FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: FE Reading Group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I think a group that reads the Summa theologiae or the Divine Comedy would really cool.
(10-16-2013, 08:27 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]I think a group that reads the Summa theologiae or the Divine Comedy would really cool.

:pipe:

The Summa would take FOREVER. It's worth while but. . . would you like to lead that. As for the Divine Comedy, how many people here read Italian? Plus, that would take a long time as well.

Let's try to get started with something more modest. If others would like the Summa I'll give it a shot, but perhaps in another group. I get the impression that most of the people who have expressed interest in the FE Reading Group are interested in fiction with perhaps some lite non-fiction.

But, if there's interest in a Summa group, I could help with that. Different group though -- my suggestion.
(10-16-2013, 09:28 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-16-2013, 08:27 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]I think a group that reads the Summa theologiae or the Divine Comedy would really cool.

The Summa would take FOREVER. It's worth while but. . . would you like to lead that. As for the Divine Comedy, how many people here read Italian? Plus, that would take a long time as well.

Let's try to get started with something more modest. If others would like the Summa I'll give it a shot, but perhaps in another group. I get the impression that most of the people who have expressed interest in the FE Reading Group are interested in fiction with perhaps some lite non-fiction.

But, if there's interest in a Summa group, I could help with that. Different group though -- my suggestion.
Well, perhaps I should have clarified. With the Summa we would have to read specific sections, like Question one or two, etc.

Okay, (If anyone else would like to lead this go right on ahead. I'll just try to get this started. I wouldn't mind doing it, it's just that I can't promise anything great.)

1. Who is interested? Of course anyone can join at any point, but I'll PM whoever has "signed up" with updates.

This is my preliminary list:
City Smurf
Jacob (We'll try to get to some of your obscure stuff if I have any say.)
dahveed
Chestertonian
ArturoOrtiz
candyapple
Roger the Shrubber (me)
Papist? (maybe we could try to get some interest in a Summa group)
dark lancer?
Vox?

That's seven to ten right now. Anyone else what to join?

2. What schedule do we what to use?

Most reading groups meet one to three times a week. I'm a voracious reader so I'm not the right one to decide this. The volume of reading per meeting will also have to be tailored to the work. Anna Karenina
has MANY short chapters. Lord of the World has rather few but long chapters. We'll decide that when we get a book picked out.

I'd suggest two "meetings" per week. Monday and Friday would work well for me. We'll try to start slow and figure it out as we go along. I know candyapple has limited time.

3. What book to start with?

Unless everyone is all for buying the books or going to the library, I think we should try to stick with public domain. Also, people might lurk along with us, so let's try to restrict it to very available stuff. That's okay, there's LOTS of stuff out on the internets, enough for the rest of all our lives.

That said, Robert Hugh Benson has been named by of few of those who are interested. He's absolutely solid. http://www.benson-unabridged.com/
[Image: Benson_41.jpg]

His most popular work is Lord of the World. It's an apocalyptic take on the rise of the Anti-Christ and the passion of the Church. It's unfortunately very prescient. His general style and literary technique are very good but not transcendent. His philosophical and theological underpinnings are stone sound and thoughtfully applied. This would be my suggestion, but if most of you have already read it, I have, and aren't interested in going over it again, let's just go ahead with something else. Also, if we go with Lord of the World, we should read The Dawn of All at some point later. It's the yang to the yin of LotW. We wouldn't need to read it next, just soon.

Come Rack! Come Rope!
is a historical novel that is a rather accurate presentation of the persecution endured by Catholics during the reign of "Good Queen Bess."

Necromancers is likely his most fast paced novel. It's about what you would think. Horror is really Benson playing to his strength.

The Light Invisible
and The Mirror of Shalott are a couple of excellent short story collections.

If someone is against Msgr. Benson we can try another writer. I'm good.  :bubbles:

P.S. If any of my little grammar defects or colloquialisms :blah: annoy any of y'all just let me know. I'll tighten it up.  :tiphat:

Good night.

Well I am definitely in :)

I say that Robert Hugh Benson and sections from the Summa Theologiae both sound like excellent reads. Specifically Benson to start of with. I have been wanting to read Lord of the World.

GK Chesterton JRR Tolkien, CSS Lewis all sound like great reads as well at least some time in the future.

Also in the future probably spiritual classics such as the confessions and things of that nature

how about diary of a country priest?
I don't think I have ever heard of the book before. Is it good?
RtS,
I think Msgr. Benson sounds like a fine place to start, and we can go from there. I also like ArturoOrtiz' and Chestertonian's suggestions, perhaps once we've gotten things rolling. My time's somewhat limited, but I am looking forward to this.
(10-17-2013, 01:22 AM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: [ -> ]Well I am definitely in :)

I say that Robert Hugh Benson and sections from the Summa Theologiae both sound like excellent reads. Specifically Benson to start of with. I have been wanting to read Lord of the World.

GK Chesterton JRR Tolkien, CSS Lewis all sound like great reads as well at least some time in the future.

Also in the future probably spiritual classics such as the confessions and things of that nature

Unless someone has an objection, let's go with Lord of the World. We might try to do some questions from Summa between books.

GK Chesterton is perfect because he wrote broadly and is public domain. Tolkien and Lewis would be great too, though they aren't public. They are rather ubiquitous though. Really? you can't get a copy of LotR?

Saint Augustine's Confessions would make a great first non-fiction work -- first ever autobiography.
(10-17-2013, 01:31 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]how about diary of a country priest?

It is public domain?

I think we would have to buy it or go to the library. Maybe later. Great book though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4