FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: FE Reading Group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(10-17-2013, 05:43 AM)dahveed Wrote: [ -> ]RtS,
I think Msgr. Benson sounds like a fine place to start, and we can go from there. I also like ArturoOrtiz' and Chestertonian's suggestions, perhaps once we've gotten things rolling. My time's somewhat limited, but I am looking forward to this.

Once we get going, just let me know if we are going too fast for you. The forum isn't likely to go anywhere.
So how does this work? Read and check in on set date? I like all of the suggestion except horror. I have Bensons Necromancers if someone wants it, not my genre. (Postage not incl)
(10-18-2013, 01:26 AM)candyapple Wrote: [ -> ]So how does this work? Read and check in on set date? I like all of the suggestion except horror. I have Bensons Necromancers if someone wants it, not my genre. (Postage not incl)

Unless, someone else would like this done differently, we'll read a portion of the book for the next meeting and talk about it during the "meeting" time set for it. I'll also try to start all these periods with a little write-up on the segment to start discussion.

Say we give everyone next week to get the book if they prefer a hard copy, then on Monday morning on the 28th I'll post a break down of the first section (likely just Chapter 1 to start) and we have until Friday All Saints Day to discuss that and then I'll post for section two. So on and so forth. The point is to read along with multiple people, different eyes see different things. Also, some of us have read this before, and it is always a different experience reading something for the second time. This book should give us plenty to talk about.

I'll try to do a biographical write up on Benson early next week and a write up on the prologue by Friday next as well. This will be the soft start, with the formal start on October 28th, so long as no one objects.

"No horror" shouldn't be difficult. But what about the Dark Tower series?  Sticking tongue out at you

I need to get those PM's out.

Pipe
I am glad that my Benson suggestion has been taken up.  I think he will be a marvellous first for our reading group.  I have already read some of his works and I am looking forward to re-reading Lord of the World (I haven't read the Lord of All though!).  I am also happy with Roger's taking the lead as it were.  I think everyone should also keep in mind that this isn't a one time thing!  Hopefully this has a lot of life in it, I'm sure we'll be able to get around to everyone's favourites and take a suggestion from every one.
(10-18-2013, 12:43 PM)City Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]I am glad that my Benson suggestion has been taken up.  I think he will be a marvellous first for our reading group.  I have already read some of his works and I am looking forward to re-reading Lord of the World (I haven't read the Lord of All though!).  I am also happy with Roger's taking the lead as it were.  I think everyone should also keep in mind that this isn't a one time thing!  Hopefully this has a lot of life in it, I'm sure we'll be able to get around to everyone's favourites and take a suggestion from every one.

Benson should work quite well. Accessible, modern, profound, and theologically steady. I'm sure that everyone's voice will be heard regarding the reading list. I, for one, read very widely.

Yeah, hopefully this can catch on a bit and we can get to many books over the years. It should add some nice content to the forum. People who come to the forum after we get this started can read what we wrote and sorta' lurk along with the ghosts of our past. This is why I'll always be partial to the central works of the canon as well as books that a recent convert might be interested in.
Here is what we have going right now:

The members are City Smurf, Jacob, dahveed, Chestertonian, ArturoOrtiz, candyapple, and Roger the Shrubber. All are welcome Adeste, venite fratres join the Fisheaters Reading Group.

Our "meetings" will be Monday and Friday starting October 28th. I will try to contribute an introductory piece for each section on its given day. These will be filled with spoilers. The discussion of every section can, of course, continue though out the session. This is just to keep us together.

Our inaugural book will be Lord of the World by Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_World Arrow Left You can find some online versions here.
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-World-Robert-Hugh-Benson/dp/1461057000/ref=la_B001K7V36C_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382137940&sr=1-1

If you want to read a hard copy and you don't already have your own, you have a little over a week to get it.

Early next week I'll put together a biographical post on Benson and get the thing rolling that way.

What you contribute to the group is up to you. Try to have read the bit we'll be discussing when it comes up. Just contribute your thoughts, what you liked and disliked, and whatever other insights you might have. We're just doing this all for fun.  Bubbles

First up is the Prologue October 28th.

(If this all works, perhaps Vox could make a child board for us at some point in the future.  Smile We'll need it if we make it to the second book. I don't mean to impose though.  Bow)
(10-18-2013, 07:28 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: [ -> ]Here is what we have going right now:

The members are City Smurf, Jacob, dahveed, Chestertonian, ArturoOrtiz, candyapple, and Roger the Shrubber. All are welcome Adeste, venite fratres join the Fisheaters Reading Group.

Our "meetings" will be Monday and Friday starting October 28th. I will try to contribute an introductory piece for each section on its given day. These will be filled with spoilers. The discussion of every section can, of course, continue though out the session. This is just to keep us together.

Our inaugural book will be Lord of the World by Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_World Arrow Left You can find some online versions here.
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-World-Robert-Hugh-Benson/dp/1461057000/ref=la_B001K7V36C_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382137940&sr=1-1

If you want to read a hard copy and you don't already have your own, you have a little over a week to get it.

Early next week I'll put together a biographical post on Benson and get the thing rolling that way.

What you contribute to the group is up to you. Try to have read the bit we'll be discussing when it comes up. Just contribute your thoughts, what you liked and disliked, and whatever other insights you might have. We're just doing this all for fun.  Bubbles

First up is the Prologue October 28th.

(If this all works, perhaps Vox could make a child board for us at some point in the future.  Smile We'll need it if we make it to the second book. I don't mean to impose though.  Bow)

Thanks for the work you put in Roger Smile

I have the book already in my Kindle App when I have time (hopefully tomorrow or the day after) I will read a bit of it

Bump.
Pages: 1 2 3 4