however bring back the hard-hitting language we heard in the beginning, you know the “When one does not profess Jesus Christ, one professes the worldliness of the devil”.
Vox has a site which promotes the True Faith and can't make ends meet. These guys can get all kinds of folks and supply 1100 pages for serious study at a meeting.
There has to be a secret money man or woman.

tim
(10-02-2013, 10:19 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]From the Aquila Report:

50 ‘Hand-Picked’ Christians Trained To Convince Churches To Re-Interpret Scripture’s Gay Boundaries

Fifty hand-picked Christians were part of a seminal conference in an effort to spread the idea in the American church that Scripture allows for monogamous homosexual activity
Written by Jeff Schapiro | Sunday, September 29, 2013

Many Christians think they cannot believe in the full authority and inspiration of the Bible and at the same time support same-sex relationships, says Matthew Vines, though he hopes to convince them that isn’t the case. Vines says he’s received several hundred emails over the course of the last year-and-a-half from conservative-minded Christians who have changed their minds on the issue. Most of them were laypeople, he says, though he never expected conservative pastors to change their minds immediately.

Fifty hand-picked Christians were part of a seminal conference last week planned by Matthew Vines, a 23-year-old gay Christian who believes Scripture allows for monogamous homosexual activity, in an effort to spread the idea in the American church over the next decade.

Vines says he has had success in convincing lay members of churches over the last year that monogamous homosexual activity is allowed by Scripture, but is encountering resistance from Scriptural scholars. He is likely to encounter much more, say theologians.

Vox Wrote:LOL OK, so the folks who actually study Scrripture aren't buying it. I see. Shouldn't he take that as a clue? 

More than 100 people applied to participate in the four-day conference, though only 50 were accepted, and the chosen were required to rigorously study throughout the summer before the conference even began. Vines sent them 1,100 pages of dense, academic reading material, for example, to make sure they understood both sides of the issue before the event began last Wednesday.

“The goal of the conference was to be training Christians who are in churches that don’t currently support LGBT people and to give them the biblical tools and knowledge that they need to go back to their churches and have constructive, persuasive conversations with other believers on these issues,” Vines told CP.

Vox Wrote:This is what angers me:  one can support LGBT people (though I wish the non-fetish "T" folks weren't grouped in with them) without changing Church doctrine regarding the sinfulness of acting sexually on homosexual impulses. They set up a false dichotomy in which, of course, we lose. We either don't agree with Church teaching -- OR -- we "don't support LGBT people." See how it goes? 

Some conference participants do attend LGBT-affirming churches, Vines told CP, though those who do so have other ties to conservative Christians.

The event was held last week at Asbury United Methodist Church in Prairie Village, Kan., and was hosted by The Reformation Project, an effort started by Vines to re-educate the church concerning gay activity. The Reformation Project is a “Bible-based, Christian non-profit organization that seeks to reform church teaching on sexual orientation and gender identity,” according to the group’s website.

Event participants, who are simply being called “Reformers,” are required “to be willing to be a public, accessible, visible leader in their communities for the indefinite future going forward on these issues,” said Vines. Regardless of what each leaders’ strategy is for inspiring reform, the 23-year-old said it is important for them to be both “respectful and sensitive” when engaged in dialogue with others.

“Our primary goal is not to make the church pro-LGBT,” said Vines. “Our primary goal is to protect the integrity of the body of Christ as the witness to God’s love on earth.”

More Satanic garbage from Protestants - 'Christians' my @$$
(10-03-2013, 02:37 PM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: [ -> ]More Satanic garbage from Protestants - 'Christians' my @$$

I would not state it that strongly, but it does demonstrate the error of sola Scriptura.

I recently came across a good Scripture passage to use with people who believe in sola Scriptura, from Nehemiah 8: 7,8:

"... the Levites, helped the people to understand the law, while the people remained in their places. And they read from the book, from the law of God, clearly; and they gave the sense, so that the people understood the reading."

It backs up the point shown in the story of the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8: 30,31:
"So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “How can I, unless some one guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. "