FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Was this sinful?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here in Vietnam, the main religion is a form of buddhism but instead of praying to Buddha, they pray to their deceased family members. When they pray, they offer fruits and fake money. The teachers that I work with have a shrine in the kitchen and today they prayed and offered some fruit. Afterward, they gave the fruit out to us. At first, I didn't think that there may be something wrong with eating the fruit, but as I was chewing, I felt like I was offending God, so I stopped.

Was it sinful? I know that for a sin to be mortal, you have to know that it was a mortal sin but still consent to it. What I'm asking is if eating the fruit could be considered sinful?
One of the issues for Christians in the first century was eating meat that had been sacrificed to idols.  Here is what St. Paul says:
Quote:About meat, then, used in idolatrous worship, we can be sure of this, that a false god has no existence in the order of things; there is one God, and there can be no other.  Whatever gods may be spoken of as existing in heaven or on earth (and there are many such gods, many such lords), for us there is only one God, the Father who is the origin of all things, and the end of our being; only one Lord, Jesus Christ, the creator of all things, who is our way to him.  But it is not everybody who has this knowledge; there are those who still think of such meat, while they eat it, as something belonging to idolatrous worship, with the thought of the false god in their minds; their conscience is not easy, and so incurs guilt.  And it is not what we eat that gives us our standing in God's sight; we gain nothing by eating, lose nothing by abstaining; it is for you to see that the liberty you allow yourselves does not prove a snare to doubtful consciences.  If any of them sees one who is better instructed sitting down to eat in the temple of a false god, will not his conscience, all uneasy as it is, be emboldened to approve of eating idolatrously?  And thus, through thy enlightenment, the doubting soul will be lost; thy brother, for whose sake Christ died.  When you thus sin against your brethren, by injuring their doubtful consciences, you sin against Christ.  Why then, if a mouthful of food is an occasion of sin to my brother, I will abstain from flesh meat perpetually, rather than be the occasion of my brother's sin.

1 Corinthians 8:4-13 (Knox translation).

So, enjoy the fruit, but not if it scandalizes someone else.

I'm more concerned about the fake money aspect.  How dare they cheat their ancestors like that!   Sticking tongue out at you
What does the local church say about these things? When the missionaries came to the orient they discovered that what appeared as "worship" sometimes wasn't as it seemed. The people offered veneration to their ancestors that was comparable to the veneration that we offer to the saints in Heaven. Some of the people had an understanding of a place of purgation for those who had died and had some sins that needed to be cleansed. I would g to confession and defer to what the priest would tell you. 
No it wasn't sinful, you just have a good conscience.
(10-04-2013, 02:52 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]One of the issues for Christians in the first century was eating meat that had been sacrificed to idols.  Here is what St. Paul says:
Quote:About meat, then, used in idolatrous worship, we can be sure of this, that a false god has no existence in the order of things; there is one God, and there can be no other.  Whatever gods may be spoken of as existing in heaven or on earth (and there are many such gods, many such lords), for us there is only one God, the Father who is the origin of all things, and the end of our being; only one Lord, Jesus Christ, the creator of all things, who is our way to him.  But it is not everybody who has this knowledge; there are those who still think of such meat, while they eat it, as something belonging to idolatrous worship, with the thought of the false god in their minds; their conscience is not easy, and so incurs guilt.  And it is not what we eat that gives us our standing in God's sight; we gain nothing by eating, lose nothing by abstaining; it is for you to see that the liberty you allow yourselves does not prove a snare to doubtful consciences.  If any of them sees one who is better instructed sitting down to eat in the temple of a false god, will not his conscience, all uneasy as it is, be emboldened to approve of eating idolatrously?  And thus, through thy enlightenment, the doubting soul will be lost; thy brother, for whose sake Christ died.  When you thus sin against your brethren, by injuring their doubtful consciences, you sin against Christ.  Why then, if a mouthful of food is an occasion of sin to my brother, I will abstain from flesh meat perpetually, rather than be the occasion of my brother's sin.

1 Corinthians 8:4-13 (Knox translation).

So, enjoy the fruit, but not if it scandalizes someone else.

I'm more concerned about the fake money aspect.  How dare they cheat their ancestors like that!   Sticking tongue out at you

And here's what the Apostolic College had to say at the Council of Jerusalem (the first Ecumenical Council, tho' we don't count it as such,)

Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 15 Wrote:[28] For it hath seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to us, to lay no further burden upon you than these necessary things: [29] That you abstain from things sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication; from which things keeping yourselves, you shall do well. Fare ye well.
[/quote]