FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Something very good about Pope Francis ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Tongue-tied or nearly tongue-tied, I am about the Holy Father.

But having just - painfully - questioned him in another thread, I am posting something more positive.

Because clearly something is very, very good in this ... white space and blue added ...

GIACOMO GALEAZZI
IN MIAMI, FLORIDA
“Pope is dope!”: Across Florida, buildings are exploding with street art communicating enthusiastic messages of praise for Pope Francis. Bergoglio fever even extends across the palm trees and English-style gardens on Lincoln Road (Miami Beach, Florida) to the century-old Evangelical Community Church, uniting the builder and waitress-filled Hispanic neighbourhoods with Ocean Drive’s highly secular scene.

“I am from Argentina and I find what is going on here so moving,” Lynette Rivers said. “Francis has a big effect on everyone, particularly among the poorer sections of society who see him as their spokesperson. He is a true miracle: in just six months, he has completely turned around people’s perception of the Catholic Church. Finally we feel that the Pope is one of us.” And this is not just a superficial feeling.

In the most Hispanic diocese in the US, the Bergoglio effect translates into a rise in churchgoing and a boom in courses for adults who wish to receive the sacraments. And what was a rumour has now turned into a collective hope: the Pope could pay a visit to Florida on his trip to the US. The hope is that Francis will not just visit New York as his predecessors, Montini, Wojtyla and Ratzinger did, but also the land of immigration. “This would be a powerful gesture coming from a man who is the son of immigrants. It would be a huge gift to a city which marks the epicentre of Hispanic culture,” said Marica Morelli, an Italian, who moved to Miami with her husband. “The fact he is the first Latin American in history to be elected Pope, gives him a stronger voice on the public scene and allows him to play a far more important role in the battle to get the US government to improve conditions for immigrants.

Local parishes can clearly see why US cardinals backed Bergoglio in the Conclave. Priests and religious alike agree that they have never seen so many faithful attend mass as in the past six months. 80% of members of the archdiocese led by Polish monsignor, Thomas Wenski, are Hispanics, while 40% of the US’s Catholics are Argentinean. Fr. Gabriel Vigues of the parish of Saint Francis de Sales, in Miami Beach, is full of praise for Francis too: “What Francis is doing to revive the faith and attract those who had never approached the Catholic faith before is indescribable.

Just a short time ago, a Uruguayan girl told me that for the first time in 27 years she feels she can trust the Church. So many others like her have begun the path of baptism, first communion and confirmation,” Fr. Gabriel said. Mass is a melting pot of different nationalities, cultures and social classes; a Tower of Babel of languages and traditions. “Both millionaires and very poor people come here. Volunteers from the Saint Vincent de Paul Seminary help everyone out regardless of whether a person in Catholics or not. There are people who have been working here illegally for twenty years and have no rights so if they get sick they cannot even go to hospital for fear of being asked for identification and expelled from the country. Illegal immigrants are like ghosts. For the authorities they do not exist. Now, many are expecting Francis to ask the government and Congress to change the law,” Fr. Vigues said.

Meanwhile, Francis’ tweets have been appearing all over parish bulletins in English, Spanish and Italian. “The Pope’s actions have raised a lot of hopes and allow people to look to the future with renewed optimism,” 18-year-old Valeria Castellanos, from Venezuela, said. Gabriel Bacchin, a 27-year-old Brazilian student compared Francis’ much longed for visit to Miami to the “historic sea of people in Rio de Janeiro”. Last July, “the entire world was witness to this humble and communicative Pope’s extraordinary moral and spiritual authority.”

Alfred Delgado, a 34-year-old teacher quoted one of Cardinal Dolan’s famous phrases: “He’s marketing the message , he’s marketing in the best sense of the word.” Francis has changed the way in which the Gospel is announced, bringing people closer to the faith, after some extremely negative years, during which the paedophilia scandal  drove many faithful to seek refuge in the Protestant denominations. Francis does not offer a sweetened version of the Catholic faith. He reaffirms the pillars of Catholic doctrine, whilst focusing more on embracing those who are distant from the faith rather than condemning them. His “informal and direct style”, Amanda Ross-Gomez said  removes the distance and overcomes all the old prejudices towards the Catholic Church, which have prevented people in this nation from really relating with the pontificate as an institution.” Francis is the first Pope one can talk about without being branded a “papist”. But it is not just Hispanics who feel a connection with Pope Francis; this is the start of a new era for 65 million US Catholics.

Source: http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/wor...dos-28863/

I think it's just a personality cult
I think it reveals among other things the true and scary power of the media. But by working with that media, Pope Francis appears to be leading people back to the Sacraments.

It is very, very paradoxical and very sobering for me.
Quote:Local parishes can clearly see why US cardinals backed Bergoglio in the Conclave. Priests and religious alike agree that they have never seen so many faithful attend mass as in the past six months. 80% of members of the archdiocese led by Polish monsignor, Thomas Wenski, are Hispanics, while 40% of the US’s Catholics are Argentinean. Fr. Gabriel Vigues of the parish of Saint Francis de Sales, in Miami Beach, is full of praise for Francis too: “What Francis is doing to revive the faith and attract those who had never approached the Catholic faith before is indescribable.

I'm not quite sure I want to trust this article when it has the statement I bolded.
(10-24-2013, 08:37 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's just a personality cult

So was St. Francis, and in Italy he is still a personality cult. I don't know what's up as it has not taken complete form, but when the Church needed re-building He sent Francis, not Albertus Magnus.

tim
I found it interesting that sacraments, etc are up because my perception is around these parts, attendance is down!
Jacob the 40% could be hidden. Argentinians are not easily identified like say Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, or Cubans. Pope Francis looks like an Italian. It's like the US, it has a ton of different emigres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnography_of_Argentina

tim
(10-24-2013, 09:23 AM)Jacob Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Local parishes can clearly see why US cardinals backed Bergoglio in the Conclave. Priests and religious alike agree that they have never seen so many faithful attend mass as in the past six months. 80% of members of the archdiocese led by Polish monsignor, Thomas Wenski, are Hispanics, while 40% of the US’s Catholics are Argentinean. Fr. Gabriel Vigues of the parish of Saint Francis de Sales, in Miami Beach, is full of praise for Francis too: “What Francis is doing to revive the faith and attract those who had never approached the Catholic faith before is indescribable.

I'm not quite sure I want to trust this article when it has the statement I bolded.

I was just about to post the same. No way are 40% of US Catholics Argentinians.

Point Two (re someone else's comment):  maybe personality cult, but more likely (i.m.o.) the slavish primacy of culture (both a feature of a modernistic society and a "fruit" of Vatican 2, which placed primacy on culture, everywhere (liturgy, especially, but more than that, it seems). 

We shouldn't like or dislike JP2 or BXVI, and be moved to partake of sacraments, "because" of Polish ancestry and German ancestry.  Absurd.  The Church is first universal. 

In any case, Argentina is not the world.
By his fruits we should judge him.
I fell relieved! finally a positive comment, among so many complaints and ill-omens.  "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever". (Hebrews, 13,8)  Not only "yesterday" as some would wish. Oremus pro pontifice nostro Francisco. Dominus conservet eum, et vivificet eum, et beatum faciet eum in terra, et non tradat eum in animam inimicorum eus!
Pages: 1 2 3 4