FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Assisted Suicide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The dissident theologian Hans Küng has revealed that he is considering assisted suicide.

Küng, who at the age of 85 is suffering from Parkinson’s disease, writes in a forthcoming memoir that he does not “want to live on as a shadow of myself.” Questioning whether he will be able to continue living with dignity, he writes: “A scholar who can no longer read and write—what’s next?”

Having argued that individuals have a right to choose death in the face of painful illness, he asks readers: “If I have to decide myself, please abide by my wish.”

A Swiss priest who served as a theological expert at Vatican II, Küng taught for years at the University of Tübingen in Germany. Because of his persistent criticism of Church teachings on a wide range of issues, in 1979 the Vatican decreed that Küng could no longer be considered a “Catholic” theologian. He has continued to press for change in the Catholic Church and has been a harsh critic of his former colleague, Pope Benedict XVI.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=19248
Didn't he declare himself a sedevacantist when Pope Benedict promulgated Summorum Pontificum?
Big surprise.
Well if heresy, apostasy, and schism don't guarantee he loses his soul, this just might do the trick.

My dad died of Parkinson's a few years ago. It's a terrible disease. He lay in bed for over a year completely paralyzed until he passed on, but he never complained. He died a faithful Catholic.
(10-04-2013, 03:40 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]“A scholar who can no longer read and write—what’s next?”

Not so crazy at all. Many of the most prolific Christian authors (no less than St. Augustine) wrote by amanuensis, dictating their work to scribes, and certainly many were also read to as well, because of failing eyesight or other reasons. Reading used to be a somewhat noisy act, as silent reading was rare, and copies of books were scarce. In monastic setting and elsewhere, like royal households, books were read aloud for the benefit of others. Although medieval monarchs are notorious nowadays for having been illiterate, they were far from unlettered---they simply had things read for them, often in various languages, including classical literature.

The heretic Küng could follow their example and continue his scholarship with assistants reading for him aloud and dictating his words, but everyone is really better off if he does not, and all would have been happier had he never taken up the pen.
:'(

Can't really see how a catholic theologian (err, man with his education) can escape hell if he committed suicide.  He might be in need of some prayer.  (Well, for that, and his apostasy.)
We should pray very hard for this man.
(10-04-2013, 05:41 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: [ -> ]:'(

Can't really see how a catholic theologian (err, man with his education) can escape hell if he committed suicide.  He might be in need of some prayer.  (Well, for that, and his apostasy.)

He's not to be considered a "Catholic theologian," according to Pope John Paul II, thank God.