FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What to do for Halloween
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Church regards All Saints Day as a time for honoring the saints. Today, there is a growing concern among Christians that the modern celebration of Halloween trivializes and even glamorizes evil, the occult, and superstitious and pagan practices and beliefs that are incompatible with the Christian faith. To reclaim the sacredness of the eve of All Saints, we need to create a counterculture that will serve as a Christ-centered alternative to Halloween by starting a tradition of our own. The March of Saints is a fitting tradition that can be firmly established in every parish and diocese to reclaim the sacredness of All Saints Day and to give back the glory to God.

http://pwhs.ph/index.php?option=com_cont...&Itemid=11
(11-01-2013, 03:45 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]The Church regards All Saints Day as a time for honoring the saints. Today, there is a growing concern among Christians that the modern celebration of Halloween trivializes and even glamorizes evil, the occult, and superstitious and pagan practices and beliefs that are incompatible with the Christian faith. To reclaim the sacredness of the eve of All Saints, we need to create a counterculture that will serve as a Christ-centered alternative to Halloween by starting a tradition of our own. The March of Saints is a fitting tradition that can be firmly established in every parish and diocese to reclaim the sacredness of All Saints Day and to give back the glory to God.

http://pwhs.ph/index.php?option=com_cont...&Itemid=11

Following the traditional practices of the Church does not mean we have to "start" traditions of our own. Just go and have fun and don't sin, It is quite simple, you know!
So very well said, Old Man!
I thought we were going to eke by, for the first time in FE history, without a peep about Halloween and how eeeeevil it is! Alas. Let other forums debate on whether or not it's a sin to go trick-or-treating or listen to rock music. Give me candy!
(11-01-2013, 09:08 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Give me candy!

[Image: Snickers_Salad_Recipe2.jpg]
Dang, thanks! But I forgot all about my diagnosis! I need another "cheat day"

LOL
My wife made these little gift bags with a plastic Rosary, a How to Pray The Rosary booklet and a sugar free lollipop.  We get a lot of trick or treaters where I live and I think we gave out maybe 100 of them.  I'm guessing some of them will get thrown out when parents "inspect" the candy their kids take home but there were a few parents who reacted very positively.  It is nice to know there are at least a few other Catholics in the neighborhood.  

I think Halloween can be as occult or benign as you want it to be.  Some of my Protestant friends, and a few Catholic friends don't let their kids go trick or treating because it "glorifies death" and encourages "satan worship."  Last time I checked, letting your kid dress up as a ninja or a ballerina and asking the neighbors for candy hardly counts as satan worship.  I think it is good to teach your kids that they have nothing to fear except eternal damnation, and even that they don't have to fear because that choice is up to them.  We don't have to fear darkness or death and so we make light of the macabre because it is something Christ conquered for us.  So I think as long as you are not trying to glorify death or demons, and are celebrating it in a spirit of good clean fun you are probably fine.

Unless you are type 1 diabetic like my son (and myself)  and then in that case it is a very dangerous holiday.
Here's what I did for Halloween: after I got home from work I poured out a glass of

[Image: th?id=H.4621063886931015&w=146&h=186&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7]

It was "scary" good Smile
Recently a priest on some blog was asked what he thought about parents who shunned Halloween and he said "I think they are being good puritans."  LOL

Our older kids dressed as saints and our little ones put on whatever old Halloween costumes we could find for them and we went trick or treating in our little gated neighborhood. It was cute to watch my son dressed as Saint Michael wielding his sword and yelling in his deepest voice "WHO is like God?" (He is 5).

I suppose it depends on each family and the environment they are in etc. Some of the stuff out there is REALLY sick and dark. While looking for costume items one year we went to one store and the theme was these bloody ugly looking demonic babies everywhere, flying around on the ceiling, it was so diabolically creepy. But what about skulls etc? On some level on Hallows Eve shouldn't we be reminded of the horror of hell, that we don't want to go there and of our mortality? I always think just the skeleton (not made dark or occult) is a nice decoration to see in terms of being reminded of our eventual death and judgement.
(11-01-2013, 11:25 AM)FaithandLove Wrote: [ -> ]But what about skulls etc? On some level on Hallows Eve shouldn't we be reminded of the horror of hell, that we don't want to go there and of our mortality? I always think just the skeleton (not made dark or occult) is a nice decoration to see in terms of being reminded of our eventual death and judgement.

Exactly. It's one day of the year that we face our greatest fear. DEATH...and yes, for the Christian, HELL. Ghosts, werewolves, vampires, witches, skeletons, grim reapers, etc are all symbols of death, or danger. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF HALLOWEEN. We have a little fun with our fears. We hang out with monsters, tell ghost stories, watch horror movies. Tis the season too. In parts of the northern hemisphere, flowers are dying, leaves are falling, winds are howling, the air is cold and clammy like a tomb. It's human nature to mimic nature. It's instinctual and the whole "devil's holiday" thing is a 20th century Evangelical Protestant invention.
Pages: 1 2