FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Dear SSPX: Shut Up & Pray
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
from http://www.ncregister.com/blog/pat-archb...ut-up-pray

Dear SSPX: Shut Up & Pray
by Pat Archbold Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:54 PM Comments (35)

It is no secret that I am sympathetic to many of the issues that the SSPX hold dear and I was very desirous of their recognition last year and I was disappointed when the deal fell through.

It is also no secret that I am not a big fan of the Pope's extemporaneous remarks. But for all that, the reality is the Pope has not actually done anything or changed anything. The Catholic Church from last year is the same Catholic Church this year, for good or for bad. Media swooning aside, nothing has changed, at least not yet.

So it is that the recent remarks of the Superior General of the Society of Saint Pius X, Bp. Bernard Fellay are unhinged, unhelpful, and unrealistic.
“The situation of the Church is a real disaster, and the present Pope is making it 10,000 times worse.”
"When we see what is happening now we thank God, we thank God, we have been preserved from any kind of Agreement from last year. "
“If the present pope continues in the way he started, he is going to divide the Church. He’s exploding everything. So people will say: it is impossible that’s he’s the Pope, we refuse him. Others will say: “Wait, consider him as Pope, but don’t follow him. He’s provoking anger. Many people will be discouraged by what people in the Church do” and will be tempted to “throw it all away.”
"We have in front of us a genuine Modernist.”

And so on...

Again, other than some poorly chosen words, the Pope has not changed anything.

Even so, the SSPX is rushing to the microphone to shout to anyone who will listen (a number which approaches zero) that Pope Francis' actions prove that they have been right all along!!!

No it doesn't. If anything, it proves that the Church is right to keep you at arm's length.

But let's suppose for a moment that you are right. Pope Francis is a genuine modernist. He will further detach the liturgy from tradition preferring novelty. And that his future actions will cause the Church to divide itself.

Say, for the sake of argument, that all of the SSPX's worst fears are realized. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep your stupid traps shut until he actually does these things?

Everybody who cares about such things is well aware of the SSPX's adherence to Tradition as they see it. So if these things actually came to fruition, which I do not expect and pray do not happen, then people would naturally consider the reasoned arguments of the SSPX. But by seeking to climb further out on the schismatic limb and risking it breaking altogether, they do not present themselves as the reasonable alternative to a modernistic Church.

Instead, they prefer their own feelings and traditions over that of the Church, separating themselves in a fit of pique, at a time when they think the Church will need them most according to their thinking. That shows what their priorities are right now.

By choosing to use such vitriolic language toward the Pope, assuming and expecting the worst of the Pope, being so dismissive of recent Popes, and using overly dramatic and unreasoned language toward the liturgy, they help no one, particularly themselves.

If the SSPX really believes what they are saying, they would shut up and let modernism destroy itself and be there to help pick up the pieces. Instead, like petulant children, they would rather crow about how right they have been all along, counting their modernist chickens before they hatch.

Dear SSPX, if you really care about the Church, pray and shut up.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/pat-archb...z2hwnFZVSZ

Discuss....
Speculation against Pat Archibold, or any other organizations, officials or individuals was wrong and I apologize for any sins of Gossip, Detraction, Calumny, and/or Slander caused by this post, as well as any other sins committed, and any sins others fell or will fall into by reading it as a result.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.
(10-16-2013, 11:43 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Even so, the SSPX is rushing to the microphone to shout to anyone who will listen (a number which approaches zero)...

I think he's dead wrong here. I think more and more Trads (and conservatives who are not Trads) will be listening carefully to what the SSPX has to say. I know I will, and I've never attended an SSPX Mass in my life. Smile
(10-17-2013, 12:53 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-16-2013, 11:43 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Even so, the SSPX is rushing to the microphone to shout to anyone who will listen (a number which approaches zero)...

I think he's dead wrong here. I think more and more Trads (and conservatives who are not Trads) will be listening carefully to what the SSPX has to say. I know I will, and I've never attended an SSPX Mass in my life. Smile

Same here.  I had no idea who the SSPX were a year ago at this time, and just the other day I was looking up driving directions to their chapel in Kansas City.  I can't imagine I'm alone. 
This will be very interesting to watch - if this leads to a flood to the SSPX.

I have been to many beautiful SSPX Masses and am very moved by ABL in so many ways, but increasingly I can't help but see what is problematic there as well. (Which doesn't mean I want to insult them as Archbold does)

I shall be wanting to watch ICKSP and FSSP closely and see what happens there ...

I couldn't  support a flood to the SSPX, although I could understand it.

And it would prove a very interesting "sign of the times" were it to happen.
I find it disappointing that the author of the article seems so close to making a good point, and then spoils it.
Since when are priests and bishops supposed to "shut up"? There are many priests and bishops alive today who see the problems and say nothing. This silence is a part of the problem. So ultimately, I think the advice given to the SSPX is absurd.

However, there is definitely something seriously wrong with how the SSPX hierarchy expresses itself. And let us not be naive. How we express ourselves says something about what we believe and how we believe. Liturgical expression does this as well, and certainly liturgical expression is more important. But there is something wrong here with Bishop Fellay's way of speaking. The laughable fact is that he is just like Pope Francis. Both of them speak as if they were just letting off steam or in very emotional terms. Let us face facts: he cannot know for a fact that the Pope is a total modernist. Therefore to assert this is wrong on so many levels. Even if you think he is, you still have a moral obligation to resist the temptation to commit the sin of detraction. There is detraction, defamation, slander hidden under veneer of informal, off-the-cuff-interview-style that he should not do. As a bishop, he should know better. Is the pope making the crisis 10,000 times worse? Really? 10,000? I hope he has calculated exactly, because if it is 9000, he has exaggerated and in doing so has willingly portrayed his brother in Christ and his superior in a negative light. Rhetoric? Perhaps. But rhetoric is supposed to be employed not in the service of destruction but in that of construction. The pope excommunicated a liberal priest in Australia. Let him praise him for that.

Words have meaning. Either Bishop Fellay means what he says, in which case his cause is doomed, or he does not really mean what he says, in which case he should speak in a manner befitting his position. The numbers game is irrelevant, but so far all I foresee happening here is growth in FSSP, etc numbers, as the kinds of places to go to live the Faith in teh Church without constant controversy.
Granted, the Pope hasn't changed a thing yet. All lip service so far.  Thanks to this Pope I am watching the SSPX even closer. If he starts changing things I think their could be a flood to the SSPX. I would just use the NO priests for Confession only.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this a conference given by the SSPX? If so, the author shouldn't be complaining about what was said by Bishop Fellay to his own people, so to speak. If he was giving a general interview, I suppose, to the public then alright. But he wasn't.

(10-17-2013, 12:53 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

I think so too. I've known about SSPX for a long time, but I'm finding them increasingly attractive.

Quote:  If the SSPX really believes what they are saying, they would shut up and let modernism destroy itself and be there to help pick up the pieces. Instead, like petulant children, they would rather crow about how right they have been all along, counting their modernist chickens before they hatch.

How ludicrious is that? Why should they remain silent? If you knew someone was heading for a trainwreck, why wouldn't you do everything in  your power to warn them (and their passengers) of their impending fate?
I don't agree that the SSPX needs to shut up, but this is a deeper story than what the author is acknowledging. 

First of all, much of what Bishop Fellay is doing in his speech is trying to consolidate his own base within the SSPX, as well as bring back those who were frustrated and upset at the pending reconciliation with Rome last year.  It seems logical to speculate that he was talking to his own people far more than anyone else. 

Secondly, the author does make a good overall point, which is that the strident tone can and probably will, turn people off to some extent that might otherwise find the SSPX to have a reasonable position given the direction that Pope Francis seems to be taking the Church at this moment.  A reasoned and impassioned approach, which remains respectful while still showing the errors of the Holy Father's thinking in light of the teachings of the Church, would be far more likely to resonate with those who are on the fence, or rapidly approaching the fence.  If the SSPX handles this the right way, they could see a huge move towards tradition on the part of conservative Catholics who have previously bought in, or at least tried to, the hermenuetic of continuity idea that Pope Benedict proclaimed.  If those people take a serious look at Vatican II and the development of the new Mass in the light of Sacred Tradition, it could be the thing which turns the tide in the Church.  If the SSPX comes across as too strident, those people will likely be turned off before they even look deeper. 

How Bishop Fellay does all this while at the same time rallying his own people will be the difficult part for him. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6