FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Francis’ new Constitution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the...ope-28307/

Quote:Fr. Lombardi spoke of a “complete overhaul in the organisation of the Curia” in his briefing with journalists today: the Secretariat of State becomes the papal Secretariat

GIACOMO GALEAZZI
VATICAN CITY
The Holy See waves goodbye to the Apostolic Constitution “Pastor Bonus” which regulates the way the Curia works. The Constitution is soon to be replaced by a new “Charter”. In today’s briefing with journalists, Vatican spokesman Fr. Federico Lombardi announced that the work of the “C8”, Francis’ eight-member group of cardinal advisors, would not involve “amendments or minor changes” but a “complete overhaul of the organisation of the Curia”. All the necessary amount of time needed for this process will be taken but the outcome has already been decided: the Pastor Bonus will be replaced by a “newly configured Constitution that will be include relevant points” and will be inspired on the principle of subsidiarity. The result will be a Curia that serves local Churches.

The aim is to put an end to “Roman centralism”. The “C8” will discuss the following: the pastoral care of families (including the issue of communion for remarried divorcees); the next Synod of Bishops (which bishops have already set the agenda for); turning the Secretariat of State into a papal Secretariat; the introduction of a new “moderator curiae” role to improve coordination between Vatican offices; giving greater weight to the issue of the role lay people play in the Church. These are some of the ideas that emerged from the Council of Cardinals’ meetings. The Council will meet again in January and February. “The Council seemed particularly keen to work towards highlighting the Curia’s role as a body that serves the universal Church and local Churches,” Fr. Lombardi said. Pope Francis’ eight cardinal advisors discussed “subsidiarity”, in other words ensuring the Vatican has less of a “centralist” role so that Rome becomes the place where all necessary work is carried out in order to help the Church’s good actions throughout the rest of the world.

The Council of Cardinals is engaged in a series of meetings which started Tuesday and finish today. The main focus of yesterday’s discussions was the reform of the Roman Curia. Our goal is not to simply update the Pastor Bonus, the Apostolic Constitution on the Roman Curia promulgated in 1988, “making cosmetic changes, small adjustments or minor checks,” but to draft a Constitution with consistent changes.” According to Fr. Lombardi, when the work is over – and this may require some time – “we can expect a new Constitution”.

Coming soon to a theater near you, the USCCB and other Bishop's conferences having a whole bunch more autonomy.   

Frankly, I didn't think that the majority of our bishops knew that Subsidiarity even existed.  They certainly haven't applied it when it comes to social doctrine. 
Depending on how this turns out I might 'go' SSPX. It's just too much for me all this modernist crap. I want to stay under Ecclesia Dei but hell, will it even exist in another few months?

The biggest evil in the world today... is unemployment!
(10-03-2013, 01:14 PM)Basilios Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on how this turns out I might 'go' SSPX. It's just too much for me all this modernist crap. I want to stay under Ecclesia Dei but hell, will it even exist in another few months?

The biggest evil in the world today... is unemployment!

You forgot "loneliness of the old."
I think Pope Francis may have been misunderstood when he said the most important evils are unemployed youth and the loneliness of the old.

When I was reading the Philokalia, I would get frustrated when one Father would say, "the most important thing is X," and another would say, "the thing most necessary above all is Y."  Then I came to realize that it was just an idiom.  It's a way of saying, "A really important thing is ____."

I don't think the Holy Father would ever agree that the unemployment of a young person is worse than abortion.  I think we're talking about a figure of speech.  As Vox Clamantis has said, we should give the benefit of the doubt.
I dont know why the pessimism as far I can see the Curia have been extremely ineffective in most of its responsibilities to leave it to local synods until its time to come down with the hammer seems reasonable to me.  

Besides the Apostolic Constitution has more to do with administrative functions not with doctrine.
This is the most troubling part:

"The “C8” will discuss the following: the pastoral care of families (including the issue of communion for remarried divorcees)"
Regarding plans for subsidiarity, as with a lot of things like this, it could be efficacious or not depening on how the people involved handle it.  The people in Rome are not omniscient, so ideally local bishops and provincial and national synods could be in a better position to handle problems in their areas.  The Church functioned in this way for a long time before the Curia became essentially what it is now around the time of the Council of Trent.  Of course, for this to work Rome would have to be able to step in when local bishops are not doing their duties, as St. Gregory noted: "...if any fault is found in bishops, I know not what bishop is not subject to [the Apostolic See]. But when no fault requires it to be otherwise, all according to the principle of humility are equal."

Archbishop Muller of the CDF gave an interview recently and he addressed subsidiarity with relation to bishop's conferences:

KNA: If I've understood Pope Francis correctly, then he wants national bishops' conferences to take on more responsibility - also in controversial issues, and Roman authorities to function in a more subsidiary way as service providers. Will this affect the CDF in your opinion?

Archbishop Müller: The CDF is responsible for the whole world in the interests of the papal Magisterium. Bishops lead local Churches. The papal and the episcopal office are legitimised by divine law. That is something that bishops' conferences are not. They are work groups but do not have a competence to teach of their own over and above that of an individual bishop's mandate. So they are not a third authority between the Pope and bishops. I don't think, therefore, that we'll see a sort of federalist reform similar to that in the Federal Republic [of Germany] where key competences are relayed from the central state to the individual [German] states. That is not how the Church is constituted. According to the teaching of the Second Vatican Council, the Church consists in and of the local Churches.

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/blogs/668/18
(10-03-2013, 01:20 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]I think Pope Francis may have been misunderstood when he said the most important evils are unemployed youth and the loneliness of the old.

When I was reading the Philokalia, I would get frustrated when one Father would say, "the most important thing is X," and another would say, "the thing most necessary above all is Y."  Then I came to realize that it was just an idiom.  It's a way of saying, "A really important thing is ____."

I don't think the Holy Father would ever agree that the unemployment of a young person is worse than abortion.  I think we're talking about a figure of speech.  As Vox Clamantis has said, we should give the benefit of the doubt.

Everything is a misunderstanding... Vatican II, the New Mass, papal pronouncements, interviews... Sorry, I don't buy it!
You guys do remember the Prophecy of Malachi of Armagh ??  This is Peter II and there are no more after that.

tim
(10-03-2013, 03:19 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]You guys do remember the Prophecy of Malachi of Armagh ??  This is Peter II and there are no more after that.

In all seriousness, I think that Cardinal Sean O'Malley may be the next pope.  There was a lot of buzz about him during the runup to the last conclave, and he is among the eight cardinals chosen by the Holy Father to advise him.  Perhaps he is being groomed.  He would make sense as a follow-up to Pope Francis.
Pages: 1 2 3 4