FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Any digital Spanish bible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been wanting to buy a digital Spanish bible as they tend to be cheaper than buying the actual thing. It is also convenient for taking notes and organization

I will be doing R.C.I.A with the Spanish community and thus want to have a Spanish bible. However I would like one with a good translation, better yet if it is traditional. I have heard that the contemporary Spanish Bible (Biblia Latinoamerica) is not the best.

(10-18-2013, 06:06 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: [ -> ]I have been wanting to buy a digital Spanish bible as they tend to be cheaper than buying the actual thing. It is also convenient for taking notes and organization

I will be doing R.C.I.A with the Spanish community and thus want to have a Spanish bible. However I would like one with a good translation, better yet if it is traditional. I have heard that the contemporary Spanish Bible (Biblia Latinoamerica) is not the best.

Here's a good place to start!

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=sear...afe=active
I am a Spanish-speaker as I am a Peruvian in Lima.  I have about 30 Bibles in several languages, including Greek and Latin.  I'd say, for a traditionalist, the best choice would be the famous Torres Amat. 
Torres Amat keeps verses which have disappeared in modern times, such as the Gloria a Dios en las alturas y en la tierra paz a los hombres de buena voluntad, that now is translated as ... a los hombres que ama el Señor.  Traditional "buena voluntad" stresses the need to act in good will, that is, with God's grace, you can earn your reward.  "Que ama el Señor" means "those who are loved by the Lord" . No merit on your part, pace St. Paul.  sounds Calvinistic to me.  It's been always: the good go to heaven, the bad to hell. Predestination and other Calvinist theories I don't like.
Bishop Torres Amat translated it from the Latin vulgate in Spain about 150 years ago. It has been the standard Spanish Bible until around WWII when translations from the original Hebrew and Greek began to appear, first the famous Nacar-Colunga version, then the Bover-Cantera.  Around the early 60's appeared the Cantera-Iglesias, which is magnificent for students who seek an almost literal translation.  I use it for serious work.  A very good transaltion is the one produced by the Librerias Paulinas (you may wish to e-mail them; they are everywhere in Latin America).  Then the famous Biblia de Jerusalen, another famous edition.
(10-19-2013, 11:57 AM)voltape Wrote: [ -> ]I am a Spanish-speaker as I am a Peruvian in Lima.  I have about 30 Bibles in several languages, including Greek and Latin.  I'd say, for a traditionalist, the best choice would be the famous Torres Amat. 
Torres Amat keeps verses which have disappeared in modern times, such as the Gloria a Dios en las alturas y en la tierra paz a los hombres de buena voluntad, that now is translated as ... a los hombres que ama el Señor.   Traditional "buena voluntad" stresses the need to act in good will, that is, with God's grace, you can earn your reward.  "Que ama el Señor" means "those who are loved by the Lord" . No merit on your part, pace St. Paul.  sounds Calvinistic to me.  It's been always: the good go to heaven, the bad to hell. Predestination and other Calvinist theories I don't like.
Bishop Torres Amat translated it from the Latin vulgate in Spain about 150 years ago. It has been the standard Spanish Bible until around WWII when translations from the original Hebrew and Greek began to appear, first the famous Nacar-Colunga version, then the Bover-Cantera.  Around the early 60's appeared the Cantera-Iglesias, which is magnificent for students who seek an almost literal translation.  I use it for serious work.  A very good transaltion is the one produced by the Librerias Paulinas (you may wish to e-mail them; they are everywhere in Latin America).  Then the famous Biblia de Jerusalen, another famous edition.

Thanks for the info

I am planning on getting the Torres Amat version it seems to be my best bet

Most Spanish speakers I know have the LatinoAmerica version but I heard its not that good (kind of a Spanish NAB bible)

I also have the Navarra bible which I personally like. But I think having the Torres Amat version would come in handy
I  should say: beware of the Biblia Latinoamericana.  It was praised by many priests in the 60's and 70's, but they say it seems to be the by-product of a sort of new communist-like che-guevara-inspired wave that shaked Latin America at that time.  Now, the Catholic version that many Catholic use is the ecumenical Catholic/Protestant version Dios Habla Hoy.  It has the imprimatur of the pertinent bishop.  My granddaughter uses in her nun-run school.  You can find it in a Protestant internet site, just write BibleGateway.com and presto! you'll have a lot of versions in many languages.  By the way, Torres Amat Bible is hard to find in Catholic libraries.  But it is sold by lay bookstores as a big family Bible.  I have two, in which I have annotated family events.
(10-19-2013, 09:33 PM)voltape Wrote: [ -> ]I  should say: beware of the Biblia Latinoamericana.  It was praised by many priests in the 60's and 70's, but they say it seems to be the by-product of a sort of new communist-like che-guevara-inspired wave that shaked Latin America at that time.  Now, the Catholic version that many Catholic use is the ecumenical Catholic/Protestant version Dios Habla Hoy.  It has the imprimatur of the pertinent bishop.  My granddaughter uses in her nun-run school.  You can find it in a Protestant internet site, just write BibleGateway.com and presto! you'll have a lot of versions in many languages.  By the way, Torres Amat Bible is hard to find in Catholic libraries.  But it is sold by lay bookstores as a big family Bible.   I have two, in which I have annotated family events.

Thanks this is what I heard about the Latinoamericana translation. It has to do with liberation theology

I just bought the Torres Amat version for not too much in Catholic Company

http://www.catholiccompany.com/sagrada-b...-p1001096/