FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Okay now I am confused: Pope Francis on celibacy and virginity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Unlike most of the statements made on so called letters to atheists and newspaper headlines this statement is very clear as far as what he is thinking and saying.

Family is the vocation that God wrote in the nature of man and woman, but there is another vocation, complementary to that of matrimony: the calling to celibacy and to virginity for the Kingdom of Heaven. It is the vocation that Jesus himself lived.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/10...ibacy.html

h/t: Rorate Caeli

So, whats going on with Pope Francis? Are we really misinterpreting him, do we just don't know why he says things? Is this just part of his grand strategy to deal with the world?

I am not sure but if it is I wish he could let us in on it. Oh well, by their fruits you shall know them, I guess.
Exactly what is wrong or confusing about that statement?
I read it this morning and for once I wasn't confused. So naturally I am missing something! Smile

C.
(10-05-2013, 09:40 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly what is wrong or confusing about that statement?

I should have been more clear. I meant that I am confused as to what to make of Pope Francis. Sometimes he seems to go off the rails saying things that do not seem to be very connected to the realities or doctrine of the Church and then he says things that are spot on and completely orthodox and clear.

That is the confusion that I am experiencing.
1)  This shows that he thinks celibacy is to be lauded.

2)  Man and woman as the foundation of the family unit, which those who paid attention already knows Pope Francis think this, so this is merely as confirmation of sorts.
Oh I see what you mean. Yes he does seem to be crystal clear and orthodox on some issues, but cloudy at others. He does seem contradicting at times. But so does the Bible. We have to take the Bible as a whole, and I guess we have to take Pope Francis that way too. It's hard to pigeon-hole him,, isn't it?
St. Pius X on Modernists:

"...in their books you find some things which might well be expressed by a Catholic, but in the next page you find other things which might have been dictated by a rationalist..."

-Pope St. Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

The whole encyclical is on the Vatican's official website:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_x...is_en.html
(10-05-2013, 09:48 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2013, 09:40 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly what is wrong or confusing about that statement?

I should have been more clear. I meant that I am confused as to what to make of Pope Francis. Sometimes he seems to go off the rails saying things that do not seem to be very connected to the realities or doctrine of the Church and then he says things that are spot on and completely orthodox and clear.

That is the confusion that I am experiencing.

Welcome to my world :p

and all of those Catholics who didn't just jump the shark and fall into either camp where he is, "lauded as the Second Coming" or "loathed as a heretic" Actual thinking Catholics are on the fence with pope Francis. He'll say some clear-cut hardcore truths and then throw a curveball that sends everyone panicking.
Any speculation or interpretation on Pope Francis interviews or comments was unhelpful, possibly sinful on my part, and sinful or scandalous for others.

I apologize and retract the statement and apologize for any sins such as Gossip, Detraction, Calumny, and Slander, scandal committed, any any instances created by other people view the speculative part of the comment.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.
I wrote something on a different thread about what His Holiness said in his La Repubblica interview being self contradictory and falling way short of the actual Catholic teaching about the incarnation. Which as far as my intellect goes is true. The next day -not necessary literally the next day- he says something that sounds clear, concise and beautifully catholic. This seems to have been the pattern from the get go.

There is spin yes, but even in his own words if you read them, the same thing happens. The texts and soundbites taken from his own mouth are a decidedly mixed bag. I am not quite as up to speed on his acts but would wager that the same thing happens there as well.
I can see how both neo-cons (+maybe some trads) and libs easily latch on to those of the Holy Fathers words that appeal to them and ignore the rest. Not a good thing to do.
Pages: 1 2